Please allow me to introduce myself

I’ve just joined the group this weekend and wanted to say hello. I suffered a ruptured aneurysm on Jan 20 of this year and had it coiled, details are in my profile.

After I was released from the hospital I received in-home OT/PT/Speech therapy once a week from February through May. After reading some stories here I realize how fortunate I am, the hospital put all of that together as a standard part of my release. My therapists were top notch and I absolutely credit them for helping me get back to “my old self”.

I’m set to start back to work for 12hrs/week on Monday the 10th. I guess that is close to six months post-aneurysm. My employer has been surprisingly gracious in allowing me to return to work slowly. Not looking to go back full time until October and slowly easing into it.

In addition to starting work this month I have a MRI/A scheduled for the 25th. I’ve been back to my neurologist every month for a CT scan but assuming the results of the procedure on the 25th are positive I expect to go to yearly exams.

All that just to say I’m very grateful that I seem to be recovering about as well as could possibly be expected. I have two sons, ages 16 & 17, and I realize more than ever what a gift I’m given to see them continue to grow up. My oldest has been going on walks with me to help recover my stamina and while I’m not saying I’m glad this happened, I can at least be grateful for the opportunity to have a good reason to spend that time with him. :slightly_smiling_face:

So that’s some of my journey. Look forward to getting to know some of you and hopefully providing support to others where I can.

5 Likes

@FreddJones
Welcome from a fellow brain aneurysm rupture to the group that no one wants to be a member of, but here we are trying to lift each other up. I think you have got a great gift, you survived the rupture despite waiting a couple of days before you got to the hospital. The statistics are grim, I’m sure you have learned that only about half of all that rupture will survive the first 24 hours, for some, their first symptom will be their last and don’t even make it alive to the hospital. Some of us are lucky to come out of this with minimal symptoms while others have substantial deficits. The path of recovery is often measured in years, not weeks or months and we have to learn how to live with whatever problems we have. To get a second lease of life is a wonderful gift. Many of us look at our lives differently after this ordeal. The recovery takes time, don’t overdo it when you get back to work. Remember that slow and steady wins the race. Good luck with everything.
We are here for you.

3 Likes

Ok I’m old and am now singing The Rolling Stones song :joy:. I ruptured as well, I started telling people I popped my pipe back in 2013 soon after I was released from NSICU. I used a hose pipe (garden hose) as an example when explaining what a ruptured aneurysm was to those who didn’t know. The old ones would form a blister if you left them out in the sun, or drive over them.

I totally agree you were fortunate to receive in home health care services. What a wonderful thing for your Doctor to do! I hope that catches on with other Neurosurgeons here in the States, I will definitely tell mine, and encourage others to do the same.

Your son walking with you tells me that you’ve got a great bond with him. How wonderful it is to have someone by your side as you regain your strength! Teenage angst is difficult for everyone and you are taking time to strengthen the bond, happy dance!

As @oct20 says, slow and steady wins the race. When I came across hurdles, I had quite a few, still do sometimes. I eventually took it as a challenge in finding a way around them. If I tried plowing through, I always ended up paying a price. I’m happy to read you’re returning to work at a nice pace. I believe you will do very well with your recovery. Be patient with yourself…and thus your family. Sometimes we don’t know just how scared they were when we ruptured.

3 Likes

Hi Fred,
Congratulations on your recovery! I too had a ruptured aneurism in 1998, had surgery to clip it and they found two others that were also clipped but unruptured. So I worked hard to recover, very hard. In the end I returned to work, divorced my husband, and joined a rock band. :wink: If you’d like to listen to my music please do so at this link: Connquest performing Magic Man @ gratiot pub 6/18/23 - YouTube Yes that is me with all that hair that was once shaved for surgery. :wink: I am happy to share my story because it is my legacy and I am also very thankful that I survived so well. I thank God, and my family for getting through it all. I can be reached at (email deleted by Moltroub, please PM each other) should you feel the urge to communicate. Have a great day!
~Connie

3 Likes

I love starting a new day with a chuckle and a great song! Sharing our stories is a fantastic way to show we can survive a lot of things. Thank you!

Remember PMs should be used when wanting to connect off site blocking what everyone on the internet can see. We haven’t been private for several years now. PMs are done by clicking on the member’s avatar, a box will pop up and a blue message box appears within the pop up. Click on message and follow the rest, easy smeasy!

2 Likes

Welcome! 2 coilings for me in 2019. It definately makes you rethink how you want to experience life!

2 Likes

Hi Zunie, I’m glad that you’re here. Yes sharing stories is a great way to show our survival skills. I’m still trying to figure this site out. Hopefully I’m replying correctly. :wink:

1 Like

Having a party tomorrow night to celebrate my 4th year of surviving! I’ve also decided to meet with a vascular neurologist and talk about what my long-term effects are. I guess I have a pretty good idea, but I want to talk to somebody who can talk it through with me. My surgeon was absolutely wonderful, but no one but my occupational therapist in the hospital talked to me much about long-term effects. I feel like I’m ready to hear More about it!

2 Likes

@constance any time you need help navigating the site, reach out to me @Moltroub or @ModSupport, you can also ask the members. We are all here to help each other!

@Zunie how wonderful to be having a party! We have one each year and invite those that have supported us during the year as a way to thank them. Have fun at the party!

Thank you I appreciate your offer to help!

Constance

1 Like

Hear more and learn all you can, then prove them wrong…again! :wink:

1 Like

Welcome to the club of grateful survivors. @Moltroub I was singing right along with you.
I’m five years post coiling for a SAH and unruptured annie with subsequent stents, the last one was in 2021. We’re all walking talking miracles. :slightly_smiling_face:
I’m currently taking care of my 94 year old mother so I’m in and out - more out than in but I pop by as much as possible. She’s a handful.
Wishing you all the best!

