I just don't get it!

Why do doctors tell you recovery from coiling an unruptured aneurysm takes two weeks? Today is a month for me and my brain still isn't healed.

I went to church for the first time since coiling on Wed. and my brain was not ready. By the time I left I had headache, sharp shooting pains in my head, and was very fatigued. I really didn't think I would have those problems. I was doing well at home but since I went to church I am going backwords.

I guess I'm still over doing it.

Thanks for reading,

Deanna

Hi Deanna,

I dont know either. I had an unruptured aneurysm treated with a pipeline stent six months ago and while I feel alot better. I still would not say that I was back to normal. It has been a journey to get to this point of recovery. A journey that many people here have gone or are going through as you can see when you read the forums. I think two weeks is an unrealistic expectation. The fact that they dont check the procedure for 6 months by angio shows that it is an unrealistic expectation. Infact until then, they dont know if the procedure has worked or if there are any complications. This is why the 6 month angio is such a hurdle. Inaddition, according to research for the first 5 months you are still in the risk period.

They don't know Deanna because they haven't been through the surgery...it takes time...Cyber~hugs Colleen

Jennifer,

I will be having an MRI in Oct. which will be 3 months from coiling and I think doctor said angio at 6 months. It all depends on the doctor.

I'll be praying for you. I am so thankful I had mine fixed before a rupture. I can't imagine the healing process of a rupture.

Hugs,

Deanna

Colleen,

Yep, "it takes time" is something I hear alot and am sooo tired of hearing. Lol

Hugs,

Deanna

Hi Deanna,

I had an MRI AT 3 months. I think that they check the blood flow amongst other things so this is quite normal but its at the 6 months angio is where they know for sure what is happening. Join the exercise challenge and do half hour walk per day. Drink 2 bottles of water per day and relax. Its going to take time. Dont try and do to much.

Jennifer x

Hi Joe, Colleen,

Deanna, I think they are both right. The main problem is that until the 6 month dreaded angio, non of us know if our procedures have worked or if there are any complications and neither do the Doctors so what can they tell us? The brain has to heal and the procedure has to have worked and the process takes time. You have a journey ahead of you and if like mine you will find it the longest 6 months of your life. The procedure and recovery being the main focus of your life in terms of good days and bad days. Not to mention stress. This is not for the faint hearted! As jo said they should add mental health to the post op care. You will understand soon enough!

Oh No...hahahaha...I am an advocate of those 3 words...~ I will think of something new...me sounds like a broken record...~

Colleen,

Lol..... I hear it from my husband just about every day!

Thanks Jo. Yea I can't seem to handle any stress. And I find myself crying over nothing.

Hugs,

Deanna

Jo, Your post really helped me. Having been clipped not coiled, I don’t have to worry about the 6 month angio. It must be very hard for all of you, to have to wait and see if your surgery was successful. My 3 month anniversary from my clipping surgery is coming up. Besides my partner, many of my friends and family expect me to be 100% now. My brother-in-law asked me “what were my plans”, now that I was completely well. It took everything in me, not to blow up about his remark. I still need frequent naps. Too much input or physical activity still causes headaches and fatigue. And still working on my balance and coordination, too.

Don’t get me wrong, I am grateful for my surgeon successfully clipping my aneurysm, but the pressure from others has makes it hard for me to relax and concentrate on healing. Knowing that a year is what is expected for recovery, helps me to not push so hard or feel bad about my progress. Also, Colleen’s remark about the surgeon not having the surgery, leads to their shorter expected recovery time; applies to relatives and friends who expect miraculous recovery times. Mental health care should probably be part of all of our recovery, too. I am going to look into this for myself.

@Deanna, Thanks for letting me “add my 2 cents” to your coiling recovery time thread.

Mary

Hi Deanna,

I am 3 1/2 months post coiling for an unruptured aneurysm and was so surprised when the doctor said that I would experience "some discomfort" and should be good in 3 weeks. Not true, headaches and fatigue are still a large part of my life although they are decreasing. I agree that is is hard to accept when you feel like you have just done a little something and that turns out to be "too much". I would suggest trying to be patient althought it is hard, and listen to your body. I went back to work and discovered that I can still only handle 4 hour shifts. Everyone is different and try not to subscribe to what other people think you should be able to do.

This site has helped me so very much and it is so helpful to know that you are not alone in this process!

Take care!

Pam

Thanks for your 2 cents Mary. Lol

I am also thankfull for a successful surgery. Its just that recovery stinks!

Hugs,

Deanna

Thanks Pam. I hope you feel better soon.

Hugs,

Deanna

Hi Deanna,

Sept. 6th will be my first real look. Alot has happen since my coiling in Jan. 2012. Yes I know it's been 8 months as of Sept. The reason they are waiting is that I suffered a a TIA from a Right Vertebral Artery Disection caused from the guide wire used in the coiling, that thru a clot in March exactly 2 months after coiling. They then did CT in march after the TIA that showed coiling stable. What I will find out in Sept is whether I still have a functioning Vertebral artery (you can live with one in case I have loss the use), and whether my 7 mm basliar tip aneurysm is still intact with coiling. They are only doing a CTA because they don't want to take a chance with my vertebral arteries till they look at them. As you can imagine this has been beyond stressful which I did seek and find someone for counceling. Like others, everyone in my family thinks I am just fine. They don't know how parallizing these first test are along with future looks. They didn't understand the fatigue, irritability, and how in this very moment I look at my future differentl. And when they say "Well you dodged the bullit", I want to scream at them because I don't know that yet and won't feel that way for a while. I often come to this site and read about others. Because my situation with the vertebral artery is not the norm, happens rarely, I haven't posted much for fear of scaring someone. These days as I get closer to the head look I am scared. I to, even after 6 months, do not feel whole and like myself. I occassional beat myself up because so many had so much more to deal with then I did. Maybe it's because of the first look, just frustrated!

I just don't get it either- I just wish someone would tell me the truth. . . it has been 8 months since my surgery in for an aneurysm clippling and I have not been pain free since then. I am feeling worse every day. My surgeon said he does not know why I am having headaches as my MRI is normal. There is supposedly no swelling and no bleeding. However, I am the one feeling like my brain is being sqeeze like an orange. I have not gone back to work and doing regular daily activities are difficult. I am suffering memory loss and cognitive issues and can find answers. . . I am now seeing a neurologist and have been placed on a series of meds. . . some relief not total relief. . . I feel doctors are not listening and no one believes or understand my pain. I hope and pray you will be in a different situation. Take your time and don't rush one thing I know it does not take two weeks or even 4. Give yourself time and rest. . . fatigue, feeling of being cold and little desire for anything seems to be quite common.

God bless and feel better- keep your trust in God he is the only healer!!!

Sorry your still having problems. Hope you get the help you need. I couldn't imagine doing this for 8 months.

I am sooo.... bored!!!! but when I do anything I get a headache and have to rest. Using my brain and being around alot of people is still difficult. Not sure if I should do these things to get use to them or avoid them until I feel better. Either way I will fight on and keep my faith.

May God bless you too,

Deanna

Sorry you are still having problems. I understand and will pray for you. Things will get better. From what I'm told, "it takes time."

Hugs,

Deanna

Hi Deanna,

It is really boring, but your health is really important and being around people, loud TV, noise, too much going on is overwhelming I think it is too much stimulation to the brain so take it easy and listen to your body. I am a little stubborn and paid with pain every time I tried to do more than I know I should. Take baby steps and do it slowly . . . this surgeries I think are down play when in reality are very serious and take a long time to heal.

What research I am on my second week and my dr told me very little. I went back to work the next week?