New member to this group

From NCoh15 to Dancermom
Sent Apr 12

I am brand new to this group and not sure how to make the most of the experience for myself and to help others. I suffered my Aneurysm on Thanksgiving day 2014. In a sense I am very fortunate to still be alive as I planted myself on my bed with an ice pack for 5 -6 days thinking it was just a bad migraine. However the pain was like nothing I could compare it to in the past or since. My I couldn't muster the strength to call 911 but my sister, after not hearing from me for 5 days called the women who walked my dog when I worked and she had a key to my apt. She asked her to check up on my. Needless to say, within less than 12 hours I was admitted to the ICU unit for an Angiogram and then ultimately a coiling of a couple of bursting arteries. The last thing I heard as they were putting me under general anesthesia as the Dr saying it was real grim.

Well I m still here with a relatively (compared to some) minor amount of cognitive defect. Unfortunately the defect is just enough from allowing me to continue o make my living the way I have for 34 years as a commercial banker. It requires a lot of mental focus. I tried going back twice but kept reading the same page 5 times and still not realizing what I was reading. I live alone and am scared to death with how I am going to live the rest of my life. I'm facing eviction as disability isn't sufficient to sustain me and cant believe how unbelievably exhausted I always seem to be.

If you could help with some ideas on how I can use this group or parts of it to help with moving forward and ultimately helping others I would be sincerely appreciative.

I am scared to death with what happens next.

Sincerely

I am so sorry to hear about what you're going through! Do you have family nearby that can help you? Are you by any chance a veteran? I am scrambling to think of ideas for you. In what area of the country do you live? I would be happy to try to help, if there is any way I can. (I am a police officer, and a community outreach coordinator...)

Dana

Your story has made me so sad… Do you have family, friends or some community, church, with whom you can share the burden? It’s never too late, you know. You should not be losing hope, no matter how bad things seem or are. Remember you’re a survivor and quite a great one after everything you’ve been through. And your writing is very good for someone who’s been through burst aneurysms. Try also to find a job that’s less stressful. Really, it’s important to take care of yourself! Big hugs to you and don’t hesitate to share here also.

I do want you to kmow that the healing does continue. A trumoatic brain injury takes time to heal and it will .

I just want to write and say that I felt a lot like you after about the same amount of time - I had a craniotomy and clipping. I used to lack focus when reading and read the same page over and over. Short term memory problems lasted several months but I did a lot of quizzes and crosswords and slowly this all went back to normal for me. It took a while, about 2 years I think, and then I went back and finished my Masters. My rupture was in 1989, I have since returned to my 'old self', even emigrated and learnt to speak a new language fluently! But it takes time and lots of rest and patience with yourself. Take care and good luck, it gets better.

Hello & welcome!

Sorry to hear your story. Time heals everything. Don’t be so hard on yourself & don’t think you just can hop back in the saddle. You have to recoup my brother.

Obviously check with your doctor,
BUT, I would highly reccomend Vitamins and exercise, puzzles & mazes.

Running, biking or swimming. The exercise will supply more oxygen to your brain & heal faster.

Combine that with vitamins & it will shorten your recovery time.

Vitamin B 12-- energy & cognition
Rutin-- helps strengthen arteries
Neuro Optimizer-- cognition
Fish oil-- cognition
Multi vitamin
St. John’s Wart-- helps w Depression
Theanine-- helps w anxiety

GABA-- great for sleeping & reduces stress

I can’t stress how important the combination of exercise & vitamins were in my recovery. I was a complete train wreck when I was finally cared for.

As far as puzzles & mazes, any will do. Our brains are like a muscle & they have to be worked out. Your brain may have lost some, but it’s like riding a bike… It will come back. Gotta give it time.

I hope this helps!

All the best,

Daryl

I agree with the above messages. I had a craniotomy and clipping (July 2012) as well. Returning with work, or even comprehending anything I was reading was incredibly difficult for a very long time. It did return but not without a lot of patience and prayers. Healing from this trauma takes more time then you *think* you actually need. I told my husband I felt like I had "my spark back" after 18 months. Even now with work (I'm a photographer) I need lots of notes to remember things... and I feel like my creativity isn't quite where is once burned. It takes time. You need support, recovering is no easy task.

xoxo

Thank Goodness you were found and treated!!!. Everyone told me that I had to be patient and I am not a patient person however they were right. I got better with time and had to adjust on somethings. I had two aneurysms on my left opthalmic artery and one on the right posterior communicating artery. They did not rupture so I had a flow diverter put in the left artery and that treated the two largest aneurysms. I still have to go back for treatment of the right PCOM and I am nervous about it however I have faith. I figure that God is in control and I have to trust that everything has it's purpose. Remember that your brain had an injury and just like any other injury it takes time to heal. I was exhausted too. I would look into Social Security Disability. I was denied however by the time I had my hearing I was doing ok. I hope you stay on this group for support. We all care about you

