Clipping Date scheduled for November 8th

Hi all,

I had an appointment at Jefferson Hospital in Philadelphia last Friday and the surgeon convinced me to get it clipped very soon since I have a daughter dome on top of it. It's kind of a relief that things are getting set in motion but I am very anxious just the same. It has to be clipped since it's on the bifurcation area of the left middle cerebral artery. Has anyone else had one there? I'm hoping for a speedy recovery. Trying to stay positive but I do have a lot of faith and support of friends and family. I'm very confidant with my neurosurgeon, Dr. Tjoumakaris, she's done a lot of these and seems very confidant. Can anyone let me know what your experience was with clipping and what to expect. Thanks in advance for your advice.

Hi Bonnie,

I haven't had a clipping done, but I was a patient at Jefferson Hospital for Neuroscience and was completely at ease with the Neuro staff there, even the ICU and the step down ICU nurses were the best! My surgery was with Dr. Pascal Jabbour and I felt I had the best experience I could have asked for, considering the reason for the surgery.

That being said, I do have an older sister who had an annie clipped in the anterior communicating artery down at John Hopkins in Maryland. She, like most who have had a clipping, had her up and down days. She luckily survived and recovered quickly, considering where her annie was located.

I do hope that you find the answers you are looking for. The best advice I can give you is rest, rest and rest! Each of us heal differently, but believe me that your brain will tell you when it has had enough. Just listen to it! I suggest you read A Letter From Your Brain. It will help you and your caretakers prepare for an understand a little of the journey you are about to undertake. I am 16 months post surgery and I still refer to it often!

Best wishes to you for a successful surgery and I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

Linda

I have no idea where my annies were located--they were found while treating my AVM & the annies seemed almost minor at the time.

My clipping was in July 2011. They shaved a little more hair than we thought, and the incision was bigger than expected, BUT they went in expecting one aneurysm and found two of them.

I french braided my hair, which definitely helped keep it out of the way and from becoming a tangled mess during my hospital stay. I didn't expect to wake up with my right eye swollen shut. My husband said I looked like I'd gone a few rounds with Mike Tyson. I could, however, still open my left eye--until day three, when it was swollen shut for most of the day, too. I was very sensitive to sound--I shushed my mother for talking too loud. Apparently, I also told my husband he was breathing too loud as he slept on the couch behind me.

My surgery was on a Wednesday. I was moved from ICU to a regular room sometime on Thursday night--like the middle of the night--maybe 1 a.m.?

PT came & got me up & walking both while I was in ICU and in the regular room. They had me use a walker and also walked right with me to make sure I didn't fall.

Don't believe the doctor if he tells you that putting a staple in your head (after removing the drain) will feel like a mosquito bite. It will feel like someone taking a staple gun to your head.

The hospital is a 45 minute drive from my home. The ride home 3 days after surgery completely exhausted me.

I slept a LOT over the next couple of weeks. I did go to the biggest dog show in the state 2 weeks after surgery--and used an electric wheel chair. I completely exhausted myself the first day, stayed home & slept the second day, then made it through the remaining 3 days.

My mother stayed with me & my husband for the first 2 weeks after surgery, and I was very glad she had a handicap parking tag on my first trip to the grocery store. I took it slowly, but made it.

My surgery was right after July 4th weekend, and I was back at work when school resumed that August. I was still forgetful (lots of post-it notes & emails to myself) and still tired easily, but I was still teaching my classes & completing all of my SpEd paperwork on time.

Hi Linda,

Thanks for taking time out to respond to me, I really appreciate it. I know you have to rest a lot and I hope I am able to forget about taking care of everything I'm used to taking care of and doing. My husband is going to try and get a leave of absence from work to take care of me maybe the first two weeks. My daughter lives close and my parents as well and I know I can rely on them. I'm planning on stocking up on necessities for a couple of weeks and maybe pre-cooking some meals although my husband is a very good cook as well as my daughter. I'll have to force myself to take it easy because I definitely do not want to make progress and then go backwards because I didn't listen to my body.

