Hello!

I am new to this site. I had a ruptured aneurysm on June 10th. They did emergency surgery, first they tried to the coil but they weren't able to see it then they clipped it. The only problems I'm currently having is some short term memory loss, tired all the time and headaches. The headaches are diminishing since I've been out of the hospital. I'm really greatful that this forum is here. I've felt so alone since this has happened and my family and friends really can't understand how I feel. I had a follow-up CT last week which showed some hydrocephalus. My doctor did a lumbar puncture to check the pressure which was fine. I think one of the worst things to deal with is the fear of it happening again eventhough my doctor says that it won't happen. I'm really looking forward to getting to know all of you and having all of you for support and answers.

Katie

My goodness. That was so recently. You must be doing an incredible recovery. I know what you mean about other people not understanding. In casual and even not so casual contact with people I seem to so normal. Most people don't get it when I say I have this or that issue. My sisters, bless them, did point out to me that my memory deficits were not just like normal aging. This is different they said. Other people can't even get it that I'm not just tired, I really, really need a nap or I risk my brain blipping out on me. I know what you mean about worrying. My surgeon kept insisting that I don't have any other aneurysms. But where did this one come from? What's to say that one isn't in the process of forming? Why did I have this one? Etc. And I can't quite buy into his assurances. On the other hand sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof. I think that is a saying from my mom and uncle, probably from their father. It means don't worry about the future. It will arrive and then you will deal with it.

Thanks Jo, I will definitely take your advice and treat myself and try not to push myself.

Hi Lleni, I really like your saying. I don't really notice my memory issues but my kids have been noticing. I have an appointment for a neuro analysis which I guess will measure my cognitive functions. I have made appointments for both my children to have CT's to check for aneurysms. I found out after this all happened that my grandfather and his brother bother both passed from ruptured aneurysms (although both were in the stomach). My brother had a CT last week which thankfully came out negative. I completely understand the fear of another one. I'm even afraid to sneeze sometimes. I do feel truly lucky to have the surgeon I have and I do have alot of confidence in him. I have known him for years, but never in a million years thought I would be his patient. I have worked at University of Maryland for 20 years and was treated like a VIP when I was in the hospital. I don't remember anything that happened after I collapsed in my kitchen and I woke up two days later, intubated in the hospital. I'm so grateful to everyone who helped me during this time (the doctors, nurses, EMT's, my kids, my family, my friends). Now I'm grateful to have all of you to talk to. Thanks

I had to smile at some of your statements because I can relate to them so well. I blew my aneurysm by blowing my nose. I still get up every morning and blow my nose and I have to admit a flash of concern goes through my thoughts. Early on I was unaware of my memory issues too. I thought I was just fine and my family set me straight. I don't believe I have any family history and none of the local medical people has suggested that my kids or siblings should be checked, but I certainly wonder about that too. It is interesting that many or most seem to lose consciousness. I didn't, just felt odd in my head. I remember my thought process going something like this, "mmm, this can't be good. I think this is going to mess up going on the field trip today." I guess I could have lost consciousness as the helicopter descended at our first stop. They sent me to Chico which had the nearest trauma center. The next thing I remember is a male voice say, "You've had a ruptured aneurysm and you have to have brain surgery. Now, they are willing to do that here or I can take you to UCSF where there is an excellent surgeon who had done 3000 of these same surgeries." I was alert and clear enough to hear that word, "willing" and laugh. I could clearly understand that that indicated a bad option. I told him to take me to UCSF. and he asked a 2nd time just to make it very clear I guess. The next thing I remember was being wheeled on a stretcher into the UCSF neurosurgery dept. and seeing my husband. They didn't actually do the surgery until the following afternoon.

Hi Katie...it does take time to heal...not only physically ... but mentally...and we have to put the "fear" in perspective...You are alive...and if we have fear everyday...we cease to live...it takes time, but it is so worth working on...and I am so glad you found this site, because you will find out you are not alone...and we all work on it...but learn to appreciate each given day we have...Gotcha in my Thoughts ~ Colleen

hi Katie-glad your here-youll find great support here as i see your finding out from the woonderful comments-hang in there-things will improve-may God bless you & yours

Hi Katie,

welcome on board !!

I had my rupture on february,2009 first coiled and on january 2010 I got the PED ( Pipeline Embolization device ).

I perfectly understand your feeling because I had / have the same ; do not warry, it's impossible to explain to other people ( parents also ) how do we feel , I think is normal.

for what concerns fear, also this is normal..I'm used to live with this every day.

We're happy to have this community.

Take care from Italy, giovanni

Thank you for your words of encouragement Nikki.

Hi Giovanni, I'm glad to hear you are doing well and you understand the fears I have of another rupture. It is so sudden with no warning. Can you tell me how long your recovery was after your rupture? How long were you out of work? Take care and thank you. Katie

Hi Ron, thank you. It means so much to me to have this support.

