Coiling next week

Hell all I will be getting coiling May 4 and I am terrified. I know the risks are low and that I should be grateful for finding it before it ruptured but I am still so scared! I’m honestly scared of death during surgery or major complications. I’m not ready to die or have complications with a baby at home and a life that I love. I’m so scared! I cry daily and I don’t think anyone close to me really understands even if they try to. :frowning:

Hi Cruella, I can't help much with your anxiety. I'm having my aneurysm coiled on May 5th. I can tell u to stay in the moment. This is what I have been trying to do. My mom found hers first, so I look at this surgery as a gift. if she hadn't be diagnosed, I may have never asked to be tested. Dont get me wrong I am nervous. Lack of sleep, very little motivation and moments of fear are a daily struggle right now. Remember being proactive is better than being reactive, and has a very small percentage for error compared to a rupture.

ANDREA

Hi all my name is Ellen and I had coiling in 2011 and I am doing very well thank god. I go once a year to have it checked this is going to be my 5th year and nothing has changed. You will be fine keep positive thoughts. I know it’s hard but you will be fine. Thoughts n prayers to you

My coiling was done at the end of Feb. I would be lying if I said it was a breeze, but considering IT was brain surgery it was not that bad. There is no point in telling you not to worry, because IMO it is impossible not to, considering that IT is brain surgery, but you can tone down the stress and the worry a bit with distraction. I listened to music at home, in the car and in the hospital-my sister loaded an iPod with lots of tunes. Whenever you start to think too deeply, stop and do something to distract yourself from those unpleasant thoughts, read, watch TV, knit, etc. You have a big community here praying for you, too.

MY wife had 2 coiled with catheter just last week. The worst is the stress waiting for the day. My wife had high blood pressure when it had always been low until she found out about the aneurysms. Dr. prescribed tranquilizer since it was the anxiety that made BP rise. This did wonders for her to get through this. Don’t be afraid to ask. Trust your Dr. and once it is completed you will feel much relief.

Cruella, you will be fine. I think we have all felt that way and we are the lucky ones - our annies were found before they ruptured. Brain surgery is scary, having brain aneurysms is scary, and the waiting before they are fixed is the scariest.

I was coiled and stented in October 2011. I had a more difficult time than most that I know as far as recovery (again, those without ruptures), but then I am much older than you. Everyone is different in their recovery - I was told I would be in NICU for 1 day, out of the hospital the next day. It was 2 days NICU, then it was nip and tuck to get out the 3rd day. I had headaches for almost a month, but they got better day by day and after the first few days were not incapacitating. I had trouble getting the Drs to give me the headache med every one here beforehand had told me to ask for - they were giving me oxy, then finally dilaudid and nothing was really helping much. Ask for Fioricet plu oxy 5 mg. I took for 3-4 weeks post op and then stopped completely - and I never had trouble with any more headaches.

You will be very fatigued. I hope you will have help at home, especially with your baby. The only thing that will really help the fatigue is just taking a nap. Sleep when you need it.

There are people I know here that went back to work within a few weeks and others took longer. I know you are scared - if you are not breast feeding, most people started taking Lorazapam or something else for anxiety beforehand.

You will be fine - I know I can say that, but it's true. It is brain surgery and it is also a miracle what they can do these days. Take care - Sherri

I just looked at your page to see where you live and that is one beautiful baby you have there!! Congrats and enjoy - children are so amazing, even during their teenage years. Sherri

Cruella - I was SO worried when my Dad was diagnosed with an aneurysm. It felt like the end of the world - how different I know now!! My Dad is 65 and he was coiled and stented last year at the end of May so it's coming up a year soon - and I could not have imagined how well it could have gone. His was a wide necked aneurysm in a difficult spot and it went really well. These surgeries are done thousands of time all over the globe every day. It's truly amazing what the medical world can do now - you will be in safe hands.

Best of luck Cruella! I’m sure it will go great! Snowflakes is right. Live minute by minute, and mindfully place yourself in the here and now. That helps me. Also, distractions are great. I get pains in my head and numbness in my face so I worry every time I get symptoms. I try, not always successfully, to place my attention on something.