Angiogram as a diagnostic tool

Jennifer,

I had a ruptured basilar type artery aneurysm in 2013. My neurosurgeon ordered an mRA, reviewed that and then performed an angiogram a couple of weeks later. He explained to me that an mRA does not provide picture as well as an angiogram will and he needed to do it for comparison because I would eventually be monitored by mRA only. I had a total of three mRAs and three angiograms for follow up. Because the coils can be pushed up into the aneurysm and the highest risk is during the first two years, he felt is was necessary to monitor my aneurysm closely.

As for the angiogram, piece of cake! It's normal to be nervous and any procedure is not without some small risk, however I had the option of being sedated during the angiograms. Being the type A, want to know what he was doing and what the results were without having to ask my family, I asked for NO sedation for the procedures and remained awake the through all three. Other than some minor discomfort when my groin was numbed, it really wasn't a big deal. Even if you have only an mRA, if there is any degree of compaction of the coils, you will still need an angiogram to evaluate if any additional coiling is needed. Best wishes to you and hang in there... this is an overwhelming experience at times.

Jennifer said:

I have my 6 month postop angio coming up and i DO NOT WANT TO DO IT. The neurosurgeon who did my coiling wants to do it bc its protocol, but i see another neurosurgeon who only does MRAs. So im getting an MRA FIRST before i do my angio

I just re-read my Angiogram report & discharge papers and indeed the MynxGrip Vascular Closure Device saves lay down time. Still have to take it easy, no heavy lifting or swimming for a week or so. Do tell your surgeon all your concerns and I even spoke to the Anesthesiologist about those issues. You have received such good advice, do keep in touch.

Mary J said:

Ask the MD who is preforming your angiogram about your difficulty lying flat. There are closure devices that can be used to close the hole in the artery that will reduce the amount of time you have to remain in the bed. I have had 3 angiograms and generally am in recovery for 1 hour and then 2 hours in the post-op area. Three hours is much better than 6!

Campanile said:

Thank you for mentioning this issue as I am quite concerned about lying flat for a long period. After the sedative wore off from a colonoscopy and endoscopy, I had a few months ago, I experienced pain so severe I could not walk without crutches for weeks after the procedures. I suspect it had to do with the positioning. Hopefully, there is something that can be done to help with this.

sharong said:

I'd probably feel better knowing treatment was based on an angiogram since it gives a better look at things. the angio itself is a nuisance though, it just takes a while then you have to lie flat for several hours which had my back cramping up.

My Pre-admission testing was interesting. I ended up in the ER, because I had two wake up headaches with vomiting. That night the scenario repeated itself and I was again in the ER. Last night I took everything recommended by the doctors, which stopped the cycle. I am so beat I hope I am up to the procedure.

Good luck Campanile! I’ll keep you in my thoughts!

Sorry to hear you had some trouble at pre-op, ugh hate that stomach distress, Do try Zofran, even type that melts on tongue, no need to swallow!!! Remember you are in one of the best places to be treated. Rest and enjoy the city. Best Wishes

I’ve had two angiograms. They always turn up different things from the CT. I wouldn’t be happy for someone to operate on my brain and make that call without having all the info

Moltroub said:

Campanile, I have had many angiograms. After rupture they were scheduled every six months, but I had an unbelievable headache with neck stiffness and nausea. The 1st CT scan couldn't find the problem, another trip to Wake and their CT technology found it. Little burger had grown behind the coiling. Make sure to tell the Surgeon about your CRPS and tell them about the after effects from the colonoscopy. Each time my Doc went in, she agreed to fix anything she could. But there was a warning that if I wasn't progressing or developed another one, she would do a crainiotomy. We agreed I would get to spend a few minutes with my partner before she cracked my skull open. I'm very thankful that never happened.

After she pulls the tube out of my groin, she would put pressure on the site. The last few times she had to put a bag and weight it down. It's a few hours of keeping the leg down to prevent bleeding, but I was allowed to move my other leg after she found out I had spondylislothesis that was operated on. I wasn't allowed to leave the hospital until everything was functioning, eating and urinating. I usually napped, read a book and slept some more. The anesthesia can be trying on a brain so don't be surprised if your a little fuzzy thinking for awhile. I don't have to have anymore angiograms, just the MRI and MRA, she's following my back now as well.

Perhaps you know a good massage therapist that can help you before and after.

I just had my initial angiogram, and truly the only part I felt weirdness about was the dye in my arteries. as I was awake not alert, just like ewww dont like this feeling, my team was and is amazing, and another annie was found undetected by mra mri six months prior, I had the most problem with groin bleed as I think that I might have disrupted the seal/ healing, and upon discharge I was wheeled back to have bleed stop, much bruising and pain, but thankful for life, and team of angels that my skillful and compassionate team are. I am less frightened to schedule date to address the two annies, one too small to coil, my doc is deciding what to do to get both at once. due to this site, I asked for meds to prevent any possible allergic reactions and was given prednisone and benadryl and tylenol. best to us all, Ellie