Hi ,

I was in the hospital approx 2 weeks and more 2 weeks at home.

I started working part time for approx 20 days and after full time.

take care

Giovanni, You had 2 surgeries a year apart for the same rupture? I thought coiling was for unruptured aneurysms. What is a PED. I'm pretty sure that what they said they did for my rupture was a clip that acts like a suture and pulls the hole in the artery closed. And nothing was mentioned about needing a 2nd surgery. So helpful to hear about other treatment paths!

Hi Lleni,

I'm very new to all of this so I'm not very versed on all the issues and treatments. Apparently they can coil ruptures becuase they tried to coil mine. The coiling failed because they weren't able to see it very clearly so they stopped trying and then clipped it.

Take care,

Katie

Gee Katie, I would say that you must be a pretty healthy person and recovering rather quickly. When you say clipping, doesn't it mean that they had to do a craniotomy and dig around in your brain to find the hole in order to clip it closed? That is major brain surgery and there is a lot of brain tissue that gets mauled. It takes time to heal. I'm just over a year since my clipping. I have all those symptoms, they are just getting less. My surgeon said to expect around 1 1/2 years for brain recovery. I'm working on both physical exercise and brain exercise to promote that recovery. I didn't pick up the real workouts until about 6-7 months post surgery. And I had a trainer who helped me start very slowly. Now I'm working mostly 2-3 hours at a time in the office. Folks have asked me for a polite phrase to tell me that it is time to go home and get a nap. So my advice is to stick with how you feel and what you feel you need and protect yourself so that you heal. Relax and let your family and friends take care of you so that you will be putting your energy internally on healing. In the long run I think that is a win-win for everyone.

Hi Lleni,

Yes, they cut my head open in order to clip it. I do feel good considering what happened and I hope to keep getting better. I really haven't been out much since it happened and when I do I get tired very quickly. I'm just taking it a day at a time and looking forward to the day I can go back to work and have the energy to last an entire day. I think you have to have goals and strive to reach them. Right now my goal is to be back to work, at least part-time, by September or October. Lleni, what phrase did you come up with for your co-workers to use when they think you need a nap. It might come in handy when I go back to work. Do you still have headaches everyday? That is the one thing I find most difficult to deal with right now. It really takes a toll on me having the constant pain. Thanks for the advice, as always, I'm glad to have all of you.

Take care, Katie

The plan is for them to say, " Lleni, it looks like you are wilting." We are a very small and family like office. And I'm the boss so I don't have to worry about an employer thinking I should be let go. I don't remember how soon I started going in. We had one employee who sucked the life out of me. She has left us. That makes the office less draining for me. Still I guess the commotion and constant interruption that demands switching attention and retaining the prior task take a toll on me.

Actual pain is an issue I really didn't have. Of course, that is something I should ask my family because my memory wasn't happening for quite some time, at least the first month. Now I get feelings of pressure, like my head is in a case that is clamping down on it. I also get an occasional stab like a pin or a nail being inserted. That only lasts a few seconds. I've found that cranial sacral work by a chiropractor or Rolfer has been able to relieve the pressure feeling. It is very hard to think when that pressure happens. I feel like thinking makes it tighten and the tightening inhibits my ability to think. My last CT scan report included the phrase "stable hydrocephalus". Perhaps there is a bit too much cerebral spinal fluid getting stuck in my brain. One the issues after surgery was a narrowed 4th ventricle. They put something on it to make the tissues shrink away and open the passage. That was done through a femoral artery. I remember it because it made my lower back really hurt and I automatically bent my knees to relieve the pressure and got into trouble with the nurses. They had told me I needed to lie flat and keep my legs straight. And they had good reason. My action made the artery bleed a bunch.

Another aspect of all this is that I am probably older than most SAH folks. I'm ready to retire and really just want to work so I can get that to happen.

Thanks for sharing Lleni. I understand the pressure and sharp pain you are referring to. Your last CT showed hydrocephalus. Can you remind me how long ago your SAH happened. I also have hydrocephalus and I'm hoping it gets better so they don't have to put in a shunt. How often do you go in to have a CT scan done and are they also checking the pressure of CSF with lumbar punctures. Thanks, Katie

Katie, sorry I missed this before. I'm a year since the SAH. I've really just had this CT scan I think. I believe I had an MRI when I was hospitalized 4 month post surgery with TGA, transient global amnesia. Nobody has mentioned shunt and there have been no lumbar punctures. When my head feels pressure, I interpret as my 4th ventricle not draining properly because that is a problem I had immediately after the clipping. I have found relief from both my chiropractor and my Rolfer. They are both trained in cranial sacral work.

Thanks for letting me know Lleni. I'll write back as soon as I find out the status of the hydrocephalus. I will be going back the end of August. Take care, Katie