Saw the Doc today

Went for my first appt today.... I thought I would have my questions asnwered. But, he put the decision making in my hands. My aneurysm is 5mm behind my right eye. We went over risk factors with my family and he said that I could have the coiling, clipping, or wait and see. Because of my age he seemed to be leaning towards coiling. He said with the percentage increasing each year I should think about having the coiling. I would have to go to another doc for clipping. I am not sure that to think, or do...any suggestions out there?

Hi there,

My story sounds similar to yours. I just had a 4mm anuerysm behind my right eye coiled and stented on Feb. 11th. My surgeon also put the decision making in my hands…and it was a hard decision…so I totally get it. At 4mm I was on the border of “watch and wait” or “treat”. He did tell me that if it was 5mm he would be telling me to do it instead of wait…and he said I I waited and it increased in size, we would coil. Ultimately I knew my anxiety wouldn’t let me live without treating it, and at my age (34) I felt pretty certain it would grown in my lifetime.

I am ultimately glad I treated it. My surgery and post op have gone well. I pray you come to a decision that brings you peace. Hugs!

Thanks for your reply Kim. We he decided to go with coiling. There is a 2 month waiting list for the surgery. I told my mom today. I think she's somewhat relieved she could ask me questions and not wait until her neuro appt on the 7th. She has 2 aneurysms 3mm each.. The doc says with coiling 1 night in ICU, and as long as things go well home the next day, and 1 week of rest. What was your experience with recovery?

It sounds like a good decision. :slight_smile:
My recovery was just like you mentioned. 1 night in ICU and then I went home. The worst part of recovery was groin pain…and even that was not bad at all. I only ever took Tylenol and only had 2 to 3 headaches…and they weren’t awful. Energy wise, I would say I took more like 2 weeks to recover…but I have 3 young kids…and they require a lot of energy. For me the emotional part of recovery has been harder…just a lot Anxiety coming down from it all. It’s getting better though, and is definitely better than the anxiety I had about the aneurysm before surgery. Hope this helps! :slight_smile:
How old are you?

I am 44, and have 3 boys. They are 22, 19 and 14. I have regular migraines, and if I waited the anxiety of my migraines might drive me crazy. Knowing this is probably hereditary scares me, but my kids are still pretty young to worry. I am told often to have MRI because of my headaches, but never did. I think my last one I was in my 20's. I am happy I went with my gut when my mom's MRA showed two.

Yes, glad you trusted your instinct! Message me anytime. :slight_smile:

hi I also had two annies behind right eye, and was granted they were treated by the PED off label, recovery wasnt bad nor long, had two nights in the hosp. having some eye pain strain currently, on blood thinners, I would recommend this if appropriate, good luck, Anafa, Ellie

I had my 7.3 x 4mm aneurysm coiled (5 coilings) and stented in Feb. Coiling was the only option offered to me by 2 doctors, probably due to my advanced age, 65. The angiogram IMO was more painful than the operation.

Anafa said:

hi I also had two annies behind right eye, and was granted they were treated by the PED off label, recovery wasnt bad nor long, had two nights in the hosp. having some eye pain strain currently, on blood thinners, I would recommend this if appropriate, good luck, Anafa, Ellie

Marjorie B Filipiak said: I had the PED implant four years ago. I was 66 at the time. The PED had just been approved. My "Anny" was located on the left side. It was in my skull where all the nerves and blood vessels go to the face and eye. Four years later I have had no problems with it. I still go for a yearly check ups. There is life after Annies! I am now 70 and still going strong!

Anafa said:

Hi Snowflakes, Im 40 years old and also had a 5MM aneurysm in the right ICA. My doctor did not think it was wise to wait and so I opted for the coiling. I was too worried about the potential complications of a craniotomy. I was in the hospital for 2 days post surgery and 2 weeks recoverying. I had headaches afterwards, not so bad, but having any sort of pain was worrisome for me— can’t imagine the “wait and see approach”. I was informed that headaches post op were normal, but the length of time varied by person. I feel that this was the best decision for me at the time, even though the entire thing has been difficult (i.e., from intially learning that I had an aneurysm until now). Good luck on your decsion.

Thanks for every ones positive feedack. I have scheduled my coiling for May 17. My mom went to her appt and she will have her aneurysms coiled also. She is not sure when because she needs to meet with the doc who will be doing it first. Because the docs think this is hereditary, ihae suggested my brother get tested.not sure if I should mention this to my cousins. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Andrea

Hi Andrea,

I am happy to hear you have made such an important decision. You will be so relieved once it is done. Sending so many positive vibes your way! I had an aneurysm rupture 10 years ago (at 19 years old) and I am currently waiting for a new batch of CTs due to increasing headaches and lots of warning signs that may be due to a potential annie. My aneurysm was clipped and would have gone much smoother had they caught it before rupturing. All is good though.

The hereditary question..I would mention to your immediate family as well as first cousins/relatives. Since my annie, one of my aunts has had multiple discovered..repaired..and some even just monitored. It is much easier to mention and find that all is healthy...then think there was something you could've done to help a bit..

Best wishes!!! Amy

Snowflakes said:

Thanks for every ones positive feedack. I have scheduled my coiling for May 17. My mom went to her appt and she will have her aneurysms coiled also. She is not sure when because she needs to meet with the doc who will be doing it first. Because the docs think this is hereditary, ihae suggested my brother get tested.not sure if I should mention this to my cousins. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Andrea

It is always good to know family medical history. I know my family history as far back to Grandparents on both sides of my family. I have passed this on to my daughter and grandson. This makes it easier for the doctors and myself. First cousins need to know this as well.

I hope all goes well for you and your Mom.