2 Likes

Thank you!

Seems like I should post an update here. Went in for my 6 month post-surgery MRA scan. Was the first time I was fully awake for the scan and good grief that machine is just a symphony of noise! Per the report from the radiologist:
“Approximately 3-4 mm focus of curvilinear and slightly nodular signal abnormality within the base of the anterior communicating artery aneurysm coil pack for which tiny residual aneurysm cannot be excluded.”

So, unfortunately not the clean bill of health I had hoped for. So now we’re in the wait and watch phase, I’ll return in another 6 months for another scan to see if the “abnormality” grows. I try not to be anxious but it’s difficult to put it out of my mind.

I’ve returned to work, this was the first week where I’ve done 20 hours. I’m surprised by how exhausted I am. No headaches per se, but my brain feels like your muscles do after a strenuous work out, just tired. If that makes any sense. I had intended to up my hours to 32 in September but I may back off that and give myself some more time.

The long and winding road of recovery, so similar for many of us and so different at the same time.

Thanks for the update Cory! And yes to the symphony of sounds roflol. Did you get the new fangled fast MRI or the slower one? I bet the radiologist suggested another angiogram too, every one I’ve ever had has suggested it, even my last one, due to a little white spot.

I won’t tell you not to worry, I despise it when people tell that to me even when I’m not now, nor have ever been a worrier for myself. I think it makes people worry. What I will say is I’m a bit envious you’ve been able to return to work! I am so doing a happy dance for you! You are so far ahead of me in your healing, it’s just awesome!

You may feel in a couple weeks time that you can up your hours. I understand your feelings of the brain being like a muscle, it’s felt like that to me since I ruptured. It’s easier to think of our brains like a muscle than all the neurons, synapses, neurotransmitters etc. Take a nap when you need one, power naps help a lot. Don’t forget to hydrate and eat protein!

That’s a good question @Moltroub, I don’t really know how to distinguish the cool new MRI machines. The scan took about 45 minutes in total if that helps? Are the new machines faster?

This last scan they gave me contrast dye (which I assume is what puts it in angiogram territory) and you’re right, I’m sure that’s how we’ll do the next one. I’m fortunate that the contrast dye doesn’t bother me like I know it bothers some folk.

My last MRI I had an MRA that looked specifically at my pituitary adenoma. Most times there’s orders for an MRA that doesn’t look at it along with the MRI. It was a new machine and both together took 15 minutes! I didnt have to wear a gown! I also didn’t have contrast dye, I’m one of those who can’t take it. Over the years and dozens of MRIs and angiograms I’ve developed a really nasty allergy to it. When I would be put in the older machines which weren’t really old and had dye, I’d be hanging out and napping for about 60-90 minutes, a few times close to the 2 hour mark. I learned to enjoy the cacophony of sounds, they take me to a busy city and a harbor.

Here’s a lot of information on MRI’s Gadolinium Magnetic Resonance Imaging - StatPearls - NCBI Bookshelf

There’s a difference in what an MRI and an MRA show the Radiologist https://www.baptisthealth.com/blog/baptist-health/mri-vs-mra-what-s-the-difference#:~:text=An%20MRI%20(magnetic%20resonance%20imaging,are%20painless%20and%20non%2Dinvasive.

This is an explanation of a cerebral angiogram there are several names for it. I think, but don’t know. that the angiography is the process to collect the images called angiogram I read that one time… Cerebral Angiography

Basically the MRI/As use magnetic imaging and the angiogram uses X-ray imaging (plus the catheter weaving it’s way around our brain and takes hours)

Oh boy, I do love reading the nerdy stuff, sincerely! Thanks sending those links!

From reading that stuff, I’m sure I had the angiogram when I was in ICU back at the beginning of the year, but this time around it was just the MRA. I suspect they may indeed order an angiogram depending on what they find when I go back for another MRA in January. I haven’t actually gotten the call to schedule the follow up, so I guess we’ll see!

I live in Seattle, so the sounds did indeed remind me of a construction zone. Although, the very first part had a very specific rhythm, and I could do breathing exercises to calm myself to it - 4 seconds in, hold 4 seconds, breath out 4 seconds, hold 4 seconds, and repeat…Seriously, I’m not particularly claustrophobic but when they put that cage on my head it was very disconcerting.

Hi thanks for the Welcome note, Glad you’re still singing, it sure helps! I certainly am a grateful survivor my annie ruptured. I should be here typing this today. Through all of this I have learned just how tough I am. :wink: I am sure that you’re thinking the same. Thats great that you still have your Mom at 94. My Mom is very self sufficient, still drives, just retired and will be 92 this month! I am so grateful to still have her. :wink:

1 Like

Yay! A fellow nerdy person! You’re correct, you’ve had an angiogram, that’s what they do when the coil us, use a ballon assist (again with more coils), and/or a stent (again with more coils). It’s the endovascular procedure. When I had my fourth repair procedure, I received a stent. Dr.Quintero-Wolfe presented me with a stent card to carry every where I go. I told her I was now a card carrying caged wired air head😂

The breathing really helps doesn’t it? I like to breathe.

If you haven’t gotten the call to schedule the MRI in four or five months, reach out to your team. I’ve had to do that a couple of times, no biggy. I put it on my calendar as a reminder. I found out last week I have been moved from 5 year recheck to 3 year recheck because of a little white spot that’s showed up. Guess what? I put it on my calendar!

1 Like