Please I have some questions

They say you are suppose to get checked every year, but couldn't it burst before that year is up? Shouldn't it be sooner ? They check it every year because the only way they can is with a CT with contrast or MRI. A year is a safe number because some may forget or ignore the appointments but if they are around an important day in their life. Also if you are concerned you can go get a check up in 6 months.
Is aneursyms hereitary ? Studies are inconclusive but if your family has had them then you may want to get checked
Did any of you have no symptoms but later found out you had a aneursym????? I had a severe headache 2 days prior leading up to the seizure/stroke
When you were in this pain, could you call for help???? Or was it something to fast? I should have called for help but it depends on the situation. I cannot say yes or no on this one
Any details on experiences please...Had a ruptured aneurysm on April 12, 2007 and went into a seizure/stroke. I would not be alive if I did not work at a hospital. Within a minute a heart surgeon was performing CPR on me. I was transported to the ER where the did a CT and saw the aneurysm. I was life flighted to Vanderbilt where the neurosurgeon performed a craniotomy to repair the bleed. The spot it affected in my brain was on the left MCA which caused my right side to go limp. I was in the ICU for a month and then I was transferred to a rehab facility where I stayed for 6 weeks until I could walk with a cane. I continued outpatient rehab for 6 weeks after and every year I go back to rehab to make sure I am doing the best I can to have functionality in my right side.
How long was the recovery? The initial recovery was 6 months but every day I am recovering a bit more
Did you have any thought in that moment somehing wasn't right ? When I had my headache I asked a friend about it stating that I had not had a headahe like this before and it was very painful. He said that it was not as bad as his friend who had had an aneurysm. We both laughed but in the back of my mind the thought kept coming up of what if. When I had the stroke I knew I needed help and when I waved with my left hand my friend thought I meant smoke so I stumbled outside and fell down and went into a seizure.

Hi Danielle,

My mother & sister had burst aneurysms so I know how you feel. The risk of developing an aneurysm for those with a strong family history ( 2 - 1st degree relatives) is about 15%. I get scanned every 5 years.

To date I'm clear. Don't smoke or drink too much & control your blood pressure , that's about as much as you can do.

Take care

Mandy

Danielle- my take on this is as follows. An aneurysm can burst, or leak any old time it wants to! Better to have some warning so that you can deal with it rather than have an "explosion in your head"! My aneurysm was TOTALLY UNEXPECTED, and I had no symptoms. My father died of an aneurysm in the chest, but mine was in the brain. Maybe there is a family propensity for "blockages"? Like many of these questions, we'll never know. I had no symptoms & NO PAIN- from start to now. My wife found me the next morning, flat on my back and covered with vomit. I "awoke" about a week later in hospital and that began many months of recovery- learning to walk, and talk and read the newspaper, etc. etc. My first week in intensive care was the week of the September 11 bombings in New York, and I do recall all sorts of weird thoughts about a possible connection (explosion New York= explosion in head!!) But I think that's just me.. We count myself lucky that I didn't die! I had to learn to walk, and talk, and do everything all over again. But I did it and thirteen years later, the only physical defects are some difficulties with picking things up from the floor (neurological) and I suffer from something called "proactive interference" whereby if I do something, and a month later do the very same thing, my brain sometimes confuses the two!! I can live with that- in fact I'm just grateful to be still alive. Recommendations?: KEEP IT SIMPLE, and take things one day at a time. Like you I kept searching for answers, for some years really and I still am- (that's why I'm talking with you now!). I continue to have some problems with employment all these years later because I refuse to disclose anything about the aneurysm out of fear of being labelled ("he's brain damaged- don't employ him" sort of stuff)- and never working again. So I leave positions (I'm like a social worker) before the embarrassing questions begin. I DON'T recommend that as a strategy!! It's a wide open area but there's lots of research going on and I wish you well in conversing with others (I started a Support Group which helped me put things in perspective and read a lot about the condition so I could try and understand it better). The BEST thing I ever did? Lots of on-line talking and research and being very philosophical about it all. Best wishes for the future and if you want to contact I'm at ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– - out here in New Zealand.

Reading your posting again, it's not clear- have you- or a close friend/ relative been diagnosed with an aneurysm?

I freaked out at every head ache got after my rupture my surgeon told me it takes years for the aneurysm to form most times even decades. A year is a safe bet on check ups.
My advice is if you have the headache of a lifetime it is better to error on the side of caution thAn on the side of dead!

Danielle, I tell everyone I meet that I am the living and breathing proof of the power of prayer. I had a very high profile job so when it happened I donā€™t think there was a church in San Angelo that did not put me on their prayer board. My own children were praying the rosary (we are of the Catholic faith) via my sonā€™s I-Pad in the waiting room of the hospital. I am so thankful GOD allowed me to live!
Elaine

John H-B
Thank you for sharing your experience with me. I guess sometimes the only way we cope is to sometimes find answers and play scenarios in your heads of what if.
I appreciate the comment and yes I had a relative my mother that had an aneursym. Unfortunately she didnā€™t make it, nor even made to the hospital. It happened just a year ago barely. Sadly as your wife found you , I found my mother. As we lived together still . She was 43 years old. It was few hours to late and as much as I was in denial I didnā€™t believe it even after the emt or Corerner told me. I think some of us make it we still have work left to be done. Even though I wish she was here. I know she was at peace with it as a year ago she told me if her time came she would accept her faith. I am sorry you still have some issues with recovery but what a blessing it is to gone through that and come back almost good as new. Thank you I will keep that tip in mind . As I wouldnā€™t disclose that to my coworkers either if something like that happened to me. I feel less they know the better. And Iā€™m glad I found this site. So much people know what you been through or is going through it.

