Please I have some questions

Hi,

I did not know I had a brain aneurysm until it ruptured however I did have chronic headaches and severe pain 3 months leading up to the rupture.

The pain definitely came on fast and thankfully I was with people who could call 911 for me. Every person is different but you may atleast be able to place the call and not be able to get in to details...atleast they can trace from there.

My ICU stay was 14 days, I was in a regular room only 1 day however my at home recovery was about 6 months. I still have days that having a clipped aneurysm effects me. My memory is horrible as is my anxiety.

Aneurysms are very much hereitary. Be sure to have family members scanned. They are typically every 2nd generation however we have since found them in every generation in my family.

Best of luck. I'm here if you have any other questions.

Amy

Hi Danielle, when my aneurysm burst there were no symptoms. I knew something was terribly wrong but if not for my brother noticing my speech I would have just gone to bed. I remember nothing after the rupture, but according to my family I became very angry and defensive toward others, even the ambulance crew. I was 14 days in ICU after being clipped, and they found another aneurysm during the first MRA. The second one is now being monitored every year and I am almost two years into this. Recovery is ongoing, but I am learning to love my new life.

I am so sorry for your loss, but yes it is hereditary. If you haven't been checked do so. If you have been and something was found, rest assured that yearly is fine.

Okay from what my Neurosurgeon told me. Dr. Turk III was trying to figure out the cause of mine at age 37. After surgery and family history it was determined mine was hereditary. I had a grandfather, two aunts, and a first cousin pass from these critters.Recovery depends on the person and amount of brain damage that occurs. Mine was on the frontal lube right behind my left eye. It was a difficult one due to being in the middle cerebral artery at a trification point. I had began having headaches but the Dr. told me they were just sinus headaches to take sinus medicine. I know exactly when mine ruptured. I got the worse headache ever, lights started bothering me, and vomiting ensued. Went to E.R. they said that I need surgery to repair due to the location they coiled mine. I have eight coils but could need to have more if they get compacted. My first check up was one month later, 6 months, 12 months, and he said 3 yrs, but due to a study I am in I have to be checked again in 12 months then 3 years. I was able to call my neurosurgery dept anytime I was having pain then they advised me of the next step or called in medicine for me. Mine ruptured at 11 oā€™clock pm and I was at local ER for 4 hours. Then, transported to major hospital an hour away. Then surgery was at 3 pm next day. They put in a coma until time for my surgery. I was admitted 11/23/13 until 12/5/13. I wouldnā€™t lie in bed was up walking with a cane the said was ready to go home. No heavy exertion or straining that can cause a rebleed or rupture to occur. Voice your concerns with your Neurosurgeon ask questions and be well I formed. If your Dr. isnā€™t giving you the answers or addressing your concerns consider seeing a new doctor. You need a good relationship with your Neurosurgeon, or it will cause lots of anxiety.
Christine

it was not my story to tell but my HB. His was unexpected but he had high untreated BP (stubborn) and was living in severe pain not managed at all from discs herniated. He had pushed himself being the hard working and honorable man for years ... then one afternoon rushing to a graduation he went down in the shower. The pain was severe and he was yelling in agony. The worst sound I have ever heard in my life. Called 911 immediately and he was rushed to nearest trauma place where he underwent surgery asap for the coiling it is only partial. He had vasospasm , pneumonia double was in a coma. Miraculously he came back and out of ICU after 14 days. !5th day he went home with me. Four months later teaching middle school algebra. He is not the norm but extraordinary exception. He does have some times and things that are not the same but he came back with 165 IQ points in tact. Another really cool thing is that he finally stopped those steroid injection to manage back pain three moths before the meningitis scare and switched to acupuncture which FINALLY brought pain relief after all those years. It took about a year and we have him on supplements from and Integrative doctor for him to fully come back . it also sped up his aging process which triggered early onset Alzheimers ( his family has it for many generations )and he lost a kidney but we are grateful for his survival and value every moment.

the fear of what if and it might does dominate for a while and always but you have to learn to live in the moment.... not always easy and I being the wife of twenty four years sometimes panic thinking I will lose him again but I try not to think on it. It has been three years.

Danielle, im not quite sure how to read this, but it shows 386 views which means you will probably get 386 totally different stories. A RUPTURED annie is a big difference from one (or numerous ones) they have caught and are watching. If you are worried about what to watch for.
Severe headache (mine lasted all summer and I just ignored it (stupid)) get help!
In most cases when they rupture, you start throwing up and /or pass out. I did both. Hereditary? They are seeing that more often. Im pretty sure my Dad died of a brain aneurysm, no autopsy was done. My sister was checked, she doesnt have any at this point.

Please dont worry yourself into high blood pressure. Keep Calm and keep in touch with how your body feels!
Melissa C

Danielle,
I was59 years old in 2012. I was a very healthy person, I hardly never got sick, no flu, no stomach upsets, ect. And I did work in the public sector and visited my Mom in an assisted living facility so it was not like I didnā€™t come in contact with germs. I have always had headache, because I have sinus issues. That week staring on Tuesday I had a bad headache that would not go away. On Saturday of that week we were getting ready to pick up my Mom to take her to church. I started to feel sick at my stomach and asked my husband ( thank God he was home) to get my something to drink. I went to the bathroom, vomited, and passed out. That is the last thing I remember before waking up in the hospital.

Mine ruptured before I even knew I had an aneurysm, so there was no watching mine. After the coiling procedure failed due to the size of my aneurysm, I went immediately to surgery. When the doctor got into my brain and clipped the bleeder, he noticed a second one and clipped it right away. He then went back over the angiogram spotting a third on the other side of my brain and clipped it also.

