Angiogram as a diagnostic tool

The second neurosurgeon I recently saw has arranged for me to have an angiogram to determine whether I should have a craniotomy or endovascular coiling for my aneurysm. I was surprised that he could not determine this from my CT scan as the first neurosurgeon did.

I find the procedure scary, but will go forward, because what choice do I have.

What is your experience with angiograms and differing opinions?

I had an mri and a ct that found 2 annies. My angiogram found 5. It was an uncomfortable experience but no need to dread. The pain in your leg afterward is more then they let on so also keep that in mind. Good luck

I'd probably feel better knowing treatment was based on an angiogram since it gives a better look at things. the angio itself is a nuisance though, it just takes a while then you have to lie flat for several hours which had my back cramping up.

Thank you! I wondered about finding more aneurysms myself so your post is incredibly helpful. And the information about the pain afterward is too, because I already have a pain issue called CRPS in my right side. This monster CRPS can spread from a pain trigger.

Momof6monsters said:

I had an mri and a ct that found 2 annies. My angiogram found 5. It was an uncomfortable experience but no need to dread. The pain in your leg afterward is more then they let on so also keep that in mind. Good luck

Thank you for mentioning this issue as I am quite concerned about lying flat for a long period. After the sedative wore off from a colonoscopy and endoscopy, I had a few months ago, I experienced pain so severe I could not walk without crutches for weeks after the procedures. I suspect it had to do with the positioning. Hopefully, there is something that can be done to help with this.

sharong said:

I’d probably feel better knowing treatment was based on an angiogram since it gives a better look at things. the angio itself is a nuisance though, it just takes a while then you have to lie flat for several hours which had my back cramping up.

When I originally had CT's & MRI's w/o contrast, in two hospitals to investigate my severe head/eye pain and then right eye completely shutting, only "a possible mass" was seen.

It wasn't until I went to MGH in Boston, by ambulance for full scans that the large aneurysm was found. After the Angiogram (dye inserted) 3 aneurysm were finally found. Thank goodness!!

I was asleep mostly during the "lie flat time" and staff was great making me comfortable. I must say the worry over the procedure was much worse the actual. I was home the same day and took it easy for a few days, no lifting over 5 pounds or so for a week without pain.

I wish you well.

I asked my doc that question when they found the aneurysm and he said it gave them a closer deeper look. I figured the angiogram was scary but undiscovered aneurysms were even more so. Before my angio, the doc thought they'd be coiling. After the angio he discovered that the aneursym's shape wouldn't allow for that so it was clipped.

Starbirder,
Thank you, I hope my experience is similar to yours.

starbirder said:

When I originally had CT’s & MRI’s w/o contrast, in two hospitals to investigate my severe head/eye pain and then right eye completely shutting, only “a possible mass” was seen.

It wasn’t until I went to MGH in Boston, by ambulance for full scans that the large aneurysm was found. After the Angiogram (dye inserted) 3 aneurysm were finally found. Thank goodness!!

I was asleep mostly during the “lie flat time” and staff was great making me comfortable. I must say the worry over the procedure was much worse the actual. I was home the same day and took it easy for a few days, no lifting over 5 pounds or so for a week without pain.

I wish you well.

Harlylena, you are right, the doctor mentioned several factors that needed to be explored in order to determine the best treatment.

harlylena said:

I asked my doc that question when they found the aneurysm and he said it gave them a closer deeper look. I figured the angiogram was scary but undiscovered aneurysms were even more so. Before my angio, the doc thought they’d be coiling. After the angio he discovered that the aneursym’s shape wouldn’t allow for that so it was clipped.

Campanile...did your neuro-doc talked to you about potential if continuing your angio to coil/stent...if that is what you have decided to do? IF...they can/would proceed...vs the angios now...and, wait...and. start all over again... There are a lot of pieces/parts...from starting w/the access in the groin...e.g. potential once ...vs starting all over again... based on what he has seen in your CTs/written report...

The reversal here...is your comfort level...and your advocate...and how alert or non-alert you may be thru the diagnostic angio...So may depend a lot on what your doc has already covered w/you..

Patio,

I thought of that, too. I hate doing these procedures multiple times, particularly with CRPS.

Yes...when the procedure can follow diagnostics...it does reduce the volume of rad/contrast materials..

but, do think about the time you will be lying in (possibly tied to) the angio table...

You can pull up images of this online...if you have not already...The +/- of choices...

Do you have an advocate w/you at all your MD appointments? Prayers that you do...

