How has a brain aneurysm changed your life positively?

I'd love to start a discussion on positive changes resulting from a brain aneurysm. I suffered a ruptured brain aneurysm in July 2000, had coiling and a bypass at MGH, and have since realized that I have another small one they are watching.

Prior to my rupture, I was an executive at a publishing company working tons of hours and thinking money was the driving force in life. Since then, priorities have shifted, no longer am I able to maintain that job, and have had to navigate my way through life with fatigue, pain, and anxiety.

HOWEVER...there's always a positive side to everything.

I was forced to stop and reevaluate my life.

I gained a new respect for my body, its capabilities and how I choose to live.

I took up painting, which come to find out, I'm really good at.

I am able to spend every day with my son and husband hoping for yet another day.

How has your aneurysm changed or impacted you in a positive way. I think it's easy to go doom and gloom with such a scary event, but I like to remember that I lived and I continue to live.

Would love to hear from others,

Heather

I can tell you how my daughters brain aneurysm and surgery has made us have a love for life. I think once youve come through such an experience it gives you a love for everyday.It has brought our family closer together.

I was able to help a coworker this past week who called me on the phone scared because her daughter in law was getting ready to undergo a crainiotomy. My daughter and I are looking into starting a B.A. support group at our hospital. If it helps just one person its worth it.

In 1985 I lost a Sis In Law from complications she suffered from a ruptured brain aneurysm 5 yrs earlier. She was just 27 yrs old when she passed away, The age of my daughter when she suffered hers.

My daughter has taken it upon herself to alert as many as possible about signs and symptoms of brain aneurysms.

This is a good topic. One huge positive change for me is that I quit smoking.

I also forgot to mention my daughter had to stop smoking.That was a plus too

Hi Teresa,
Please feel free to give me a call or email me if you would like some help with starting a support group or would like awareness information for your daughter to distribute in your community. I’m at 781-■■■■■■■■.

Teresa Jones said:

I can tell you how my daughters brain aneurysm and surgery has made us have a love for life. I think once youve come through such an experience it gives you a love for everyday.It has brought our family closer together.

I was able to help a coworker this past week who called me on the phone scared because her daughter in law was getting ready to undergo a crainiotomy. My daughter and I are looking into starting a B.A. support group at our hospital. If it helps just one person its worth it.

In 1985 I lost a Sis In Law from complications she suffered from a ruptured brain aneurysm 5 yrs earlier. She was just 27 yrs old when she passed away, The age of my daughter when she suffered hers.

My daughter has taken it upon herself to alert as many as possible about signs and symptoms of brain aneurysms.

Hi
Yes, I would like some info or help in getting this started. I will contact you today possibly after work.

HI Heather, I thought it was the end of my world…found out there were so many others out there…I rehabbed and went back to school. earned a scholarship to travel abroad to CHINA! God is Good…

Found out there were so many others out there… I rehabbed and went back to school. earned a scholarship to travel abroad to china. Im so blessed.

jon cyr said:





HI Heather, I thought it was the end of my world…found out ther…

What a great topic!! If I’ve said it once I’ve said it a thousand times my aneurysm helped put my feet back on the ground…and definitely my priorities back in order! I’ve just celebrated my two year anniversary and if I must say so myself I AM a better person because of my aneurysm. Of course, my surgeries and recovery wasn’t all a bed of roses, but I wouldn’t choose another path if given a choice. I take time to appreciate the important things in life now. I appreciate my family time, try to help other’s more than I did before, and I am making aneurysm awareness one my passions. Thanks for starting this topic. I’ve started a support group before and am in the process of starting one in St. Louis and Scott AFB , IL. area and would love to answer any questions for anybody.

Mayra

Mayra…I live close to you. Did Dr Abdulrauf do your surgery at SLU? He did my daughters and he is such a fantastic warm hearted man. He has a wonderful bedside manner and alot of compassion for the families.

Hi Teresa,
No, I had my surgery done in San Antonio. I’m relatively new to the area - I’ve been here about 7 months. My husband is active duty AF. I’m in the process of starting a BAF support group in St. Louis, MO and in the Belleville/Ofallon, IL area - maybe we can talk about ideas!!! :slight_smile:
Mayra

My daughter and I are going to start one in the So IL region. I dont know of any down here.

