Stress or sick?

I am wondering if stress is making me sick? First of all, I have pretty bad acid reflux and allergies. The last few days ai have developed flu like symptoms. No fever- just headache, nausea and tummy pain. Of course, aside from surgery I have a sick cat.
Harness and scratchy throat could be drainage. Not sure about the headaches and nausea. My nerves are off the chain, which is backing up my bowels.
Am I sick or just stressed . I just took a nausea pill and drank some water.
I’m not sure holding off surgery is going to make it any better.
If the cat woukd poop that would help. I am not sure what to do
Any suggestions or anyone maybe I just need rd to be left alone for a day. Has anyone else experienced this?

1 Like

My entire aneurysm saga unfolded during covid. In the week preceeding several procedures, I was sure I had it. I actually never did. Sometimes I had a very severe sore throat, so bad I thought sure they wouldn’t proceed even if i tested negative. That never happened. I used home testing, and the day before I was always tested by the hospital for covid and it always came clear. Our minds can do crazy things. I know my allergies played a role because family and friends only visited outside with me in the days ahead of a procedure.

In addition to covid fears, my digestion was a wreck. But having said all this. I NEVER diminish someone else’s symptoms and blame stress. I dont believe in that. It’s insensitive and infers we are responsible for our own discomfort (though sometimes that is true). One thing I was asked when i reported feeling unwell, but was covid free, was whether i had a fever. You could check that.

You’re getting close to the big day so I’d hesitate to self medicate too much without approval. I was allowed certain allergy meds ahead - do you have any okay’d drugs for that? BUT i was endovascular so please don’t base your own self care on my situation. I will say that as you get closer, you will hopefully be more able to tell if you are genuinely ill so try to let things play out. Don’t forget, it’s ok to ultimately leave it in their hands whether or not to proceed…this isn’t some little in office procedure where they will penalize you for last minute cancellations. They are also your partner in this undertaking and they are used to dealing with things like this.

Did you get anything for anxiety? I’d ask your team for something and see of that helps too. So sorry you are dealing with all this. There is unlimited angst ahead of these surgeries, then the next thing you know you’re under anesthesia and blissfully unaware, then waking up and wondering why you tortured yourself. Of course, i continue to do just that to myself every time.

Also, try to distract yourself as much possible (i know, easier said than done). I save up some good series i like to binge watch ahead of things. Also get out if you can, fresh air is better than most meds. Even a simple walk can be calming.

You have a lot of people on this site cheering for you. Not sure if you are religious, but i will definitely be praying for you nonetheless.

2 Likes

Thank you. I took a Xanax 5 o’clock this morning and napped for quite a while. If my cat weren’t sick, I don’t think I would have as much anxiety. But I can’t get her to poop and I’ve spent like $1000 on it and I can’t afford any more money and so it’s driving me crazy. I think her stress is related to mine. I do not have a fever. I have checked several times. It is somewhere between 97.9 and 98.2. The highest ever got was 98.6. I have horrible headaches but again stress. I don’t have any congestion in my chest. It’s just more in my head, but then again, I’ve been crying so that might be something else. I’ve had so many other surgeries. So very many. They did other me with this one does

Hello Abbycat70!
I wish I could do something to help you feel better. It is completely normal to feel the way you do right now. I hope that you asked your mom to stay longer with you. You will need some support for at least 2 weeks.

Sending hugs :hugs: :hugs:

I think for humans and animals alike they first thing the doctors do is treat the symptoms and then look for underlying cause. My allergies can certainly cause a headache, usually a sinus headache. My Allergist recommended a neti pot, a warm or cool cloth over either the eyes or the back of the neck, different people respond
better to one than the other. I used to run fevers with allergy attacks and thus had flu like symptoms a lot.

Constipation is often a sign of being dehydrated or so I’ve been told. Since I have coils, I’m not allowed to strain while having a bowel movement. The GI PA recommended a probiotic and a very mild laxative, I think it was Miralax, I get the store brand name so pay less for the same thing. Always check with your doctor when self medicating. Sometimes I just eat a few prunes. Besides of course hydrating a little more.

Was the Vet able to diagnose any underlying cause for your cat? Our wonderful Labrador was always getting into something she shouldn’t have and Vet trips can be expensive, especially the Emergency Vet.

I remember with our cat, Molly, she became constipated and so of course ran her down to our Vet. They put her on an IV, an enema I think or manually removed the compaction, some special Vet prescription food for awhile (she didn’t like canned food, so that was a struggle) and a few other things that I don’t remember. I remember the worse thing was that she wasn’t allowed to go outside for a bit and she did not like that one iota. But we had to keep taking fecal samples down to the Vet. We also had to get her another litter box, so one cat two boxes and a Labrador who loved to eat poop​:nauseated_face::crazy_face::joy:. My cousin has had cats for decades and I remember she had to give one of hers some rescue remedy as that cat was extremely stress prone. It works on one of our rescues who doesn’t like thunder storms nor last night’s noise.

When I’m stressed, which happens on occasion, I either would weed my garden or drink a cup of hot tea and read a good book, sometimes all three. When I don’t feel good, I always drink hot tea. I like Janet Evanovich though I don’t like that she takes a few chapters in each book to introduce her characters, Catherine Coulter and just about any mystery book. I prefer a book I can physically hold, but I often download the free books available online. There’s a plethora of them out there, one of them is Project Gutenberg as I like books written in the 1800’s and early 1900’s, they challenge my word building skills.

