Ok I'm scared now

Hi. I was diagnosed with an aneurysm 8-9mm a few months ago now. I am due to have it coiled in the couple of wks. I am 30 yrs old, married with 2 children 7 and 4. Can anyone who has experienced coiling give me some advice? I have a demanding job and hope to return to work after a week following the procedure. Just want to keep it normal for my babies. I don’t let it show but I’m really scared, more so when I’m put to sleep. I want to wake up the same person. Thanks

Lynsey...welcome and expect you will have a lot of responses....

We can all understand being scared...there are big decision and concerns...

I had coiling... I have highly recommended the books on the BAF main website....under "understanding" down to "references" ... the first two books listed are by some top doctors...

My questions to you are...were options / explanations of coiling and the open surgery/clip provided for you to make a choice after hearing the detail of each to make your decision of one or the other? Or, is the location (artery/segment) hosting your aneurysm prohibiting one of the procedures?

We have had a lot of variations/reactions, incomplete treatments, too much treatment...so you will hear every side... down to those adequately to excellently treated...the reason I so highly recommend the books...

Is your husband comfortable, satisfied with your decision based on the options?

Prayers surround you...

Pat

Pat, such a relief for response. I have had quite a few meetings With the neurosurgeons. He feels confident that he will be able to fix through coiling. I did receive a letter stating the risks of leaving the aneurysm without surgery would be high to bleed and the complications that could also happen. However, he did state that where my anyerusm is I have a main artery which runs along side so would be higher risk of stroke. He did state that if during the procedure if it were likely to happen he would pull out. The surgeon has done this procedure many of times and has never had any issues, i suppose it’s just me. I just feel so down but cant show my family. I am normally the strong hard working one who looks after others which is why I have sought support through this group because i am actually terrified!

My husband is so laid back and I suppose because I don’t show my emotions he’s ok with it.

Thank you for ur prayers. It means so much

Xxx

Hi,

No doubt you will awake as the exact same person you are now, Lynsey....Many have had terrific outcomes with the coiling procedure--although personally I'm not a big fan of them only because mine compacted on me (after three years, with no warning what-so-ever) but they were great for the three years I had them ! I'm more on the side of clipping (more invasive yet when its done, its done and fixed forever). I'm sure you're a bit freaked out and the waiting game is the hardest part. In my experiences each time I came to, I was still "me". I'm sure you will be too ! Peace, I know this isn't easy, Janet

hi Lynsey! Great!! writing on here will help you, the fear is certainly warranted, most have little to compare these terrifying procedures to-we are not prepared for such fear, the only thing that helped me for coiling was prayer and sermons-this strengthens faith, the coiling itself is a piece of cake-honest-you won't even know what happened- just be groggy for a few days, groin may be a little sore- these things will improve, a lady on here said she invisioned the faces of her children and loved ones as they were wheeling her in to the o. r.-i love that technique- it will transport you away from the fear a bit and give you strength and fortitude- i will definitely pray for you for that, a textbook surgery and quick quick healing- take care --keep in contact as you are able~~ps i hope you get plenty support and understanding--make known your issues-you may be tired physically and mentally, get plenty rest-don't feel guilty~~~

Lynsey
I had mine coiled nine years ago and went back to work within a month. The worries will always be there but they do get less with every day. I will be praying for you and believe and be assured that all will go as planned. Looking forward to hearing from you after the coiling. Best wishes Tolu

Hi Lynsey! I know how you feel, especially with small children, the not knowing can be so scary! I think you have been blessed (if there is such a thing in the middle of this madness) since they caught your aneurysm before it ruptured, otherwise the recovery process is much longer and the outcome not always good.

I went through the coiling process when mine ruptured. I had a lengthy stay in the ICU due to the rupture and my recovery time was about 4 months before I was allowed to return to work as a city letter carrier, mainly due to the fact that I have to be able to lift 70 # on and off during the day. I still have one berry aneurysm they plan to monitor. They said it is currently too small to repair and I hate knowing I have that in my brain and fear every headache I have.

If you are at a reputable hospital with a physician who has good experience in coiling and I was in your shoes, I would much rather have the aneurysm fixed than to have undue worry over the fear of it rupturing at some point in the future. I think the chance of having something like a stroke is higher with a bleed, but there is always that chance. I would rather take that chance with a team of trained professionals at my bedside, where the quicker they provide care, the less problems you walk away with. I can't tell from your post if you have ever been put under for any type of surgery or not. I think a lot of people have some fear over that. Actually, it sounds silly but its the best sleep I've ever had.

I imagine after your coiling, your physician will plan to do follow up angiograms to check-up on the coiling and make sure everything looks good every 6 months to a year after the procedure. I think I had one at 3 months. Depending on the demands of your job, I wouldn't rush things. The best thing you can do for yourself & your family is let your body heal and get plenty of rest before you jump back into your busy life.

I hope I'm not over-stepping here, but I think you should let your husband know that this worries you. You may be very surprised to find out that he is hiding his fears too and both of you are suffering in silence. Sending prayers your way.

There are many times where our fear can control and overwhelm us and I myself can account for many although when I think about it, I always came out on the other side astonished that I made it! Whether it was the unknown fear of standing in front of the class to read a report for the first time, walking up an auditorium hoping you won't trip, praying at the hospital chapel that it won't hurt too much as they finally wheel you to the delivery room, oh, the list could go on, but when you are look in your child's eyes for the last time as they "turn out lights" wondering if you will see those eyes again, has got to be the greatest fear there is. Just know, peace does come, even when your not expecting it and you will see...again that you came to the other side astonished once again...that you made it! It will be OK, just believe!

Lynsey...as you will note already...you will get the varied info on results / satisfaction / dissatisfaction...Either treatment can/may have complications...not just the potential complications from a leak/rupture if you do not have a procedure...it is all hand in hand... .

Were any potential procedural complications/risks included in the letter sent to you?

Did it include the brand of the contrast dye which you may research? Did it cover the radiation variance of the procedural angio to the diagnostic angio? Was the f/up angio schedule covered?

Prayers...first that your hubby will introduce himself to the Group Spouses...that you will let him know you are nervous/anxious...that you need his support...My personal belief is that is so critical for all spouses/partners, families, friends...if nothing else, imagine if you were in reverse position w/hubby...

Prayers that those who have had the fatigue issues / any other issues...share with you...especially those with jobs and young children...Prayers you do not prolong your time for the treatment...

Please do not rush your healing time...even if perfectly, beautifully coiled...it still may need healing time...

Pat

I have a 9mm brain aneurysm on my basilar tip that was coiled about 2 years ago...due to complications it took be about 3 months to get back to Life for the most part...everyone is different ... with recovery...

Wishing all goes well ... so you are up and back to work sooner then later...~ Colleen

Hi Lynseymeg

Hi LynseyMeg,

I just posted a similar question!!! I'm scheduled for coil surgery too and am getting more jitters as I go!! When is your surgery? I'm the 26th of this month... If I go first, I'll let you know!

The anesthesia part sounds like it has you worried too. No worries... that is easy. I've had general anesthesia for ovarian cyst, c-section, and tonsils. Sometimes, though, I felt sick when I woke. They sedate you through your IV so when the put the small mask (like at a dentist for the laughing gas), you're relaxed and you try to count from 10... and maybe make it to 8! Simple.

The other part... not sure! I'm nervous too... I also took only a week off!!! Fingers crossed!