Hi, my ruptured Annie was Oct 6, 2013. I also tried going back to work but I was not able to as I no longer have the stamina to work 8 to 5 five days a week. Since I worked for our local school district I tried part time tutoring, but was not able to do this either. I am very fortunate as I have a loving caring husband who takes very good care of me. I am so sorry you are having such troubles. I will pray for you to find a solution. Maybe you could advertise for a person to share your living quarters and bills. The reason I suggest this is because while I was caring for my elderly mom who was evicted from her assisted living place I advertised for someone to move into the two bedroom apt I found for her and I had a wonderful woman move in and care for my Mom with the help of HOSPICE! She needed a place to live and I needed a caregiver. We managed to work things out and she lived with my Mom until she passed away last year. Just a suggestion.

I am very happy that you are still here with us but sad with what you are going thru. It is so much for you to go thru at this short period. It's been just 6 months and to some, that's way too short to even start working. Concentration is tough and at least for me, after years, I still struggle once a while. What I did a lot was puzzles. Also, I read fun articles and tried my best to answer the questions without going back to the article. It took quite a while since short term memory was no where to be found. I am sure you now trying to understand what happened and the anxiety and fear that accompanies it, to some extent is normal. Because of how deadly aneurysm is, surviving comes with its own battle. Hang in there and take it one step at a time. This site is a great help and people are always willing to help as much as they can. I am sure we will do our best to be here for you as much as possible. Do you have other family members living a bit close by? Any friends you trust to give them spare keys. If friends or family a bit close by, let them know what you are feeling and hopefully, they will offer to check on you as much as possible. I wish you speedily recovery

Hello. I had a similar experience -- over two and a half years ago I had a ruptured aneurysm at age 42. Although I have suffered severe migraines much of my life, like you, this was indescribable -- the worst pain I had ever felt. I was talking with a friend on the phone at the time -- I don't remember much after that, but he somehow got me rushed to the ER, where, after a spinal tap and MRI, they were shocked that I was even alive. When my family showed up (no time to wait to see them -- I was already in surgery when they arrived), following the operation (two platinum coils), they were told there was roughly a 40% chance of me living. In neuro intensive care I was a mess for a week or two -- in pain, fuzzy, unable to remember people's names, or in some cases, even to know who they were. I was trying to reach out to people, and apparently sent nonsensical emails to many.

Like you, I found work difficult (I was not permitted to return to the office for a month after several weeks in intensive care and in a step down between intensive care and more basic care) -- I am a civil rights attorney and, like you, found concentration quite hard. But, with time going by, I became able to do my job full time (though I do work at home two of the five work days a week). Even today I must take extensive notes at meetings or when doing research, and must keep deadlines for all projects posted on the wall in my office. I still forget names fairly often, and sometimes (though not too often) randomly forget basic words (I was trying to say "stretcher" and I said "tray"; was telling a friend I would Uber over to his house, but instead got it crossed with Google and told him I would "Guber" to see him).

I hope this doesn't sound too down. The story is, you are not alone. And that things can get better. For me (as I imagine it may be for you), the good thing is that, over time, and with lots of focus, I am now able to perform well at a complex and sometimes intense job. I also live alone, and, again over time, now manage that well. You are far more recently out of the horrible onset of the rupture -- it is frustrating, but early on company of any friends and family who truly understand and want to help you is key -- as is, most of all, time. Hopefully at this time half a year from now, and then a full year from now, some of the things you lost will return, and you'll have methods of compensating for those things that never come fully back. The hospital where I had my surgery sponsors a monthly meeting of survivors, covering a variety of topics to assist in improvement and access assistance. I hope your hospital can refer you to something like that.

Of course you are scared, but remember that there are others who went through similar circumstances and, though not immediately, eventually recovered much of what they feared they had lost. Best wishes for you as you move forward.

I myself servived a blown anurism on Feb, 10th 2011 , my speech was fair but slurred some , my mind back then worked fine but slower. I am what you call a computer nut now , I play demanding tactical games . But I still mess up when trying to text or write something like this , I always make some sort of a mistake , thank god for spell checker. Always remember this you are alive , and yes I am disabled , but not because of my anurism

I found out in August 2014 I had Stage 4 Lung Cancer , I just past the 8th month mark , that is where 50% of Stage 4 Dies , it looks like I might get lucky and have 2-3 years left . And I feel that I have been very blessed . So continue to fight by using your head for difficult games or even just write a novel , keep that brain busy.

