Recovery time after coiling

hi guys,

What is the average time for recovery after coiling? Any side effects?

Meeting my surgeon next week to discuss it all. Any questions I should ask him?

Thanks,
Sarah

Bloomsie, I have had two coils, one from a rupture and the second from an aneurysm found six months later. I was told about two years for my brain to heal from the rupture. With the second coiling I believe it has taken longer for the plug to heal in my femoral artery. We are still learning about my changes from the rupture.

As for questions, I would ask him for side effects of the procedure and any medication he wants you on; if he has staff that can answer questions as they arise. We have a wonderful nurse who my partner and I can call anytime. If she doesn’t know the answer, she asks the doctor. Ask for your weight limit, activity ability, try hard to follow those. Remember it takes awhile for your brain to heal from the coiling and the anesthesia. Ask about the anesthesia From the second coiling procedure, I had some issues with my leg, no reflexes when family doctor knocked on them. My spinal Neuro wanted another test to see if the pins and screws had shifted, my brain Neuro shared it might be from the anesthesia to give it awhile. She knocked on the right one and I had good reflex. Brain Neuro was right :-). But I wouldn’t trade my spinal Neuro for all the tea in China:).

Most of all remember every one is different, this is what makes brain issues so wonderful and frustrating! Go in with a really positive attitude! It helps tremendously.

Everyone is different in their recovery. Most everyone does have headaches afterward - the doctors were not controlling mine and they were using heavy narcs. I asked them several times for Fioricet because someone here said that was the only drug that helped. When they finally gave that to me plus the other meds, my headache was finally controlled. I took Fioricet plu 5 mg. Oxycodone for the headaches, which started lessoning as time went and were finally gone by 4 weeks. There are also some people who did not have very many and they were short lived.

Fatigue usually hits most people afterward. I was in bed most of the time the first week. The fatigue also started lessoning, although mine stayed with me for quite a while.

My doctor told me that I would be in NICU the day of the surgery and will be discharged the next day, however, I was in NICU for 2 days and was released late on the third day. While in NICU, I was not able to move until the evening of the 2nd day, but I think most people do not have the line in the artery for that long. I had to force myself to eat the first week because I couldn't taste anything. My taste came back fully afterward that first week.

Your surgeon will give the usual time table for most of his patients. Are you getting a stent? If so, you will be on aspirin and a strong blood thinner for a few months afterward. I stopped taking Plavix after my 3 month angio showed everything was all right. One thing to ask is how you will be monitored - with coils, they need to keep an eye on them. I have MRAs once a year and my doc wants me to have them yearly for awhile.

Good luck - having the surgery is so worth it! It really is not so bad. Sherri

I had and unruptured 15 mm cerebral aneurysm leaning on my left optic nerve I had pipeline and stents almost 4 weeks ago. I have headaches but not like the ones I had before it’s more of a pressure. . Everyday is different I have vision loss but no memory loss. I am so glad that the aneurysm was found and taken care of this way. It is amazing that they go in through the femoral artery. My dr is very optimistic. There fore I am too…recovery is coming along. One day great one day okay. One day in bed… I just keep telling myself I am lucky to be alive. I have an appt with the neuro opthalmologist , I am hoping some sight will come back in my eye. i am hoping for the recovery to move a bit faster , but I have no control, I try to push myself most days!

How long were you out of action for? I'm trying to work out how much time I'll need off work.

It's hard to know what to expect. The recovery doesn't sound too bad but they I keep thinking but it's brain surgery. I'm so confused as to how serious it is.

Thanks for the sharing guys, always easier to know what to expect from someone who has been there in comparison to a consultant.

:) thanks again, keep the stories coming

See below reply to you. But specifically what's a pipeline?

Frenchtips said:

I had and unruptured 15 mm cerebral aneurysm leaning on my left optic nerve I had pipeline and stents almost 4 weeks ago. I have headaches but not like the ones I had before it's more of a pressure. . Everyday is different I have vision loss but no memory loss. I am so glad that the aneurysm was found and taken care of this way. It is amazing that they go in through the femoral artery. My dr is very optimistic. There fore I am too....recovery is coming along. One day great one day okay. One day in bed.... I just keep telling myself I am lucky to be alive. I have an appt with the neuro opthalmologist , I am hoping some sight will come back in my eye. i am hoping for the recovery to move a bit faster , but I have no control, I try to push myself most days!

Hi Frenchtips,

I'm now at 4 months post rupture of a large brain aneurysm (right middle cerebral artery, SAH) and I'm doing great. I have memory problems that would make me incompetent for my previous career (chemistry teacher). I can do everything around the house that I have done in the past, though I often can't remember if something happened yesterday, today, or a couple of days ago. This is especially true if I'm tired, and it begins in the late afternoon/early evening. At the end of every month, as I look back at where I was the previous month, I continue to see great improvement.

A couple of weeks ago I walked 1.5miles out in one of our many parks. That has been the high point of my recovery. (When I got home from the hospital I was using a walker and needed constant help.)

I can only tell you what I am doing and cannot advise you in your own recovery, but at this point I exercise 45 minutes/day, mostly yoga and balance games on the Nintendo Wii; I read a well-written novel for 30 minutes or an hours; there are Sudoku puzzles, Jumbles, Cryptograms and Crossword puzzles in the daily paper to challenge analytical thinking skills; social activities are important for a variety of reasons so we need to talk to friends and family, attend church or other group activities, and if possible return to work. I've been doing the check writing and check-book balancing for 2 or 3 months, though my husband initially re-checked my writing and recording of checks.

Because your aneurysm didn't burst, you have most likely been less ill than I was. I'm sorry you are having headaches and I hope this can be resolved.

My best,

Jackie

The Pipeline Embolization Device (PED) can be described a couple of ways. One is a whole bunch of coils at once than can't collapse or as an artificial artery. You can read about it here

http://www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/Newsroom/PressAnnouncements/ucm250083.htm

my understanding is there are only a couple of facilities doing it.

Bloomsie said:

See below reply to you. But specifically what's a pipeline?

Frenchtips said:

I had and unruptured 15 mm cerebral aneurysm leaning on my left optic nerve I had pipeline and stents almost 4 weeks ago. I have headaches but not like the ones I had before it's more of a pressure. . Everyday is different I have vision loss but no memory loss. I am so glad that the aneurysm was found and taken care of this way. It is amazing that they go in through the femoral artery. My dr is very optimistic. There fore I am too....recovery is coming along. One day great one day okay. One day in bed.... I just keep telling myself I am lucky to be alive. I have an appt with the neuro opthalmologist , I am hoping some sight will come back in my eye. i am hoping for the recovery to move a bit faster , but I have no control, I try to push myself most days!