PED vs. Coiling

Hi Everyone,

Has anyone who has had a PED installed also gone through a coiling procedure? I'm considering coiling for my third aneurysm and was wondering if the recovery time was similar. This will help me with scheduling the procedure. I'm returning to teaching middle school this month and need to feel very well when I go back to work. I'm debating on Christmas break, spring break, or waiting until next summer. My preference would be next summer so I have tons of time to heal. The annie is small, between 4-6 mm, so as long as I don't get new symptoms and it continues to appear stable on upcoming checks, I'm comfortable watching and waiting.

Thanks, Heidi

Hi Heidi,

I do not have coils, the coiling the attempted on me failed due to the wide mouth of my annie. I do have another annie (3mm) which is on watch and wait, so far 1 year and no growth. I don't know if that would be, when the time comes, eligible for the PED or coiling, so I am interested in the responses you get.

Good post!

Linda

xxxxx

My annie had a large opening so I had the coiling and the PED installed. I don't know how to compare the combination to just a PED or just coiling. I did resume driving and most of my routine activities in 10 days. I hope this helps in determining your decision. Let us know your decision.

Hello Heidi, I only have the PED my annie was 14mm with a wide mouth, I have just had an angio 3 months after the PED and the artery looks normal no blood is entering the annie at all. With he PED you can return to work very quickly, I had other issues as well so I havent returned to work at this time.
Lynn

Hey Everyone,

Just wanted to say I had the coiling done in June, 2013 and experienced a faster, easier recovery. I was back to 100% in two weeks. I needed the PED in January, 2012 and am thankful for it, but have to say the coiling was MUCH easier!

Heidi