Has Anyone Had An Angiogram/Arteriogram?

Hi nice folks out there. Thank you for all of your replies. I had a consult with Dr. Barrow at Emory yesterday and we are going to wait and watch my aneuryism. He suggested an angiogram to acheive 100% peace of mind but only if I want to. Otherwise, it's annual MRIs to check for enlargement of the aneuryism. I don't want to do the angiogram. I had a bad allergic reaction to the contrast when I had my CT scan and don't want to go through that again. Also am concerned about the opening in the femoral artery. Has anyone out there been through this experience and do you have any thoughts about it?

Thank you,

Susan

Great news. My aneurysm was found through an artriogram. Mine did not show up on MRI. They were looking for something else when mine was found. I also had one done during my clipping surgery. I did not really fret that much about the procedure. I had not complications from them. I had to lie still for a few hours afterwards with a small bean bag weight on the incision site. There are many people on this site living with unruptured annies. They can let you know about mri vs artriogram. I am not doctor, but to me an artriogram would show more. I too felt wierd afterwards from the dye. They gave me benydryl and that seemed to help. Glad you are not facing any other decisions now with clipping or coiling, only mri/mra or artriogram. Hang in there and know you can get answers here. Keep us posted.

Hi Susan, I had an angiogram done a week before my surgery. A previous MRI only detected 1 aneurysm but the angiogram showed another. Fortunately, it was in the same area as the other one.

While the angiogram is not the most pleasant of procedures it could have saved my life as the one that it picked up turned out to have a more irregular shape then the first and my surgeon said it probably would have ruptured within a year.

I didn't have the allergic reaction that you had to the contrast. Is there anything else they can give you?

Thank you so much for sharing your experience, Robyn. I'm going to do it.

Valerie,

Thank you so much for writing me to tell me of your experience. They can give me steroids to prevent allergic reaction, I just don't trust it. Need to just be brave and do it. Thanks again. Hope you are well

Hi Susan,

I believe the contrast materials are different. They mentioned to me that there are three different contrasts used, one for CT, one for MRI and one for Angio, but I could be wrong. I do know that I had a reaction not to the dye, but to the sedative they used, Versed. My tongue started swelling the moment they injected it and they needed to give me benedryl to counteract it. I've had an angiogram and the PED, both through the femoral. It was scary but I found the worst of it was my imagination, and the pushing on my groin to close the artery. I think it was worth it to know however. What type of reaction did you have? From what I went through, I noticed they were quick and ready with their fingers on the benedryl button...lol.

Tara

Hi, Susan. Just had my follow up angiogram yesterday. Went extremely well. Being a health care professional, I don’t really have a fear of needles or medical procedures. My IV was started and I was given conscious sedation. I was awake for the procedure. I was not anxious so I didn’t require much medication. If you prefer more meds, you can receive more. They want you to be comfortable. The femoral artery cath was threaded with ease. The procedure was quick and painless. I was required to stay for 2 hours after the procedure to make sure no post procedure bleeding occurred. Today, the femoral area is just sore to the touch, only. No problems.
Typically, when you have an allergy you are given premeds. Usually, steroids like Prednisone or Decadron.
I experienced a ruptured aneurysm and subarachnoid hemorrhage in April and also have a smaller on (2-3 mm), the doc is monitoring. Yesterday, it was stable having not increased in size from ~6 months ago.
Hope everything goes well for you!
Teresa

Hi Teresa. Thank you so very much for writing to me. This is exactly what I wanted to hear - a description of the procedure. I had a frightening reaction the last time I had contrast, even after they administered Benadryl. Was shaking uncontrollably for about 30 minutes. Thought I was going into cardiac arrest. But I didn't. This time, they have written a scrip for Prednisone and something else. I will just continue to remind them before the procedure. I hope that your aneurysm does not cause any trouble for the rest of your life. Mine is also being monitored. Stay well and take care,

Susan

hi Susan! yes i was fearful of the femoral artery because i'm on warfarin blood thinner but worried for nothing!! the scariest part was ripping off the seal in the shower the next day or 2 after and watching pea sized clot plop out into bathtub but again worried about nothing! if dr Barrow recommends it i would definately do it-anyway best of luck & we'll keep you in our prayers! keep us posted-we're "pullin" for you

Hey Ron. I don't know how I woudl get through any of this without you and the rest of the wonderfully kind people on this forum. Thank you so much. I will be brave (and keep my seal on a lot longer!)

hahaha

Susan

The angiogram definitely shows more than the CT. I had a CT, which led to an MRI, when my AVM was diagnosed. I then had an angio so that my surgeon could start planning treatment. One of my aneurysms wasn't found until my 2nd angio, which was on the day I had Gamma Knife radiation to start shrinking my AVM. The 2nd aneurysm wasn't found until they had my head open to clip the 1st one.