As far as having symptoms before rupture, usually you don't. I was on the phone when suddenly it felt like someone drove an ice pick through my right eye, it is literally the WORST pain you will ever feel. I never lost consciousness, and didn't arrive at the hospital for 7 hours, all the time I was able to take care of my kids. I had surgery the next morning and was released from the hospital after 14 days. That being said, my recovery was not typical, I was definitely blessed.

I say, if you're not comfortable with the wait and watch approach, get another opinion from another neurosurgeon. It's your brain, it's your life!!! Personally, I wouldn't wait.

Thank you chilly . I donā€™t have a neurosurgeon , i donā€™t have a aneursym but my mom passed away from one. Just hearing everyoneā€™s experiences and thoughts on it really helps me deal with my whole grieving process. Thank you . But I do plan to get a scan just in case

Thank you Joyce. I am so sorry to hear about your husband . I know It must be a struggle everyday. And to have that feeling you canā€™t do everything you use to is so hard . I am so happy to hear he made through it. I prayed to god for a sign for my mom. But it was to late. Said she had a disfused SAH . So guessing it lasted a while bfore she passed away . She never complained of any headache or any eye dropping. I lived with her with my husband in the house. She seemed like she always does. I always wonder if in those last hours the signs were there. I just wish there was more than just a headache. Because Iā€™m sure many just ignore it and go back to sleep or try to tough it out. Thank you I really appreciate your story. It really helps

Oh wow! It was that sudden? My mom never knew she had a aneursym . The day her family found out was the day she passed and the Corerner called to reveal her illness. Iā€™m sorry for all you been through

I would never have know my HB was getting ready to rupture.... other than the headache. It did not get severe until it ruptured and we had no prior history. He did has some discernment issues on decisions for some time leading up to and it was in the frontal lobe of the brain... I have never been told but wondered if this was a part... My HB had no clue and if he had been alone or with someone not responsive or had access to ER and surgery and good ICU care would have died.

I had almost died myself many years ago and recognized the place he was at but without that experience might not have known...

Thank you lyric. I really do need to let go of the guilt. I just never knew you can live with someone and be so close to not know something is off about them. Iā€™m sorry to hear about your husband . Was he able to tell you he needed to go to the hospital . The Corerner told me sometimes itā€™s to quick or sometimes they arenā€™t aware of what they say or do.

Wow. That is just scary to not ever know until it happens like that so sudden. Just makes me wonder what my mom felt in her last hours. I wasnā€™t ever able to ask her anything . The Corerner said maybe in her last hours she might of felt something . I just never understood how I was feet away and she never woke me. Iā€™m just trying to make sense of it all.
I have babies now of my own and just in case I would like to learn more about this silent killer for my sake also. I plan to get check as soon as my medical falls through. I appreciated your story and advice

I had no systems except a headache one hour before the rupture. There were no other symptoms. When it ruptured, I was working from home and I crawled downstairs to my daughter and she called 911 after I explained what had happened. No one in my family had ever had one, we had no idea about my aneurysms. If yours has been identified, take precautionary measures with family and friends to insure they know to get you immediately to a hospital with a team that is ready to repair a rupture. Chances are your Neuro radiologist knows your are safe until they schedule surgery. Good luck and afterwards use your local BAF support group for discussions on what to expect after surgery and beyond. I still go after almost six years since my rupture. The group helps me cope with PTSD, side effects, and understanding that the changes we experience are not always unique to oneself. Take care.

October six
I am glad your husband was there to save you in that moment. I read usually when it burst some get sick to their stomach. I say it was a blessing and a good thing you had your husband there . My mom was feet away but when she passed away it was early morning when we all were asleep . I say it happened that time of day maybe for a reason. But she did always tell me she would accept her faith if her time ever came. Just sad it was too soon. She was only 43. Last year

Melissa
When you passed out was there someone there that found you ? I am sorry for your experience with this illness. My mom passed away last year from this deadly killer.
I plan to get checked in case it could be hereditary . Thank you

Hi, I donā€™t think itā€™s known if they are hereditary or not. I can speak from my own experience. I had a rupture on march 25, 2013, not knowing at the time it was an aneurysm. I had weakness in my left hand and a unfamiliar sensation in my face. I was fully aware that something was wrong and not knowing what but knew I needed to get to the hospital. I was not in pain I just had a neck ache earlier that day. To make a long story short I had two aneurysms, I had a clipping done on one of them on may 5, 2013 spent one week in the hospital and one week in rehab then I was able to go home the second aneurysm was coiled on July 31, 2013, I spent one dsy on the hospital for that procedure. Looking back I guess I did have signs, for instance I had dizzy spells but they were quick and always went away, and on two different occasions I remember asking myself if I were here and living. Strange feelings, but it explains what I know now. Itā€™s been one year and 5 months sidey surgery. I used to worry about everything, but now I just live each day happily and blessed that I made it through so much. I hope my story helps you to find answers. Stay positive :slight_smile:

Lyric
God bless you and your husband for that sounds scary to go through and he really did to through a lot and made it out alight . Thatā€™s the best thing anyone can ask for . My mom did have high BP and cholesterol but nothing out of the ordinary . No headaches that made her seem like she was in pain. She did seem more slow or out of it but I thought maybe she was just tired . She did have a cold at time so we didnā€™t think anything of it, until the last morning I found her lifeless. I always wish she was here but I tell myself she probably will be disabled due to her length of bleed the Corerner told us. But glad to hear he is okay . Thank you

There is a useful page on the BAF website that discusses familial aneurysms. Apparently, there is a study underway to determine the specific genes responsible for familial aneurysms:

http://www.bafound.org/family-history