Optic nerve palsy

I’m wondering if there’s anyone out there, who, after a craniotomy and clipping of an unruptured anuerysm, has been left with a partial eye nerve palsy. In my case, after my surgery, I couldn’t open my eye for close to 6 months. When it finally opened, I had double vision, and my eyelid wouldn’t fully open. Three years on, the double vision is gone, but my eyelid doesn’t fully open, because my nerve palsy didn’t fully resolve itself. Anyone else ??

Here is a strange one Isabel...I was coiled with a leaky brain aneurysm on my basilar tip...and I woke with my right eye closed...took a couple of weeks and then it opened and drooped...2 years later it still droops, but nothing like that first year...mine is actually painful at times with a stabbing pain...I have learned to live with it...and when I go out mascara makes a big difference along with eyeliner...wishing you a good day ~ Colleen

My left eye remains closed every morning for a short while, and has a slight droop to it. I have a slight vision problem but not too bad. I had a PED 18 months ago.

Isabel...I have been so promoting research/ understanding, asking your docs, about the cranial nerves...

beyond the optic nerve...

A lot of us, even us w/the minimally invasive procedure... can go thru a lot of cranial nerve issues...

some stay forever...hearing loss, varying visual damage...e.g. hemianopsia...and, more...

Some of us have been promoting recovery data... so needed... \

Have you checked Facial nerve Palsy, third nerve Palsy...other?

Prayers for your getting more questions to ask your docs...expect you will get far more response...

Pat

Yes, I like you I had dropping eye lid and frozen brow and forehead mine was on left side. Also had the double vision which has been corrected with lens. Three years post surgery I had a brow lift on that side and lifting the brow helped with the saggy lid. Good luck.

Interesting Pat, I have been wondering about some left sided face numbness and half of my lips on the left side. Only thing is, this didn't start until 7 mos after my surgery. They thought I had had a stroke after a heart cath angiogram in April. Never heard of Facial Nerve Palsy.

~ Carol

Carol...

I am confused when you note heart angio in April... When did you have your f/up cerebral angio?

Interesting to imagine a stroke...presumably ischemic (?)... following a heart angio? What diff was your set-up for heart angio compared to a cerebral angio; i.e. blood tests, contrast dye, anti-coagulents, etc?

When I type and do not look up words...and, I may have said Facial Nerve wrongly..,.why I suggest others search online: cranial nerves and/or cranial nerve anatomy... it provides some back ground for those searching for answers...and, what to ask their docs...

Pat

Hello Pat,

I have droopiness after a craniotomy and have been trying to find information about it. Not very much available on the net. I will try your suggestions. Thanks.

Hi,

Right before my 1st clipping in 1998, what brought me into the ER was a third nerve palsy of my left eye (The 3rd optic nerve had literally snapped as the annie grew)....and after my surgery I still had the palsy and double vision, yet for me, mine resolved itself in a matter of about 5 months time... Do you still have the numbness associated with the palsy, such as in your forehead and scar area? I had no feeling at all in those areas for many years after surgery...it wasn't until this year that i've been able to lift my left eyebrow, and its been 15 years come December...I was lucky with the eyelid 'coming back' as quickly as it did. I was talking with someone who was told that surgery to correct the lid might be an option in her particular case, I don't know if that is an option for you (?)

Awe, geez Liam, I thought you were winking at ME !!

(Lol, Peace !)

Hello, Janet, what resolved in 5 months and what took 15 years? I'm at almost 6 weeks (I know, very early) and I have numbness in my forehead, incision area and the top of my head. I can handle these no problem. It's the drooped eyebrow and half closed drooped eyelid that bother me.

Hello !

The double vision (along with my wild eyed appearance) resolved itself in 5 months..it was the numbness to my forehead/head that took 15 years to get back...I know its so frustrating! the numbness however I could live with too, (infact recently something fairly lightweight fell out of our rafters recently, and I took notice that even to this day theres still a bit of numbness at the top of my head!) Peace to you as you get thru it all,

Janet

there are a few pics on your page. Is it the pic with you in the red shirt? You look fine in that one.