Walking is a great way to reduce stress, how’s that toe healing up? Do you have any hobbies? Hobbies are also a good way to reduce stress.

Wishing you all the best

I feel like I’m getting a cold and that worries me. Or sinus anyway, I don’t have a fever. My chest is not getting tested. I’m not coughing it’s more that my nose is stuffy and it’s draining into my throat which is kind of making my throat gunky.

I can’t believe I’m getting sick. I just bought myself a little Netti pot and I’m going to stay in bed and sleep as much as I can. This cat is having issues and I’ve taken her to the doctor twice and I just can’t do it again. So she needs to get better.

Hope the Neti pot helps you as much as it does me. It can be sort of gross with all the mucus coming out but it’s always good to be able to breath lol. Just make sure to clean the pot well. I soak it in a bleach solution at least once a week and let it air dry but every time I use it I rinse with the hottest water I can. Our hot water heater is set to 160, yes it is hot, but we have no children in the house.

What is the Vet saying about your cat?

Do you remember when pet insurance came out and everyone thought it was a grand plan? Our Vet thought so too at first. She didn’t push it, just said to consider it. By the next year she was telling folks to just set aside money as it wasn’t covering everything. We had always set aside a small portion of our income. Our pets seem to end up at the Vet a lot. Trouble had to have two knee replacements before she was 4. Folks were telling us they wouldn’t spend that much on a dog, in the end, she’s the one who I credit for saving my life when I ruptured. She woke me up when I passed out. I think it was two or three years ago Ohana impelled her chest and we had to rush her to the Emergency Vet. Within two weeks, Nina impelled her side and back to the same Vet! It was during COVID and we couldn’t go in with them. The Vet came out and asked if she needed to come to the house and help clear out the woods. I told her it might be easier to eradicate the squirrels they’re chasing😂. Why they can’t injure themselves or get bit by snakes or wasps and have reactions during the times our regular Vet is open is beyond my knowledge. Trouble was kind enough to have swallowed an entire prescription bottle of Zyrtec but it was during lunch hours and the office assistant got it mixed up with Xanax. Do you know how hard it is to give a tablespoon of hydrogen peroxide to a Labrador? I finally just tipped the bottle down her throat. We did find remnants of the remote control we had lost and a trouser sock…

Some replies are not valid, My dr said stress can cause stomach ulcers for one thing, i never knew this untill a friend reported his ulcers, i’m trying to immigrate this friend from Nairobi to be my caregiver thru medicaid. i doubt you have ulcers but who knows? I would ask dr, he will have good meds to help you, tc! stay safe and Blessed!

She is at the vet right now. Getting her second enema. They’ve done a couple of x-rays and they said that there’s nothing they can see as far as tumors or ulcers or anything. Just said to keep giving her lots of water and also a little MiraLAX. Get some food that has more fiber. I’m gonna go pick her up in a couple hours. They are going to give her butt bath before I pick her up. Ha ha.

1 Like

Do you use distilled water with your pot?

You can. I live on a well with very good water. We have it tested every few years, so I just use warm tap water, seems to dissolve the mix better. Experience has taught me not to make it too hot🤪

Good news for your cat! I just remembered the first time I met Dr. Martin, a neighbor had a cat they thought was pregnant. But the mass hadn’t moved for days and so to a Vet we went, she also was constipated. He didn’t have any assistants back then and quizzed me as if I was in a class…Cat had a hairball but it became lodged in its intestines and so had to be flushed out. I can do blood all day long, but a hairball coming out either end gags me. He was still quizzing me well after he sold the business to Dr. Mitchell (our Vet for 27 -28 years now) and concentrated on his passion of large animals. If I’d met him before I went to university, I probably would have become a Vet😂

Good Morning
I believe you’re stressed and with as you mentioned allergies. Post nasal drip can make you nauseous. Sore throat, headache could be a sinus infection. Allegra D. I get a non stop sinus infections all the time which it is a symptom of a brain aneurysm. For the stress……go to YouTube and fine some meditation sounds… sit your butt down for an hour and take care of you! I hope you fell better soon!

1 Like

Thank you. I feel like all is worry about someone else. Even my cat. Maybe a few days in the hospital will allow me to rest.

I hope you get a private room so you can rest! The new NS wing is much nicer than the old, everyone gets a private room now at Baptist. The first was set up more like a barracks with only three private rooms used. I danced out of there the first time I was released and ended up right back in a few hours later, the next time they released me, they asked if I wanted to dance again. I said yes I do, but not here, I’m taking the lazy man’s route, wheel me out Scotty!:joy:

1 Like

Sounds like what I’ve been going through. Doctors aren’t sure but possibly anxiety or pain. I tried a couple meds and did not do well. Just dealing with it on day by day basis. A good therapist helped with anxiety such as meditation, relaxation, and breathing techniques. Also joined a group therapy with people going through similar issues helped a lot. We are not alone. You’ll be fine is what you have to convince yourself cause no else will. Keep us updated, and always wishing you the best from a former educator.

1 Like