There is nothing for support here in Greenville NC I would love to research it further. I am sure many people that are going thru this as we all have had questions (not even medically) but just needed someone to talk to that can shed light ( a positive light ) on things. Its hard going thru surgery and angiograms and everyone saying you’ll be fine yet they have no idea how you feel or what mentally you are trying to rap your arms around. Any advice on where to start a BAF ~(maybe this is my calling) the path to help others??
PS I went thru a craniotomy Sept 24th 09 to clip an aneurysm and will eventually need brain bypass surgery of the left middle cerebral artery. How do you from being so active everyday to being stopped dead in your tracks ?

Hi Nikki,
So glad you have found our support site. Hope you find it helpful

I would be happy to speakwith you further about starting a support group in your area. You can email me at ■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■ or call me at 781-■■■■■■■■

Nikki Batts said:

There is nothing for support here in Greenville NC I would love to research it further. I am sure many people that are going thru this as we all have had questions (not even medically) but just needed someone to talk to that can shed light ( a positive light ) on things. Its hard going thru surgery and angiograms and everyone saying you’ll be fine yet they have no idea how you feel or what mentally you are trying to rap your arms around. Any advice on where to start a BAF ~(maybe this is my calling) the path to help others??
PS I went thru a craniotomy Sept 24th 09 to clip an aneurysm and will eventually need brain bypass surgery of the left middle cerebral artery. How do you from being so active everyday to being stopped dead in your tracks ?

I live in Springfield, Illinois and would love to be involved in a support group. I am a caregiver - my husband suffered a brain aneurysm on November 15th. It has been hard to find support for caregivers. I agree with you that priorities change - what was so important befroe just isn’t anymore. I woudl love to help start a group - it is something so needed here!!!

Mayra Kent said:

What a great topic!! If I’ve said it once I’ve said it a thousand times my aneurysm helped put my feet back on the ground…and definitely my priorities back in order! I’ve just celebrated my two year anniversary and if I must say so myself I AM a better person because of my aneurysm. Of course, my surgeries and recovery wasn’t all a bed of roses, but I wouldn’t choose another path if given a choice. I take time to appreciate the important things in life now. I appreciate my family time, try to help other’s more than I did before, and I am making aneurysm awareness one my passions. Thanks for starting this topic. I’ve started a support group before and am in the process of starting one in St. Louis and Scott AFB , IL. area and would love to answer any questions for anybody.

Mayra

Barbara Weatherford said:

I live in Springfield, Illinois and would love to be involved in a support group. I am a caregiver - my husband suffered a brain aneurysm on November 15th. It has been hard to find support for caregivers. I agree with you that priorities change - what was so important befroe just isn’t anymore. I woudl love to help start a group - it is something so needed and the ST Louis area is not far for me. Please let me know what I can do to help! BR>
Mayra Kent said:
What a great topic!! If I've said it once I've said it a thousand times my aneurysm helped put my feet back on the ground...and definitely my priorities back in order! I’ve just celebrated my two year anniversary and if I must say so myself I AM a better person because of my aneurysm. Of course, my surgeries and recovery wasn’t all a bed of roses, but I wouldn’t choose another path if given a choice. I take time to appreciate the important things in life now. I appreciate my family time, try to help other’s more than I did before, and I am making aneurysm awareness one my passions. Thanks for starting this topic. I’ve started a support group before and am in the process of starting one in St. Louis and Scott AFB , IL. area and would love to answer any questions for anybody.

Mayra

Barbara
My son lives in Peoria and I pass through springfield monthly. In fact, Ill be in town on Easter weekend staying downtown springfield at a hotel where I will be chaperoneing a Youth Convention for church.

Barbara Weatherford said:

I live in Springfield, Illinois and would love to be involved in a support group. I am a caregiver - my husband suffered a brain aneurysm on November 15th. It has been hard to find support for caregivers. I agree with you that priorities change - what was so important befroe just isn’t anymore. I woudl love to help start a group - it is something so needed here!!!

Mayra Kent said:

Hi Heather
How long did it take for you to get to this appreciation? I know in my heart no one can survive a brain aneurysm and not have it impact in a positive way. But I am not there yet and I so want to be!
I think I’m more scared which doesn’t allow enough thoughts of being thankful. I don’t want to be doom and gloom.

I got to meet all these wonderful people on this site. People I never would have met.

there is nothing positive unless you get to see how mean some people can be . you also get to see how useless your life has been . sure my family is great . not many wives would give you a shower and wait on you like mine does . It did make me quit smoking well the time in hospital did that. by the time i got home the need was no longer there.so i guess there are a couple of positive things.