Stress and Aneurysm

I have been under quite a bit of stress over the past few months that are unrelated to the aneurysm. I have noticed that when I am upset or stressed, the pain in my head intensifies, as well as my vision problems and dizziness. Is this normal? Has anyone else experienced similar symptoms? I was told that stress does not affect the anuerysm.

Hi Valencia...one thing that amazes me through this journey is that everybody is told something different...actually this was a big thing after my coiled brain aneurysm...The Doctors had stated several times to me and Hubby...no unnecessary stress...esp that first year of healing...if I am stressed out...my palsy in my eye gets worse...the headaches and neck pain get worse...and it will often raise my Blood pressure which is a "no~no" with brain aneurysm's...~ Colleen

Colleen, thank you for sharing your experience. My neck pains have also worsened due to my stress level. I’ve not had a good night’s sleep since the procedure on April 8th. The pain in my neck and head have made it extremely difficult to sleep. The lack of sleep adds to the stress. Although my doctor told me stress doesn’t affect my aneurysm, I plan on erring on the side of caution. I know my symptoms worsen when I am upset or feeling stressed.

Did the doctor give you anything for anxiety? I don't like taking anything but sometimes it is in our best interest to do so. Lucy

Lucy, aside from the blood thinner, I was given pain medication. I wasn’t given anything for anxiety. I didn’t think to ask for any. I am already on 14 medications…I guess he didn’t want to add another one.

Valencia,

Have you tried yoga or othrer relaxation therapy at home / anywhere for when sensing stress?

Who told you that stress does not affect the aneurysm?

Pat

Hi Pat. I have not tried yoga yet, but I do want to try it. Everyone I know that does yoga, says it relaxes them.
One of my neurosurgeons told me that stress doesn’t affect the aneurysm. I thought that was odd, but I figured since he was the doctor, he knew best.

Valencia,

If you are starting yoga...ask your doc...if you have had any pain/discomfort in your lower back re: your positioning on the angio table (bed?) Also let an instructor know of your history...

Did your neurosurgeon explain if (s)he meant that stress doesn't affect before the symptoms/ diagnosis...or during or after treatment?

What has your PCP Internal Med doc said? Recently I found the Internal Med Association on-line...fascinating "caring for the whole patient" and "caring for life"... you may want to review that... www.acponline.org

Also suggest reviewing the BAF "understanding" site if you have not already done it... and, there is "ask the doc" site on general questions re: when stress may affect aneurysms...e.g. i ndevelopemtngrowth...and if it may continue after treatment? Hope I made sense ???...

(if I remember) ...you had the new PED...and have you addressed this with your Group PED? Because they have current to apx two year results...

Warm wishes and prayers... please keep us updated...

Pat

Pat,

Thank you for all of this great information. I will definitely take a look into everything. As I think about it, my neurosurgeon did not provide an explanation about stress and I was so overwhelmed with the details of the diagnosis that It didn’t occur to me to ask more questions in regards to stress.

I have not seen my Internal Medicine doctor since my procedure, but will follow up with him very soon. Yes, I had the new PED procedure. I will definitely pose the same question in the PED group. I’m new, so I’m still learning my way around the BAF site and the Support Community forum.

Thank you again Pat. You have been a tremendous help.

I too have noticed if I m stressed or anxious about something I end up with a headache. Before the aneurysm I did Pilates to relax. I used one of the balance balls. I loved it. Now the motion of doing a sit-up on the ball affects my vertigo and over I go. I’m sure it’s comical to watch but it’s not much fun. So I have turned into an avid walker.

Valencia,

Every litle bit we can share, we pray is helpful to another....I am so glad you have connection to the Ped Group...but also pray that you keep us informed...so that we can also refer anyone new to the most helpful confections...

Hugs and prayer for your success...and our updates...

Pat