Recovery

Hi all so my mum had a ruptured aneurism that she had an op for and coils used. She’s been recovering now for two weeks. Although I know this is only a short period and has a long way to go I’m really worried at symptoms she’s showing. She’s so confused and making stories up about impossible things but she truly believes they are real events. Has anybody been through this? Or know somebody that has? Thanks

Leanne
So glad your mom is recoverying. I also had SAH two years ago. There are somethings I remember …what I do remember would probably be good reading. My family and friends have shared some things I said and did, I still find a little humor in. I do remember …not sure if it was a dream but I was in a baby crib in a suit and briefcase. I asked the nurse am I next, her reply was next for what and I said my interview.
I can tell you things will change during her recovery as time moves on. Be patient , you will probably begin to see small changes in a month or so. Be encourage and know she is in our thoughts and prayers.
Terri

Hi terri thanks for the reply. I’m trying to find out as much info as I can on this so I can support my mum as best I can. It’s just the crazy stories she’s comming out with. One minute she speaks as she normally would and remembers everything the next she zones out and comes up with a story. Have you fully recovered from yours? And I’m sure your story would make good reading. Humour is key sometimes x

Leanne,
I was 48 when I was coiled for a ruptured cerebral aneurysm and spent 13 day in the icu. I remember very little but my family will tell you lots of stories about my making up stories about all kinds of stories! It’s funny now but i.doubt it was then. I called my boss at midnight one night, called my coworkers at a different hospital.to tell them I had to go.to.the bathroom and could someone come help me…the list could go on.I spent 8 days in an impatient rehab setting which I also have little memory of. I honestly did not start gaining some normal behaviors and thoughts until I got home. I spent 6 more weeks in an excellent outpatient neuro rehab and went back to.work full-time as an rn 9 weeks after the rupture. My recovery was not the norm and some never complate recover and must accept a “new normal”. It is very early in your mother’s course so be patient and take things day by day.

And sorry for all the extra periods. I am typing on my cell phone and have fat fingers lol.

Hi Leanne - so happy to read your Mum is recovering. I ruptured in 2012, spent 9 weeks in a coma and 5 months is the hospital, please know that things will get better with time. I think back now to some of my actions in the hospital and cringe at some and laugh at others. I called 911 one night because I couldn't find my husband - lost my phone over that one :) Also was convinced that I was in a hospital in Norway and couldn't figure out how my family made the flight to visit me everyday. I know telling you not to worry is not very comforting, but time is our biggest ally..almost 3 years later and I am driving and back to work part-time - she can, and will, come back from this - maybe not 100%, but still your Mum.

Take Care,

Mary

Thank you all for the replies and so pleased you have all recovered from the same type of thing. I’ve just got home from the hospital as my mum decided she was comming home and they couldn’t calm her down. Reading all your stories has given me great comfort and making me realise that my mums behaviour is any different from others. I know times the greatest healer in this case but needed to hear from a few people who have been through the same thing. Thank you all for you’re support and kind words. Wish you all the best and you’ve all done amazing x

Glad to hear your mom is progressing…please know we are here for you and Mom. Be encouraged!

Terri

Thank you terri I’ve been with her today and she seems so much better so fingers crossed and will not stop fighting to get my mum back x

hi Leanne! I saw u trying to chat, sorry I missed you, yes 2 weeks sounds too soon, I was in 9 weeks w a 6 day coma, make sure she is able to walk and eat and continent. It is good news that she progressed this far in 2 weeks!! if you have any questions please feel free to ask! also you can voice concerns to hospital case worker, chaplain and others management types to keep nurses in check, tc ttyl

She’s comming home tomorrow it’s just under 3 weeks but she’s doing really well. Think been at home may help her recover quicker but does seen abit too soon to me? She’s been assessed for daily living skills and passed all no problems. Thanks for the reply x

that's great! Leanne, I am so happy to hear that! take it slow- the first year is the hardest and there is no book on this since we are all different. You will learn as you go things like giving her space but keeping a close watch. My biggest gripe was people babying me holding doors open etc etc. I will send you a friends request in case you have questions u can write me direct thru the e mail.tc, mom will be proud of you - we sure are! ttyl ! ps remember safety first!

Hey Leanne,
So glad your mom is able to come home. She’s a fighter! When I came home everyone wanted to babysit me, it was irritating but needed. I have a smart phone and could set alarms for things like taking my meds, eating, drinking protein drinks for the extra protein to help brain heal, naps or downtime, and I had to drink three Gatorades a day. We found out I cannot cook unsupervised, sometimes can’t cook supervised. I’ve become a fire hazard. Give mom time to adjust, she will probably sleep a lot at first. Her brain is still healing so that’s okay. My Neurosurgeon said two years for brain to heal completely, don’t lose hope. It was difficult for me to have all the normal noises of our home at one time. I had to have the television turned off for a conversation of any type. Still do sometimes. If your going to be your moms caregiver, I hear there’s a great caregiver support group on Facebook. I don’t do Facebook. There are many members here who can give their personal experiences, just ask.

That’s great thank you I’m sure I will have many questions. I work full time so dreading leaving her but as you said there’s nothing worse then been babied. I think she will be ok though but time will tell. Thank you for advice and will check Facebook out. Hope your doing well?x

P.s this thing dosnt work so great on my mobile so if missed any comments and not replied thanks all you’re amazing and given me so much support which I hope can give others in the future x

Leanne,
I believe anyone who has been through or living with an aneurysm and finds this site is doing really well! The members and caregivers here always amaze me at what they can accomplish. They are truly inspirational, each and every one of them.

oh one more thing, we are usually light and sound sensitive- the first trip to Walmart was a shocker as I had not joined baf till a few years later and had no clue. Maybe take sunglasses? tv and computers were a no-no too but these things will improve, oh I couldn't read also but now can! tc

Totally agree the people on here are truly amazing. Makes you realise how strong and wonderful people can be. I hope I can support others in the future as people have me. I think my mums lost her eye sight to an extent as really struggling reading and doing puzzles. I will bare the light and sound in mind thank you x

A lot of us have problems with eyesight after procedures. I read 7 books while in ICU for 26 days. The first two were really difficult both for my eyes and understanding. Tell her not to strain her eyes, give them lots of breaks.

I took the recommendation of my opthamologist and use amber tinted sunglasses. I forgot where I put them and went back to the smoke ones. I couldn’t believe the difference the lens color makes with seeing and headaches! I found the amber sunglasses pretty quickly!

Thank you I will discuss this with her. I’ve found some sun glasses already just incase needs them x