Sharong
Vertigo is something I read about aneursyms but your the first to tell me that. It scares me because I have vertigo a lot but no pain headaches . I usually push it off because I tell myself well Iā€™m only 24. But now my mom passed it really scares me .glad to hear your husband was there to ring the ambulance . That is a blessing

Mary
They sent you home same day your second coiling ? Wow thatā€™s scary. And to have two is even more brain wrecking. I do get dizzy spells and then I get anxiety. I donā€™t want to wait to get checked but at the same time I wonder if itā€™s just plain old dizziness and Iā€™m just still In trama from what I seen. My mom was the one with the aneursym. She passed last year . It was unexpected and I was the one I find her. I think the brain is a powerful thing and sometimes it plays tricks on you . Thank you for sharing with me

Sorry to hear about your mum, Danielle. My sister and our kids went into panic mode when I had mine, and got checked. (they were cleared). It's tough to lose a loved one. As I'm sure you're aware, grief is a process, not a one-off event and it takes a while to really accept the loss of a loved one. But it's all part of nature's healing. I hope you have some good support people and you're right- with this community you're talking with people who REALLY understand! Take care- John- and TALK, talk, talk- and let it out with loved ones..

Danielle said:

John H-B
Thank you for sharing your experience with me. I guess sometimes the only way we cope is to sometimes find answers and play scenarios in your heads of what if.
I appreciate the comment and yes I had a relative my mother that had an aneursym. Unfortunately she didn't make it, nor even made to the hospital. It happened just a year ago barely. Sadly as your wife found you , I found my mother. As we lived together still . She was 43 years old. It was few hours to late and as much as I was in denial I didn't believe it even after the emt or Corerner told me. I think some of us make it we still have work left to be done. Even though I wish she was here. I know she was at peace with it as a year ago she told me if her time came she would accept her faith. I am sorry you still have some issues with recovery but what a blessing it is to gone through that and come back almost good as new. Thank you I will keep that tip in mind . As I wouldn't disclose that to my coworkers either if something like that happened to me. I feel less they know the better. And I'm glad I found this site. So much people know what you been through or is going through it.

Andrealynn
Wow I didnā€™t know an aneursym can have bumps on them . All i know my moms aneurysm was left side artery I forgot the name at the moment . But it was a berry aneursym . And they only give you two days to stay in the hospital? Wow . And 3 months . Thatā€™s so good to hear. That does help my fear alittle more. I plan to get checked soon. Thank you

Dan
Wow I am so sorry. I canā€™t even begin to understand that feeling . But I do know when something scares us like that or someone passing or near death , makes us love life so much more and see it through new eyes. Thank you for sharing and I am happy you are aneursym free now.

October six Elaine
Thank you . My mom was big on prayer. She always said if it was her time she made peace with it along time ago. Thatā€™s why I feel when something in our body is wrong usually we sense it even if we have no symptoms. But some of us just isnā€™t ready to leave this earth. I know I pray and thank everyday to be alive . Because dispite my age I can leave this earth whenever it is my time

Wirelessbound
Thank you . I know I would be scared all the time. And even though it happened to my mother some days I feel as if it happened to me too.
I know you canā€™t trust google but I read sometimes it can form in a year or less??? I pray thatā€™s not true. But I feel so much better to know It takes years! My mind is much at ease

Min1959
Thank you . Yeah it really is scary when they tell you have to get checked often because someone in your family had it. I still havenā€™t got checked but as soon as I can I will.
I use to smoke when I was in teen years and stop drinking and my pressure has always been good except when I just gave birth this year was the only time it was high. Due to my m

Alex wiesemann
Thank you for answering my questions I appreciate it.
When you had a stroke did you know you weā€™re having one? And when you have a seizure are you concious of it hapoen

Alex wiesemann
That is just a true blessing to work at a hospital and to be there when it happened.
I am sorry for what you went through and happy to hear you are recovering good.

Hi Danielle,the size of my anni is 11mm,I was diagnosed last April after a head on collision with another car in the Jan.My migraine shifted to the other side so my doc sent me for a scan.that was when they found it,but mine is a rare one it is called a Fusiform so they canā€™t be coiled or clipped.my next MRI will be in 2016.my doctor told me the car accident didnā€™t cause the anni,so I donā€™t know how long I have had this.
But I think as long as you get regular checks and it dosnā€™t change in size,then they might just leave it.I live in Ireland and I think that is what they would do here.

I forgot to also mention HB said he lost use of his left arm right before.. He gained it back and then lost it again when he was disintegrating into vasospasms.. Doc told us that that would be an emergent sign if it ever returns...

At the moment I was having the stroke, I did not but hind sight is 20/20. I blacked out when I had my seizure so I do not remember it at all. The physician pulled my tongue from the back of my throat and kept me from choking on it.
Danielle said:

Alex wiesemann
Thank you for answering my questions I appreciate it.
When you had a stroke did you know you we're having one? And when you have a seizure are you concious of it hapoen

I am not sure how well this works but here is an article about Vertigo treatments

http://www.ucdenver.edu/about/newsroom/spotlight/patientcare/Pages/Do-it-yourself-Vertigo-Treatment.aspx