Finally decided to join and post...nervous to be coiled

Hi everyone,

First of all, I want to thank everyone for sharing their stories on this fabulous site. After my aneurysm was discovered in the summer, I found all of you and your posts, discussions, etc. after searching the internet. I have been silently "reading up" on all of your experiences and advice ever since, and finally decided to join. So thank you.

I am a 33 year old male, whose brain aneurysm (3-4 mm ICA) was discovered this summer by a fluke. I had odd visual/balance sensations, and after several trips to the hospital, had an MRI which discovered it.
Aneurysms have always been a frightening part of life in my family - at least since 2002 - when my father unexpectedly passed away of a previously unknown, ruptured aneurysm.

Since the summer I have been having a few other health-related things examined, and will soon make my choice about whether to go ahead with coiling, as recommended by my fabulous neurosurgeon. He and his team said that "watchful-waiting" was also an option, but coiling may be more recommended in my case because of my family history.

I am nervous to go ahead with the coiling because of the possible complications - both during surgery and afterwards. Aside from being scary, the aneurysm clearly isn't affecting my life or health now at all. But afterwards...who knows? I'm worried that for whatever reason I won't be the same person...the same father to my beautiful 1.5 year old girl, the same husband, son, brother, etc. I know that if my aneurysm ever ruptured that would be the case, too - if not worse - but still. That is the conundrum I am having.

If anybody has any thoughts on why they did/did not choose to go ahead with coiling on a relatively small aneurysm, I would love to hear them...although I may have read them already :)

Hi !

How fortunate you are to have found your aneurysm before a crisis....I''m very sorry to hear about your father ! As you are aware, these things can certainly be hereditary in nature.

I can understand your hesitation in having a procedure done....Is surgical clipping an offer on the table? or just coiling..?

I ask this due to the fact that the coil hasn't been around all that long really, whereas the clipping is considered the Gold Standard in the "fix"...The fact that the coil method has a high risk of compacting down the line after your procedure is a bothersome nagging issue that personally I'm not too keen with.

But the fact that your own father had a catastrophic rupture--I think that alone is good enough reason to get your aneurysm fixed, and fixed soon. Even small aneurysms can burst, its the rate of growth that is a big concern with any annie...And I understand your worry related to the 'what if's' after the procedure, however I think those sort of risks are minute in comparison to a rupture..and not likely to happen anyway....

Peace to you as you make your decision,

Janet

I am not the best example of "coiling"...but I had no choice, my aneurysm was large and leaking and causing me many problems...

I think you have to look at the entire picture and your risks of rupture...your family history may be big enough...be sure when you make your decision ... you make it YOURS...

Good luck on your decision...and sending out thoughts ... ~ Colleen

I had no choice really, mine was so large and pressing on surrounding structures and interfering with life. If left it was going to cause still bigger problems. I'm pleased I had treatment before rupture. I probably wouldn't be writing this if it had ruptured. I'm sure your family history will make the surgeons/radiologists much more keen to do something as the rupture risk is much higher in the genetic form. They should be able to give you some estimate of rupture risk versus risk of procedure to help you decide. Your friends and family will probably all have a view too, but I agree with Colleen make it your own decision and don't just do something because others are pushing you.

I was coiled w a stent placed - over 3 years ago now and I am FINE!!!!! I have 2 other small ones that are monitored but haven't changed in 3 yrs since they were discovered. I also have family history. In my case it was probably better for me that the recommendation was clearly to coil - it didn't leave me a whole lot of room to doubt the recommendation and choose to wait. I'm so glad I had it done. I just wish I didn't have 2 more!

Hi Janet,

Thank you for your kind words and reply. My neurosurgeon is most confident in coiling in my case due to my aneurysm's location, and it doesn't require open surgery, of course, so less chance of infection, etc. He explained it much better than I can, but I do understand that clipping can be more decisive, if that's a good word for it.

Your words on on the what ifs are especially appreciated. Thanks!

Hi Colleen,

Thank you for your thoughts and for the ribbon :)

I'm sorry that you had to experience what you did. I'm so impressed by people such as yourself.

It's really the "making my decision" mine part that I think is the hardest. I want to feel confident in my decision, but want to do what is best for everyone else, too. Thanks for your words and thoughts.

Hi Judith,

Thank you. I think the idea of "I probably wouldn't be writing this if it had ruptured" hits home most for me at this point in time. I'm definitely still leaning towards having it done, and that is precisely why. Thank you for sharing!

Hi Jaycie,

I wish you didn't have 2 more, too! But thanks for sharing! It's funny that going into the whole thing I told myself the same - whatever the professionals thought I would go with. It's just that getting closer to my "check in" time, and time to make my decision to go ahead, I've forgotten about that a bit. Thanks for your encouraging thoughts!!

hi Mike! I also had no choice-sah coiling 4.5 years ago, recoiling 3 yrs ago. I completely understand the fear but its rather easy really. Think positive. I think you will be the same person and many changes will be positive and the few negative or adverse ones will improve!i think you are on the right track- you don't want to ignore issues and have a devastating rupture as I have, i'm permanently disabled but thank God many times a day that I can walk a little and shower and make small meals. We will keep you in thoughts and prayers, please keep us posted. Glad to see you sharing here- we luv interaction!

Hello, Very sorry to hear about your father. You are very fortunate to find yours before a rupture. It is a very scary thing to go thru. You just need to keep your faith and trust in your doctor. Mine was found before a rupture. I was told coiling and the PED device is less invasive. I went in with the plan of just coils but ended up with coils and the PED device. I would have chose to have just coils but that didn't work in my situation. I am doing fine. I am very glad I had it done. You are lucky to have found it and are able to have it fixed so you can be around for your daughter. Good luck with your decision. God bless Deb