New Date

I have a new date set now for November 1 for Clipping surgery. It was a little frustrating when you have a "grand plan" layed out for this. Fortunately, I'm only 3 weeks behind. I have to remember my Doctor had a personal emergency and there are other people going to the hospital with emergencies. I have to remind myself that this surgery is elective.

So my question to everyone here, what did you do while you were waiting and getting ready? What kind of preparations have you made? How did you pack for the hospital?

For those of you that had the Clipping done, how long was your stay in the hospital? My doctor says one night in ICU and one night in a regular room and that's it (and somewhere in there an Angiogram. This seems like such a short time. I'm hoping it works like this for me.

I can't thank the people here enough. The people and the information are so real it is the best medicine that I can have. Having realtime knowledge about this has been my strength to not go crazy and stay calm. Thank you!

God Bless you all.

Hi Ron,

Thanks as always, love the words of wisdom. (And the picture is great) After all my initial maniacal (sp?) research on the subject I try to stay away from the "scary" places. I thrive on the positive thoughts and know they will get me through. I have an amazing support circle and they are also my strength. There are going to be 10 of them at the hospital for me and another dozen waiting for texts and emails. It is a very humbling experience to realize the depth that people care and love you. I feel like I have to be strong for them. I also have a Grandson that has a Chiari Malformation and is possibly facing a much more serious surgery than I am. I feel the need to be tough and make sure that everything goes well with me so he wont be afraid if it comes to that for him.

Thank you again!

P.S. The profile picture is in Cabo out by the Arch. Part of the plan was to make sure we got back down there before my surgery. Can't wait to go again!

Hi Allison,

Thank you for your response. I have been cleaning and preping the house for weeks now. I have been working on the bills also, you are always worried that there might be something forgotten. I have a few extra weeks to work on that one. The other thing I started doing was cooking! I read about a lot of people having no appetite or being too sore to eat afterwords. So I have been busy making soups and stews and freezing them for easy reheating. My husband is a very good caretaker but I want to make it easy for him too. I also read that a lot of people have headaches in the first few weeks. I looked for small ice packs but couldn't find anything that looked like it would be right. Then I had an idea and bought a pack of plain washcloths, soaked them in water with a little Rosemary/Mint oil, wrung them out, rolled them up and froze them in a baggy. They are awesome and last about a half hour while they defrost, very refreshing and great for the headaches. Just a thought.

Best Wishes to you on your procedure and try to let us know how it goes.

God Bless

Lori, I will have you in my prayers. I am scheduled for clipping on nov 12,2012 for a left ICA bifurcation aneurysm. My dr told me 1 night in ICU and 5-6 nights in hosp. He will make an 6inch incision from my left ear to the top of my head in the hair line. and then place stapels.

The things I have been doing is just cleaning the house, groceries, laundry, wash my bed..Payed all my bills for November. I feel like I am getting ready to bring a new baby home... I am getting real anxious waiting. I have a headache everyday.. I think I will take my cell phone and charger, remove my jewelry, wash my hair the night before. and pray that the dr has a steady hand. I will pack something comfortable to wear home.

Kathy

Did anyone do an advance directive? Just in case ? some serious decisions had to be made regarding life or death?

I live in Oregon now, but I used to live in Santa Cruz Ca.

Hi Kathryn,

Thank you. I did all those things, plus I have about 10 people going to be waiting for me and I packed a bag of "goodies" for them (snacks, waters, apples etc). Oh and I did a lot of cooking and freezing.

I have done an advanced directive and it was so hard to do that it took me about 6 months to complete it. When all was said and done with mine it really boiled down to the family members listed on it. We had many extensive conversations about my wishes. I didn't have too many things to put on it because the bottom line is I don't want them to pull the plug unless there is no chance of meaningful recovery. We have been through that process with two family members already and we all did it together. I trust them with my life and to do the right thing.

Good luck with your surgery, I will try to post my experience if I am able before you have yours.

Just checking in on you! Hope things went ok.

Valerie