I've heard that Jefferson has a wonderful staff and I'm very confidant that I chose the right surgeon and hospital. Thanks for the prayers, it's very comforting to know that everyone on this site is so thoughtful and caring. I thank God I've found this site, everything is falling into place the way it should.

Thanks again Linda, I really appreciate your thoughtfulness, take care.

Bonnie

Thanks A. for responding to my post, I really appreciate it. Your recovery is totally amazing, I can't believe you went anywhere after 2 weeks. I told my husband I'm staying home and resting on Thanksgiving. I know I wouldn't be able to handle going to his brother and sister-in-law's house with 30 some people. His family is very loud and boisterous, which is sometimes hard to take without any issues.

My hair is on the short side but all one length. I have bangs and I figure I can do some kind of comb over from the right to the left. I'm hoping to keep most of my bangs, they're such a part of me. I'm going to get some head scarves as well to hide the scar and hair loss.

Did your husband stay with you overnight after you were in a regular room? My husband would like to do that. I told him it wasn't necessary, I guess they want to make sure we're okay. My husband's been such a trooper through all this and wants to support me through everything. I'm so lucky, some men wouldn't understand. My daughter will help me out as much as possible. She's a Special Ed teacher as well. Too bad this couldn't wait until the summer when she's home but it is what it is.

I appreciate you sharing your experience with me, it's very helpful. Take care,

Bonnie

I was coiled Bonnie...but you have my prayers...I am told that Jefferson Hospital is very confident and efficient in Neurosurgery....my mom lives close to Philadelphia and often I am sorry I didn't go there for my surgery...

God Bless to you...~ Colleen

Thanks so much Colleen for your kind words. I have a very good feeling that I'm going to Jefferson. My neurosurgeon in the Lehigh Vally in my view did not have enough experience or expertise in this surgery. He said a couple of things that really sent the red flags up. I never felt comfortable with him. His expertise is spine surgery, it didn't make sense to stick with him. I hope you are feeling well, I know you've had a number of issues through your journey. I will keep you in my prayers as well. Thanks again and take care,

Bonnie

Best of luck.God bless

Bonnie,

My husband & his mom took turns staying overnight at the hospital with me. (My mom wasn't going to her doctor's appts--she has Lupus, Fibro, & RA) & stressed herself out so much that she ended up in the e.r. while I was still in ICU.) My brother & his wife had driven down for the surgery, so they took care of her that night, then my in-law's took her to my house to rest. With my husband, my mother-in-law, my father-in-law, and one of my brothers there, there was someone with my 24 hours a day until I was released. I'm not an auditory learner to begin with--I need to read things--and I couldn't see, so it was good to have someone with me when the doctors came through, and to have someone help me with things like calling the nurse for pain meds, or to help me to the restroom once they let me out of bed. I took my laptop and I couldn't see well enough to use it, but it helped keep everyone else from being bored out of their minds. :)

One of my coworkers had lost her hair due to chemo a couple of months before my AVM diagnosis. She had some nice scarves & caps from headcovers.com. I bought a scarf & a turban/cap from them & they were my favorites for after surgery. I really didn't want my bald section & my scar exposed to the Gulf Coast Texas sun over the summer. I also had some inexpensive scarves from WalMart that I wore. I wore my scarves & cap for the 6-8 weeks of the school year. People who didn't know what was going on just thought it was the crazy English teacher & her bohemian sense of fashion. :)

Take some lip balm with you to the hospital--the goopy kind. My lips were so dry & cracked after surgery.

My at-home post surgery life saver was dark chocolate peanut butter cups. Reese's makes some and Paul Newman's does, too. I find the Paul Newman ones in the organic section at Kroger's. My Vicodin bottle said to take it with food. If I wasn't keeping up & taking it every few hours, the pain would hit suddenly & I'd need some immediately & didn't want to wait too cook. I'd eat a peanut butter cup--hey, peanut butter has protein, right?

Wishing you a very successful procedure--and feel free to ask about anything.

angie

Thanks Sandy, I appreciate your kindness and thoughtfulness.

Angie,

Thanks so much for the valuable tips and information. My husband would like to stay with me as well as soon as he's able. I know the first day will be spent in ICU so I told him to go home that first night. I have to admit any time I've been in the hospital I felt bad about asking the nurses for anything, I know they're so busy. My husband is a take charge kind of guy so I know he'll be looking out for me.