Campanile said:

Patio,

I thought of that, too. I hate doing these procedures multiple times, particularly with CRPS.

Campanile, I have had many angiograms. After rupture they were scheduled every six months, but I had an unbelievable headache with neck stiffness and nausea. The 1st CT scan couldn’t find the problem, another trip to Wake and their CT technology found it. Little burger had grown behind the coiling. Make sure to tell the Surgeon about your CRPS and tell them about the after effects from the colonoscopy. Each time my Doc went in, she agreed to fix anything she could. But there was a warning that if I wasn’t progressing or developed another one, she would do a crainiotomy. We agreed I would get to spend a few minutes with my partner before she cracked my skull open. I’m very thankful that never happened.

After she pulls the tube out of my groin, she would put pressure on the site. The last few times she had to put a bag and weight it down. It’s a few hours of keeping the leg down to prevent bleeding, but I was allowed to move my other leg after she found out I had spondylislothesis that was operated on. I wasn’t allowed to leave the hospital until everything was functioning, eating and urinating. I usually napped, read a book and slept some more. The anesthesia can be trying on a brain so don’t be surprised if your a little fuzzy thinking for awhile. I don’t have to have anymore angiograms, just the MRI and MRA, she’s following my back now as well.

Perhaps you know a good massage therapist that can help you before and after.

Moltroub,

Thank you for the advice. I will contact the doctor’s assistant to see if they can come up with a plan to keep me comfortable-I have hip bursitis and possible Periformis Syndrome, too. Too many issues IMO.

Our bodies are getting older than our minds…Maybe they can put some pillows or rolled towels to help keep the pressure off. If one side is worse than the other, perhaps they can go in the good side? My left side is used for the angiograms, my right for the coiling…I have strange arteries and veins or maybe I am just strange. Good luck and keep us posted!

I totally understand about angios in the groin. I have an upcoming angio for my aneurysm and more than anything else, I woory about the catheter site due to scarring! I have had so many catheters that way with a couple heart stents, a heart ablation procedure and numerous coronary artery angios. Tried to talk the neurosurgeon into using radial artery but he said no, it is a straighter shot through femoral artery. I mentioned the radial as I had one of my coronary stents done through m wrist. Got there in the AM, home in the afternoon with a new stent and back to work next day. No plugs, not laying still for hours or any of that.

Anyway, good luck to you

Hopefully the staff will listen to me. I just started back to almost normal walking for short distances-I don’t want to regress.

Moltroub said:
Our bodies are getting older than our minds....Maybe they can put some pillows or rolled towels to help keep the pressure off. If one side is worse than the other, perhaps they can go in the good side? My left side is used for the angiograms, my right for the coiling...I have strange arteries and veins or maybe I am just strange. Good luck and keep us posted!

OneMoreW, thank you for your post. You are a true angiogram veteran. I hope your next one is uneventful.

OneMoreW said:

I totally understand about angios in the groin. I have an upcoming angio for my aneurysm and more than anything else, I woory about the catheter site due to scarring! I have had so many catheters that way with a couple heart stents, a heart ablation procedure and numerous coronary artery angios. Tried to talk the neurosurgeon into using radial artery but he said no, it is a straighter shot through femoral artery. I mentioned the radial as I had one of my coronary stents done through m wrist. Got there in the AM, home in the afternoon with a new stent and back to work next day. No plugs, not laying still for hours or any of that.

Anyway, good luck to you

I have my 6 month postop angio coming up and i DO NOT WANT TO DO IT. The neurosurgeon who did my coiling wants to do it bc its protocol, but i see another neurosurgeon who only does MRAs. So im getting an MRA FIRST before i do my angio

Ask the MD who is preforming your angiogram about your difficulty lying flat. There are closure devices that can be used to close the hole in the artery that will reduce the amount of time you have to remain in the bed. I have had 3 angiograms and generally am in recovery for 1 hour and then 2 hours in the post-op area. Three hours is much better than 6!

Campanile said:

Thank you for mentioning this issue as I am quite concerned about lying flat for a long period. After the sedative wore off from a colonoscopy and endoscopy, I had a few months ago, I experienced pain so severe I could not walk without crutches for weeks after the procedures. I suspect it had to do with the positioning. Hopefully, there is something that can be done to help with this.

sharong said:

I'd probably feel better knowing treatment was based on an angiogram since it gives a better look at things. the angio itself is a nuisance though, it just takes a while then you have to lie flat for several hours which had my back cramping up.