How has a brain aneurysm changed your life positively?

Hi Laura,
I think I always knew that I would survive my rupture even when I had my second surgery which was a very complex procedure that could have resulted in disability. I knew in my heart that I would live. I’m not a religious person at all, but when I had the rupture, I remember seeing my grandmother and she was waving to me from this staircase and right at that moment all the pain went away. Don’t get me wrong, I have days when it’s difficult. I’ve had a severe headache for the past three days and this is when I remember that I actually have an illness that impedes some of my daily living. I try to remember there are always people worse than me, it’s okay to be scared and that if I need to talk about it, there are people to talk to. You’ll get to that point…you have to let yourself feel the fear and then that sense of living will be that much greater. Good luck

laura T said:

Hi Heather
How long did it take for you to get to this appreciation? I know in my heart no one can survive a brain aneurysm and not have it impact in a positive way. But I am not there yet and I so want to be!
I think I’m more scared which doesn’t allow enough thoughts of being thankful. I don’t want to be doom and gloom.

I would say that one positive thing that happened to me when I went throught the aneurysm, I had a greater appreciation for my family. My family at least to me, the greatest family on earth. My mom and dad, my grandparents, slept in my hospital room for like a whole month and the hospital room was small. I know sometimes I got ornery and get in arguments with my family, but I truly love everyone of them.

This whole ordeal has changed my way of thinking. I journal daily now for my children as you never know what can happen aneurysm or not. I want them to have tools to carry them and a clear understanding that they are my world and i love them. You do somehow look at life differently. Challenges you think maybe your not good enough for or probably couldn’t do you take the risk with ease.
Each day is a new day. I feel like i am here for a purpose I was allowed to stay here for a reason and now it’s time to do what I was put here for : )

expect nothing and appreciate everything…i quit smoking and drinking and spend more time with my family and my grand daughter who just turned a year old…the love of my life…new perspective on living and loving…life is good and God is great…my relationship with God is much closer which i love …have a great one!

Nikki Batts said:

There is nothing for support here in Greenville NC I would love to research it further. I am sure many people that are going thru this as we all have had questions (not even medically) but just needed someone to talk to that can shed light ( a positive light ) on things. Its hard going thru surgery and angiograms and everyone saying you’ll be fine yet they have no idea how you feel or what mentally you are trying to rap your arms around. Any advice on where to start a BAF ~(maybe this is my calling) the path to help others??
PS I went thru a craniotomy Sept 24th 09 to clip an aneurysm and will eventually need brain bypass surgery of the left middle cerebral artery. How do you from being so active everyday to being stopped dead in your tracks ?

it will come to you slowly but surely it has been 6 months now and i still get anxiety when i feel i pain or ting in my head,but not as often as two months ago…and i feel you time is your friend and helps you to heal …i also pray which gives me reassurance that there is ahigher power looking out for me…God bless

laura T said:

Hi Heather
How long did it take for you to get to this appreciation? I know in my heart no one can survive a brain aneurysm and not have it impact in a positive way. But I am not there yet and I so want to be!
I think I’m more scared which doesn’t allow enough thoughts of being thankful. I don’t want to be doom and gloom.

I have been working on accepting all of this since my rupture 7 years ago. I have learned how life is not always a bed of roses! I have been able to go back to doing everything I did with the exception of no motorcycles, I got a 4 wheeler instead! But I scuba dive, hunt and travel the same. I have started photography again and learned to see the true beauty in the photographs I take. I just can’t accept how long it takes me to do things now and the memory shortfalls. I also have gotten active in charity, to help find a cure or get the word out!

Great topic Heather,
Positive for me includes not smoking cigarettes any more and that has been great. I also have a great desire to not waste another minute on things that don’t matter. A greater appreciation for others and what they may be going through. I could go on and on.
Mostly, I’m just grateful to be alive everyday and to share what blessings God has bestowed on me through all of this.
Thanks,
Claudia

thats a big amen,God is great!

alice…happy your doing so great,God is watching over his children

Hi Mayra,

I live in Evansville, IN - there isn’t a support group here but would be willing to drive to St. Louis for a support group.

Did you get one started? Need help?

Have a great day.
Lori

Teresa,
Dr. A is my surgeon and we are getting ready to go round two. You are correct in your assessment. He is one of the greatest humans ever created. First surgery was Feb 1 and the next is Aug 23rd.

Mayra,
Couldn’t have said this any better. We have similar hearts about this matter. Bless you and your group. I’m in Springfield and maybe after my second surgery/recovery, I can get something started here.

hi, i know what your saying we all need to be positive,we are still alive, but at times its hard ,im single 51yrs old and have lost everything my home 7 horses truck greatdanes, i am also a cancer survior 9 surgies later ,this is the second time ive had to start over. its hard,when your alone you have no one to hug you and say its alright.like you i was working alot of hrs, 17 a day 2 jobs so i woulnt lose everything but then the aneurysm came . what now my family is great my daughter but there all tired of the extra burden,my daughter just moved now i get a friends porch so at times its hard to be happy.ive have not had two cents since jan22.its hard to smile sometimes.but i will try thank you for the up beat letter i know i have to get there to be happy. thanks linda

Hi Linda,
My name is Jon, I will be praying for you. And as you know (surviving cancer), It will take time. For some reason your still here. We are all blessed that you are. keep being a survivor example…

Linda I am saying a pray for you, I too am single with no children and have been without a job since 12/2008. I know how hard it is, and then nobody to hug! But, you have friends, they can’t help with the finance, but they can make you laugh!!! I am here if you need to vent!!! Sending you long distance bear hugs!!!

Hi Linda,
I’m praying for you too! I am 50 years old (had that birthday while in the hospital for the first aneurysm in February this year) and I am single. I’m so sorry you have lost so much but I have to wonder if God wants to give someone else a chance to earn some rewards for loving and helping you.
I just had my second (hopefully my final) surgery in august this year for the other aneurysm and I understand the need for love from others too. Bless you and praying for you.
God Bless,
Claudia

thank you claudia, its been a long long road.the cancer was bad enough,then this happened .its just so hard starting over and over again.here when you need to talk thanks linda

hi jon ,it keeps getting harder to keep getting up but i will i am a survivor,the cancer was bad 9 surguries but i think this was even worse aneurysm burst and stoke they told my family they didnt think i would make it dont remember nothing for three weeks,they tell me i had feeding tubes,breathing machine you name it.but six weeks later i walked out with a walker lost the walker a week later and 8 months later here i am .still have headacres,tired. thank you for the prayers, i will pray for you also thanks linda

Laurel,

My positive change too - I quit smoking as well! Plus outlook on life is a whole lot different!

Take care,
Lori

Em, All I can say is “you go girl!”, Thats what my friends tell me all the time. I have a memory and memory recall problem from mine, But after being laid-off, I am now in college (at age 50!) and I am going to suceed!!! It is one of the hardest things I hae done, but I know in my heart that God is walking with me and is there should I stumble. Keeping you both in my prayers and am here for a chat!