I don't think I'll be eating too many peanut butter cups. I've lost 13 pounds since June by going to Weight Watchers. I was a big chocoholic and now I don't even miss it. I've switched to fruit and that really does the trick. My daughter is getting married in July and I would like to lose another 15 lbs. or so. I am a big fan of peanut butter. I found a powdered kind at the grocery store that you mix with water and it's pretty good. It has 45 calories in 2 tablespoons. It's called PB2, I like to mix it with marshmallow creme, very good.

Angie, nice chatting with you and thanks again for all the tips.

Bonnie

Much luck to u bonnie! Jefferson is a great place esp for what your having done. keeping u in my prayers. donna

Good luck Bonnie. Keep a positive mind and you will be fine. The hardest part is waiting for that day to come. You will be in the best of hands at Jefferson. Take care. Randy

Thanks Donna, I really appreciate everyone's prayers. This site is so wonderful, a wealth of information.

Thanks Randy, I'm staying very busy. I went Christmas shopping for my grandkids today so at least they have presents from me. I think everyone else will get a gift card especially if my husband has to shop. I'm so glad I researched Jefferson, my doctor is so wonderful. I have a very positive attitude most of the time. I do have my moments but try to push them out of my head ASAP. We're only human after all. How long were you in the hospital? I have my pre-admission testing on Monday afternoon, hope I can make it down there and the storm isn't too fierce. You take care as well and hope you are feeling well.

Bonnie

Bonnie.

I was operated on a Wednesday morning, put in ICU till Thursday morning, released Friday at 10am. Clipped right side MCA. 8mm annie. My wife was wonderful thru the whole process. Just remember you will not have much pain afterward but a sore jaw when you eat. This will go away in a couple days. I lost so much sleep before worrying about it but after it was done was so relieved. Operation took 6 hours. My wife and daughters took a walk to the Gallery because they were told them not to sit and wait. They called her every one to two hours and gave her updates that were very positive. Take care. Randy

Wow, i'm sure it feels good in one way just to know when all this will happen but nerve racking for the same reasons!! I used to work at jeff and admire the place much but ended up at hup when I had my sah,so my care has been at hup. They also have been great. Looking forwarded to hearing how great you'll be doing. take care. donna

Congratulations Bonnie, you have finally got a date to be clipped. Just remember it's the best thing to do with the daughter dome. Remember I had a daughter dome and the annie is at higher risk than a normal unruptured annie, so it's best to get the surgery. We all recover differently, just take one day at a time, you'll be fine.

God Bless

Congratulations Bonnie, i'm glad you have a date for your surgery. I had a daughter dome as you know. Best to have the surgery, having a daughter dome is at higher risk of rupture than a normal unruptured annie.

You'll be fine, take one day at a time, we all recover differently. I'll be praying for you

Nikki x

Hi Bonnie, My aneurysm was clipped May 16 this year. So I am just past my 5 month of healing. It took awhile for me to find the right neurosurgeon to perform my surgery. So I do understand the relief to finally have a date. Mine was the same location, except it was right MCA and it was box shaped with bubbles on one wall which was irregularly shaped. Like you mine had a higher risk for rupture.
I was very nervous before my surgery and wish now, I had discussed it in more detail with my doctor. He probably could have helped me with something for my anxiety. The surgery itself was nowhere near as bad as what I had anticipated. They make sure you have plenty of medication to address any pain. Like many have said, you will probably have jaw pain on the side that was clipped; especially when you open your mouth or chew. I had headaches, but they were well managed. Sometimes you have back pain and leg pain, because of the position you were in during surgery and from being in a prone position in bed.
Things to remember…bring a soft headcover or scarf, a pair of slippers with a good tread, many of us bring a iPad or smart phone (when you feel a little better you can stay in touch or catch up with Facebook and BAF friends). Bring a shower cap for when they let you take your first shower. I brought my medications, because some of mine are “orphan” drugs and not easily available in the US.
Hope this helps you,
Mary