Clipping next week

I'm having my 7mm cerebral aneurysm clipped in 8 days (Sept 20th) at Methodist in Memphis.My MD says the surgeon is the best in the midsouth.I know everything will probably be okay.I'm a nurse but i'm still terrified and cry everyday.I just want this over with.

Hi JoAnna!

Hang in there! I was so scared before my procedure, and frankly still have my ups and downs, but have faith -- all will be fine. Don't be afraid to ask any questions, everyone here is so incredibly supportive and helpful. Welcome to BAF... and don't be afraid to cry, it's a great emotional release.

Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers--

Tara

Thanks Tara,it's like I can't think about anything or even concentrate until surgery is over.Appreciate all the prayers I can get!!!

Hi JoAnna,

I encourage you to face your fears, cry, pray, talk and write. Expect the best!

May God bless you with a successful surgery and a quick and complete recovery

Take care.

Carole.

Hi JoAnna! fear and tears are certainly warranted but this will soon pass- focus on the future & think positive!-i'm glad you wrote in so now we can unite with you with support & prayers-as Tara said hang in there just a few more yards to the summit where it will be all downhill easy walking thru recovery! One lady said to invision your familys faces as your fears escalate as your getting prepped-take your thoughts elsewhere-go to your happy place-this will be a small battle but you can do it! you can also write in the group "upcoming procedures" by clicking on groups on the top right side, but do know you are not alone. Praying now for calmness and strength thru these next few days! Please keep us posted we really do care~~~remember you have the best surgeon in the mid south! Prayer also helped me immensly to combat the fear! take good care of yourself before & after surgery!

Hi jo think positive you will get through this and you will be fine I had mine clipped 4 weeks ago and I was stressed out too which is only normal for anyone after u have the op u will look back and wonder why u worried so much 100s of people get this op done all the time And once the clips on your right forever I no its hard not to worry think about all the good things in your life and things u love doing plan a trip or weekend away after operation take care you can easily do it

Hi JoAnna!

I felt the exact same way! You will be fine and it will be a weight off your shoulders to get it done and then you can spend your energy on healing.

I will be thinking of you on the 20th and sending you good thoughts and prayers until then!

Kind regards,
Kim

Hey welcome you have come to the right spot for support. I wish this had been around 10 yrs. ago when I had may aneruysm clipped. I felt so alone because there was no one to talk to who had been through the surgery. You will do great. Just remember to take it very slow with recovery. Rest, Rest, and Rest some more. Listen to your brain it will tell you when it is getting tired. They will have you up and about before you know it. The first few days are rough, but nothing that you can't handle. Know that we are all here praying and supporting you all the way. Keep us posted or get a family member to. I too like everyone was so nervous before surgery. Just know the surgery is the easy part. Recovery is harder, but things get so much better with time.

Hi there, I totally understnad your feelings I am also having a clipping surgery on the 10th next month. In the meantime I try to listen to Belleruth Naparstek's successful surgery guided imaginary MP3. It really helps for me that I feel more comfortable or I should say somehow I don't feel anything towards this surgery now I am more focused on the recovery part how I will handle things. Last January I had coilling for a basilar artery aneurysm and now an open surgery. I am there with you with all my well wishes.

Hi Joanna-Good luck to you and I will be thinking about you and praying for you on the 20th. I am new to this site and I also have a 7mm cerebral aneurysm. Try to keep positive!! I think being in the medical field goes against us sometimes when something like this happens because we know too much about it and look into it too much. I am also a nurse and have worried myself sick. You take care of you and put everything in God's hands. Hugs to you... Chassity

Hello Joanna don't be afraid, you have a great Doctor, with experience. We all get scared it's normal but believe me you will be fine. It's great that you have an unruptured annie so chances are everything will be great, you will be healed in no time.

God Bless

Nikki xx

Thank you Chassity,I noticed you are going to St. Louis.I'm wondering if I should seek 2nd opinion because my MD said Neurosurgeon is best in midsouth but I think it's b/c he has done a lot of coilings.

At first he was going to coil but changed his mind. I have a wide necked 7-mm annie on the right internal carotid terminus that has grown 3mm in 3 months,I also have a 1.75 wide necked annie on the supraclinoid which he never told me about.I only discovered this when I requested everything be faxed to clinic where I work.

Hi JoAnna,

I know it must be frightening waiting for your pending surgery. Just think once it is done you can get on with your life. I will be thinking of you on Thursday. I have to go and see a vascular neuro surgeon on Firday myself. I have a bulge that has appeared around the repair site. I have to see if clipping is an option. Hopefully it is then I can just get on with things. You are not alone.

Take care

Lorraine

:O)

You continue to be in my thoughts Joanna...you know by the 20th...you will be so ready to have this "show on the road"...the waiting is the worse...~ Colleen

I had already checked out this site.My surgeon nor hospital were on the list.Should I just go on Thursday or find a better qualified MD and or Hospital?

JoAnna , just ask him how many of these surgeries he has done. He should not have a problem telling you that. I know my surgeon at Emory told me how many clipping surgeries he had done. Once you know that it will ease your mind. If you don't feel comfortable by all means get another opinion. Also ask your primary physician that may ease your mind also. I know it is a scary thing to think about someone operating on your brain, but most of these neurosurgeons are so gifted at what they do. Just remember they do this all the time. I'm sure everything will go smooth. Remember recovery is the toughest part, not the surgery.

Oh, JoAnna....I know it must be so terrifying. But you are so much braver and stronger than you are feeling right now; your courage has brought you to this point, and after, you will feel so relieved and happy you went through with this. You can do this, and it sounds like you have wonderful skill behind you in that fantastic surgeon.

And you've found a great support team on this site. We're all behind you....please keep us posted. Sending you prayers for courage and peace. I had not found this site until after my coiling, but I truly believe I felt the prayers of friends and family as I was wheeled into the ER. Yes, I was frightened, but I had such an overwhelming feeling of peace going in, and I pray the same for you.

Cindy

Hi JoAnna,

It's hard to know whether to change or not based on the ratings.

I was my neurosurgeon's 83rd patient when he performed my clippings. My mother wanted a more experience surgery but circumstances didn't permit us to have her choice. Perhaps it was God's will for me. My clippings were successful and my recovery was miraculous. Every doctor, regardless of specialty, who has seen me in the past 43 years has marveled at the care that I received and the skill and knowledge of this young doctor. He was more than a doctor, he became a family friend and someone who I know genuinely cared for me and my long-term health.

So, I will ask you if you have confidence in the doctor who is scheduled to do your surgery. Have you heard any personal stories about him that would cause you to shy away from him?

May God guide you to make the right choice and provide you with a competent and caring care team.

Take care.

Carole

Sending prayers and support!

Karen

Thanks Carole your posts help me keep focused on my faith and just talking with you guys is a huge help,too.