Need to talk

I had an aneurysm rupture a few years ago. It happened right after my sister had killed herself and I Was in the hospital a couple of months. Since then I have had chronic yeast infections because of the steroids lowering my immune system and I have had bad headaches. My headaches tend to get worse during bad weather or a change in weather. Sometimes I get dizzy and have pain where my coil and clip were put in. I get terrified of it happening again even though the doctor said I was fine. I live in fear and want to know that other people have gone through what I have and have the same fears or have been able to overcome them. Please let me Knorr if anyone else has experienced these medico problems and feelings.

hi Rachel-hope you are feeling better, i think we all have felt the fear of what-ifs that creep back into our lives. i view fear as an enemy & rely on prayer when it appears-once i get thru these rough times i bounce back. Fear & depression seem to trigger each other,i'm glad your dr said you were fine-let us dwell on that as my pcp doc also said "you're doing good"-it was like music to my ears. Hot weather seems to magnify my headaches as does the barometric weather changes ,my headaches are worse lately which scares me & then opens the door to sadness and insomnia,lets focus on the positives-we survived, the headaches will get better. Hang in there- you have been thru a lot . Thank you for sharing this is how we know we care and how we become family, I'm praying now for you, your family and the others, God give us hope, strength & fortitude to carry on. so sorry to hear the loss of your sister-i also lost mine to brain cancer in'05

Thank you ron. It helps to hear from others that know what it means to feel this. I use prayer often to ease my fears.

Hi Rachel,

This may help! we have the worst weather here in the UK, rains every day this year. I have been eating strawberries and raspberries every day they are anti inflammatory. I have also cut out sugar. This has helped alot with my head pains. Give it a try. I also agree with Ron. Worry is the worst thing you can do. I creatively visualize when I cannot sleep. I imagine myself walking on a beautiful white sanded beech with a torquoise sea and palm trees on a tiny island. This helps, me try it!

Wow Jennifer! I didn’t know those fruits were anti inflammatory. I love raspberries and will get some tomorrow. I daydream constantly and visualize what I want. This is a great thing to do. Tonight I will visualize buying my raspberries. Lol. Thank you.

Hi Rachel ann,

Read the messages on post traumatic stress. This will help. You have been through a rough ride dealing with all kinds of feelings and emotions not to mention the physical trauma. One year, for the loss of a loved one is no time at all especially under such sad circumstances. You have alot to deal with so I am not surprised that you are afraid. But dont hang on to that. Each day will get better as you start to feel better. Also try eating live yogert. This may help with the yeast infections.

Hi Rachel...

A good thing for Yeast infections is probiotics and yogurt...are you still on Steroids?

I think we all experience the fears and anxiety...but with time we need to move on a bit and start living life...

It isn't easy at first...but by putting things in a proper perspective we learn that "living in fear" helps nothing...infact it only makes things worse...perhaps if you try some "talk therapy, meditation, walking, writing now the good things in life, etc.," ...

Keep it here for ideas and suggestions...and know I gotcha in my thoughts ~ Colleen

Changes in barometric pressure is one of my migraine triggers, too. Some of my other triggers are not getting enough sleep, work stress, and not eating on a fairly regular schedule. These last 3 tend to be related & compound on each other.

I haven't had a rupture, but I still have an active AVM in addition to my 2 clipped aneurysms. At this point in time, surgery on the AVM would likely cause visual & motor deficits, so we are shrinking it via Gamma Knife radiation, which takes a couple of years.

Things that have helped me: focusing on the positives & what I CAN do & what I do have; taking Nortriptylene (an antidepressant used as a migraine preventative--it helps my outlook on life & helps prevent the headaches); following the neurologists' orders for "good sleep hygiene" (turning off the computer & t.v. an hour before bed to help my mind shut down to prepare for sleep--reading books & listening to music are ok.).

Something I havent' been doing regularly is attending dance class. I know that once I get back into classes that will help, too.

What has had me down lately is my hair. Silly, I know, but I've always been known for my thick, long hair. Last year, when I was diagnosed with the AVM (didn't even know about the aneurysms yet), I started mentally preparing myself for having my waist length hair shaved off. Then, I was told I wouldn't lose any of it. I had my first GK radiation treatment, which is when they found the aneurysms. They said they'd only shave a small section during the clipping. They shaved exactly what they said they would. Then some of my hair started falling out. I ended up losing about a patch about the size of a baseball. I went & had it cut short so that I could donate the remainder of it to Locks of Love. I had my 2nd GK & nothing happened with my hair. I had my 3rd GK about 5 weeks ago, and the hair started falling out again, and I have a couple of bald spots. The hair cut I have helps disguise the spots, but I still know they are there. I just have to keep reminding myself that hair does grow back and that mine does grow quickly. And I'm digging out my cute hats & scarves that I used to cover the crani incision last summer.

Hi Rachel,

I’m sorry that the headaches are causing you such pain and fear. Tory Klementsen also wrote recently about her headaches that are aggravated by weather changes.

I also have nerve pains that are also aggravated by weather changes. This past week has been particularly tough because of the severe thunderstorms we have been having daily in Houston. During the storms this week, the pressure changes have affected my hesd so, of course, I start wondering if this is something serious. Each time I’ve faced that possibility, the pressure subsides. :slight_smile: Plus, our storms are pretty fast moving so I don’t have to suffer too long. I also get almost immediate relief from nerve pain from, two Hershey’s Milk Chocolate Nuggets. While it may be contrary to conventional wisdom, it has been consistently beneficial to me so, we keep them on hand. You may find them to be helpful, too.

I pray that you will feel better soon. May God’s peace be with you.
Take care.

Carole

Collins,

That isn't silly at all. I'm so sorry that you are going through that. When I had my aneurysm, they shave half of my head and left the other half. They cut through the middle of my head all the way down to my neck, so my neck muscles were all messed up. I looked so lop sided with no hair on one side and this swollen neck on one side. I drew a self portrait of myself, I'm not that good at drawing, and I stared at what I thought I looked like and what I actually looked like. I realized that it wasn't as hideous and deformed as I was making it out to be. Now I look back at that self portrait and laugh because of how ugly I thought I was. I don't know if this will help you, but I suggest drawing or describing what you think you look like right now or how you feel visually. Even if you aren't at your most stunning, you are still beautiful I'm sure.

I'm in Houston too. This weather is why I think I am so down. I don't want to mislead anyone...my surgery was six years ago. I have done everything there is to do to make myself feel back to normal in those years, but this is the first time I have tried talking to other people that have been through a similar situation. This helps much more than most other things. I feel foolish sometimes after all this time, still scared.

Hi Rachel ann,

I think this bad weather is getting us all down. Here in the UK our summer, its rained every day for several months now. I need the sun to shine to do my half hour walking. You must never feel foolish about sharing your feelings. This is what we are all here to do. Help and support one another.