Questioning things

Hi everyone. I have a coiling procedure set up for this Thursday on 4mm right carotico-opthamolic anuerysm that was just discovered incidentally. I’m so nervous and hoping I am making the right decision to treat it. I am 33 years old and have 3 young kids. I want to be around for them for a good long time. When this was discovered I became so scared…scared to run on my treadmill, scared to pick up my kids, sneeze…everything. Once I saw my surgeon he explained that most people will watch and wait on anuerysms between 1-5mm…and scan every 6 months or so…though he did say he does see 4mm ones rupture. He also explained that there is a psychological aspect to it as well. Can you walk out the door and live your normal life and not fear this all the time? That’s a tough one for me…
So he said either way wouldn’t be wrong. Treatment or waiting. I decided on treatment so I wouldn’t have to live my life in fear…but I am questioning if it’s the right decision. Has anyone else been in this situation?

Kim, how old are your children? Do you have a significant other or a family member that can come in and help for awhile after your procedure? Remember to breathe! It also helps to be hydrated before you have your procedure, so start drinking water now and limit your caffeine and alcohol as both can be dehydrating.

Thank you for your reply. I do have a wonderful husband, and he is really great with the kids and I. He will be able to take off of work for 2 weeks, which is a HUGE blessing. Also, my in-laws will be here to help a lot as well. My kids are 11 (almost…a little later this month), 4, and 2. :slight_smile:

Kim, stick with your plan. It is normal to have doubts before the procedure – – I know I did. You’ve done all your research and you’ve set up a plan, so let your surgeon take you to the next step to the other side-- the side where you can feel a sense of relief once again and get on with your life. Good luck, I will be thinking of you.

We had a rule growing up and then with subsequent generations. My guess it started way before we came along - if you’re old enough to get out a toy, you’re old enough to put it up lol. Do you all have a favorite activity you can do today or in the next three days? It sounds like you have a great support group have they looked at the video on BAF? It’s the one on what’s going to happen and they also have one on recovery. The BAF even has some things for children now!

I guess the thing I am questioning is if it’s better to wait and watch…
Am I rushing surgery because of my anxiety? It’s hard to know. I feel like if it was 6mm I would know the answer. 4mm makes my decision hard. Also, I guess it depends on how much risk the procedure has…some people say coiling is risky and others seem to act like its very safe. I’m so confused…

Kim, I used to think that anything over 5mm needed to be dealt with surgically and anything under just watched. That was until I got on this site and heard of people with 3mm annies either rupturing or getting treated. You are young, so it is going to grow. Don't keep living in fear that it will rupture. Treat it now while it is manageable rather than after it ruptures, which makes everything from surgery to recovery so much more difficult--if you are one of the lucky ones. Also, the imaging is pretty accurate, but not foolproof as far as monitoring. My annie was initially measured at 5mm, then at 6-7mm via MRI. After my first CTA, 9mm, and after my first angiogram, it was measured at 9-10mm. That's a five mm difference from the first test to the last. After my PED placement, in actuality, it was measured at 7.5mm. So a few mm here and there are hard to distinguish through imaging alone. For all you know, it could be larger.

Kim said:

I guess the thing I am questioning is if it's better to wait and watch...
Am I rushing surgery because of my anxiety? It's hard to know. I feel like if it was 6mm I would know the answer. 4mm makes my decision hard. Also, I guess it depends on how much risk the procedure has..some people say coiling is risky and others seem to act like its very safe. I'm so confused...

Kim, the day after Christmas, I was going to use the bathroom. Had to sneeze, didn’t want to wake the wife, held it in.BANG. Surgery for burst aneurysm. 2mm. If I would have known I had it, I would’ve had it fixed. Currently have third nerve palsy due to rupture. 6weeks post. Hoping eye improves, but I’m still breathing. Praise God.I can work with that.

Glad you are doing as well as you are , Tim. Your case is a very good example of what I was trying to explain to Kim in my earlier post. Six weeks is early yet. I'm 7 months out after PED placement (before rupture) still working with a vision therapist. They say, and I now believe, that it takes the brain a very long time to heal. Hang in there and keep us posted.

Tim Hamp said:

Kim, the day after Christmas, I was going to use the bathroom. Had to sneeze, didn't want to wake the wife, held it in.BANG. Surgery for burst aneurysm. 2mm. If I would have known I had it, I would've had it fixed. Currently have third nerve palsy due to rupture. 6weeks post. Hoping eye improves, but I'm still breathing. Praise God.I can work with that.

Kim...my personal opinion... 'get it done'... if waiting and, monitoring, there are the f/u imaging whether MRA and/or CTAs or arteriography...

There are a # of members here/elsewhere who have shared their 3mm type/size that has never advanced...However, the experts have never addressed how often this occurs...and, on which artery(ies)...

Prayers for your right decision...

Hello everyone! I am here to ask a few questions, but before I do, I want to wish Kim the very best with her surgery! I do think you are doing the right thing. My husband is also due to have his coiling procedure on Thursday and we both are frightened over what will happen. I am more nervous than Ron is. I know the details of the surgery and that he will be in the hospital for 2 days (or more).

Details: Ron is 69 and was in pretty good health prior to this. The size of his non-ruptured brain aneurysm was initially 3 mm but it has grown a bit. We were wondering about the rehab period? What would be involved? When will he be able to drive again? We have several Grandchildren who absolutely adore their Grandpa. We watch the littler ones several days a week (ages 6 and 8 years). Although that won't be happening again for awhile. I think not knowing what will happen heightens the anxiety.

Sorry, I didn't mean to write a novel. Thank you so much. Aimzee

Aimzee, you may want to start a new discussion…but to give you short and sweet, rehab depends on person, I was told I could drive when I became comfortable as a passenger, but I ruptured and it messed up peripheral vision. He and Kim will need to rest, stay hydrated (I think it was webmd that suggests 1/2 - 1 ounce of water for every pound you weigh a day and to look for signs of dehydration - yellow, strong smell urine etc. both will need to follow what the doc says about sneezing, lifting, having bowel movements, etc. Best wishes and big hugs to all!