Recovery - Severe Back Pain

Hi all. Thanks for this resource. As mentioned in my profile, I am a caregiver. My 39 year old fiancee woke up with a ruptured aneurysm 2 months ago yesterday. She was stabilized, 2 days after, had a failed coil procedure, and then the following day, a successful clipping where unfortunately, the aneurysm re-ruptured before being clipped. As I write this she is in bed reading a novel after we just had a nice dinner. She is doing remarkable after a grade 4 SAH, and I, and her doctors are absolutely shocked. No neurological deficits apparent, some short term memory issues, but nothing major. Her personality and emotions all sound. Her biggest issue which is hindering her recovery is back/hip pain that is crippling when she sits or stands. Only when she lies down is she comfortable. Doctors are trying to find a medicine to give her relief. Percocet not doing much, but a new neurologist is trying to get her on medicine that will relieve her pain, which he feels is blood from the bleed, having traveled down her spine and irritating her nerves around her back/hips/pelvis. Three doctors have said it will get better in time, but it's been a while. Is there anything outside of medicine/rest/stretching that could help ? Or for those of you who experienced, how much longer can this possibly last ? Thanks for any comments or suggestions. Greg

Hi Greg,

The Neuroligist is no doubt right on target. I underwent a coiling/sah/shunt/coma/the works in late 2006. My shunt became infected after being released from the hospital so i wound up back for another 3 weeks...where they finally removed my shunt as my body started to 'work' on its own...sometime during that stay, my lower back really started acting up on me (like sciatic nerve pain--worse i've ever had, and i've not had pain like that before), and this went on about 6 months--and let me tell you, it was incredible pain.. I tried everything from physical therapy to a chiropractor, but i found the one thing that helped me the most was when walking uphill or at a slight incline, the pain seemed to diminish (it only seemed to last as long as I walked uphill though) then one day out of the blue, the pain went away. Just like I'd never had it. The doctors did not associate my extreme sciatic nerve pain to my aneurysm/sah, but as it turns out this is a lot more common then they ever knew it to be--and yes,the Neurologists theory is probably very right. I wish your Fiancee nothing but good thoughts as she deals with this, I can tell you it was the kind of pain that makes you not be able to think of anything else BUT the pain--meanwhile living on Advil Liquidgels to the point i was worried for my liver. Stretching helped me to a degree, but honestly it simply just up and dissipated one day -- just like that.

Take care,

Peace, Janet

I had severe pain also, like a cramp, it lasted almost a year, also cramping in the neck, riding to and from rehab outpatient was excrutiating, ear popping too. Low back pain returned and my dr gave me stretching exercises which worked! sorry i'm not much help, time was the biggest help to heal these pains, hang in there,keeping you in thoughts and prayers and Welcome!! glad you found us, in comparison she is doing very well- it took me 2 years to be able to read, and writing on here has helped me greatly, if you can get her to join us I highly recommend it, its been the best therapy for me, Good of you o join us on her behalf,tc~

Hi Greg...I had bleed in groin, stomach and hip...and I must tell you...the stomach and hip took long to heal...and it is painful...it took a few months ... and like overnight it got better...I never knew this could happen...I hope they could help your fiancé...even with out major deficits ... that pain and the fact that her brain is still healing...can be rough...do what you are doing until they can get a good pain med...keep her happy and comfortable...keep us posted...~ Colleen

Hi Greg. I’m glad to hear that your fiancée, is doing so well post aneurysm. Some of us survivors, are not so blessed. Wow her personality and emotions are all intact. But she has back/hip pain. Neurologists feels, it’s blood from her bleed, having traveled down her spine and irritating her nerves around her back/hips/pelvis. A new neurologist is trying to find medicine that will relieve her pain, which he feels is blood from her bleed. So there is hope for her to get help for her pain. But nerve damaged takes time to heal but the pain is immense. I have first hand knowledge of nerve damage. Having that ailment in both arms, from my shoulder blade to my fingertips. It’s been 2 years with no relieve. I’m thinking of acupuncture. Because the neurologists know the cause, but they can’t stopped it. They say time will heal all wounds. But I can’t deal with the chronic pain. I hope your fiancée is able to resolved her health issues. My thoughts and prayers are with you both.

Hey! Glad you’ve found us! Welcome! Glad to hear she’s doing so remarkably! I had a lot of neck/shoulder and hip/lower back issues with pain… A low dose of nortriptyline really helped alleviate it until it simply diminished. It’s a great nerve medication, and a bonus for a quit aid if quitting smoking. But it does take time to build up in your body. I did see a sacro occipital therapist/chiropractor who was low impact, and she helped as well. They also sell these at walmart and on amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Maxi-Aids-Bed-Buddy-Back-Wrap/dp/B000YL9CG8/ref=sr_1_8?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1403744942&sr=1-8&keywords=Bed+buddy

When I have pain, I toss this puppy in the microwave, rub castor oil where I’m having pain (get cold pressed organic from your local health food store), and put it where it hurts for an hour or two. Then sleep with an gel based ice pack wrapped in a pillowcase overnight. Usually helps significantly.

Also, have her get a pedicure, and have the tech make sure any callouses on her heels are removed… Then do the same castor oil technique on her feet overnight with the hot pack… Just the heat part, no ice. Finally splurge and get her a foot massage at a good spa. Our feet are so tied into pain, and while it may sound like a crock, it works on so many people.

I stay away from opiates and OTC pain meds as much as possible because they have a rebounding headache factor which had me in a loop for a long time. And quitting caffine was probably one of the best things I did for my body beyond quitting smoking. Quitting both allowed for healing.

Hope some of this, or any of this helps… I hated being in pain, and no one seems to understand how terribly awful it can be to be constantly there, so I had to come up with things that worked for me. That’s the best advice I can give you since we’re all so vastly different. Write down what seems to work, use the net to do further research too! And don’t be scared of alternate treatments. A lot of insurance companies are even covering chiro, accupuncture, massage and PT. Explore what yours covers and keep that log of what works.