Robert

Six months after my aneurysm I am seeking further help from a Nutritionist to recommend additional mineral / vitamin additives (to supplement self-prescribed ones) and a Neuro-physio for exercises to rejoin my brain to my walking muscles. Neither of these consultations has been suggested by my UK GP!

I ruptured nov 2012. They found four more as they prepaird my family it did not look good. I had an amazing surgeon, and family support. I studder now n then and can’t remember words at times. It gets a little better. But as my doctor told me you have to get to know the new you. Get to know your limitations. I’m tired all the time. I also live by myself. Oh yes n my dog. He knows when I’m not feeling well, it’s strange, but he knows. Take each day as a new adventure because we made it, we r still among the liveing where some did not make it through what we have. I thank god every night. N god bless u as well.

Several people on this site have learned to play musical instruments. This seems to have helped me. Puzzles, computer games, anything that will challenge your brain is beneficial to the cognitive healing process. after my surgery I was off work for three months. During that time I would clean the house, cook dinner, walk around the outside of the house, anything to exercise. I also set goals for my recovery. Some I have been able to meet, some I am still working on. This helped give some direction and purpose to my life. I also kept teaching adult bible studies at church. I struggled with words and expressions. That was twenty months ago. Im doing much better now. I still deal with lack of energy, still stumble on words at times. Things will get better. Oh, for background. I had two clips, one for a ruptured annie. Had a stroke eight days later. Find something to focus on and do it with all your might.

I'm sorry for you rough time. Life is different but you are still here and you will get there.

The day I was going to work, I never came back from that job. I lost my job, my bachelor's degree is gone, my speech/language is 75%, and my normal life is different.

A year and half and now I am coming back. I do have disability and it doesn't pay enough, so, I getting a little job just so I can climb back. The help that I get is from my community. I do have depression but it helps me if I exercise, vitamins, a lot of water, and naps:)

You are the part of this team. You will get there, at one step at a time. And, It looks like you have a dog, and they will help you and love.

NCoh15, goood morning.

My name is Miguel R. and I sufered too the same as you, when I had an aneurysm -almost 3 years ago- and I was in the Hospital for a coiling surgery too. The point: if we are still here, is for one reazon. Once that you leave the Hospital, you starting to see the life in another way. Do not be afraid, as time goes by, you will learn once again to do the things that you use to before, I tell you by my own experience. It is not easy, but not impossible. I don't wish boring you, so if you need more info, do not doubt to let me know and I will tell you more to improve yourself, doing some exercises.

Sincerely

Miguel Rodríguez (from Veracruz, México).

The exhaustion will gradually pass off, if you rest when you need to, and mental clarity will return, but it's slow. Listen to your body, and post anything you want on here, we are a very supportive community.

Hi,

I was treated for unruptured aneurysms through surgery just a little over a year ago. Even though I did not suffer a rupture, recovery certainly still presented difficulties, and challenges. Now, a year later, things are much better. But, I remember when I had difficulty focusing on reading also. Anxiety, depression, questioning at times my decision to treat after the fact, insomnia, fatigue were some of the hindrances to happiness. Thankfully, I had family and friends who helped in the roughest spots, and knowing Jesus as my personal Savior, I knew He would see me through somehow. Improvement doesn't come overnight, but you should gradually notice change. Accepting what happened, and the "new me" was a step forward for me. Over the next few months, you should understand the "new you" better. Give yourself time to heal. For help, comfort of heart, peace of mind, I highly recommend the Holy Bible, King James Version. The book of Psalms is full of inspired words so helpful during low times of our lives. Hope your difficult situation gets resolved quickly. Remember, this group cares, and God certainly does too. He preserved you for a special purpose. It may take a while to see, but take courage.

Hi Robert,

So sorry to hear of your diagnosis. It is great that you have such great outlook. May the luck see you pass 3 years and then some.

Robert Kraft said:

I myself servived a blown anurism on Feb, 10th 2011 , my speech was fair but slurred some , my mind back then worked fine but slower. I am what you call a computer nut now , I play demanding tactical games . But I still mess up when trying to text or write something like this , I always make some sort of a mistake , thank god for spell checker. Always remember this you are alive , and yes I am disabled , but not because of my anurism

I found out in August 2014 I had Stage 4 Lung Cancer , I just past the 8th month mark , that is where 50% of Stage 4 Dies , it looks like I might get lucky and have 2-3 years left . And I feel that I have been very blessed . So continue to fight by using your head for difficult games or even just write a novel , keep that brain busy.

Robert