I've never had a reaction to the contrast dies, so I can't comment on that. I didn't feel anything when they made the incision in the femoral artery either time. For me, the worst part both times was lying flat for 6 hours--it made my lower back hurt. And I was bored. And my family kept bumping my bed, which annoyed me since I was already cranky from not eating & not having my morning mocha.

After the first one, I had some discomfort walking at my full stride for a little over a week. After the 2nd one, I was walking normally within a few days.

The most surprising part was being shaved by a male nurse--both times.

Hi Susan, I echo what everyone says about angiograms. They often show more than scans. They originally thought my aneurysm was a small berry with no irregularities. The angiogram showed that it was box shaped with irregular edges and bumps. This type is more likely to burst. Because of what my angiogram showed, my clipping was scheduled. The surgery was just in time, according to my doctor. Glad you are proceeding. The angiogram helps your doctor get a better look and make a more informed decision. Sending you positive thoughts, Mary

You are so funny! Still laughing. Thanks for sharing your story.

I had a mRI then an angiogram. I had no side effects expect a bruise that went from my groin to my knee. No one told me that was a possiblity. Only rodeo clowns have that kind of bruising. Now I knw the bruising is an after effect of the procedure. I was in a twilight ’ sleep ’ . I could respond to questions but did not initiated any conversation. I was off work for a few days. Just follow the follow up instructions . No heavy lifting.no sretching…

Hi Susan,

I've had 4 angiograms plus the embolization of my annie (so 5), all through the femoral artery. Mine have been virtually painless. The worst part is laying flat for the the 5 hours after it's done, takes patience. I will have one more follow-up next year and then hopefully, be done. The femoral artery "seals" itself after hard pressure is applied for about 20 minutes. I would ask questions to your dr. about the dye that is used. I believe what was used for mine is iodine based.

My dr. says it's the best procedure for seeing the complete picture of the annie. I am comfortable with the procedure and very happy with the last 2 results. :) I will do it again.

Keep asking questions, sharing your concerns, the BAF is here to help!

Hugs,

Karen

Susan,
To reassure you, I have a severe allergy to CT contrast. Everytime I get a CT or angiogram (I’ve had two of my head in the past year), my doctors premedicate me with Prednisone 50mg to be taken 13 hours pre-procedure, 7 hours pre-procedure, and 1 hour pre-procedure. Also had to take Benadryl 50mg taken 1 hour pre-procedure. I was good to go with that standard “allergy dosing”. The day oft pipeline procedure, the anesthesiologist was not happy about me taking medicines by mouth before the procedure since I was supposed to have not had anything to eat or drink since midnight, but my doctors walked in and tried to set them straight. Then the surgical schedule got messed up that day due to an emergency case, and so they ended up giving me IV steroids and Benadryl in the surgical room. My doctor was NOT happy with anesthesia messing up that day. Oh we’ll, I still did fine though. I think the oral steroids are just a bit easier on your system. The IV steroids cause my blood pressure and blood sugars to really elevate an I don’t have diabetes nor hypertension.

So basically…don’t worry about the allergy. Your doctor will give you a prescription to prevent a reaction. You just have to remember to take the meds on time.

Rosemary

susan, i am also allergic to the contrast. my reaction 10 years ago i can assure you was the worse they had every seen. so just like the others, i took the predisone and benedryl and it was perfectly fine.I had my aneurysm for 10 years before the PED procedure came along. i had my annual MRA. i chose to have the procedure because I didnt want to think about it anymore. mine was 10mm and behind my right eye. it was wide neck.I had my procedure in jun and go back dec 12 to see if i hear those words, it is gone.sincerely,denise

Hi Susan ... I too am allergic to the "contrast" and you know what? Angiograms are the only way right now they can check my coiled annie on my basilar artery tip...Doctors prep me for allergy reaction...I have gone through a total of 4 to date...I am sick afterwards for about 1 month and "it is what it is"...there is nothing I can do if I want to know how my aneurysm is doing...the last angio showed that my coils have compacted and blood is again feeding my annie...

You have to do what is best for You...and if you donot have faith in your Doctors, then find new ones...

Hope this helps you out...~ Colleen

Hi Colleen. Thank you so much for sharing your experience. You sound like a very brave person and I pray that they can do something to fix your coiling.

Denise,

I pray that you WILL hear those words too. Thank you so much for writing me. It really helps.

Take care,

Susan