Has anyone also had an aortic aneurysm?

At my regular check up my general doctor found a very prominent and painful pulse in my abdomen. Considering I am about 50 lbs overweight he is very worried about aortic aneurysm and I am too. I'm only 26 years old. Advice or comforting would be appreciated, I have an ultrasound scheduled soon.

Hi Emily...You will be in my thoughts and prayers for your upcoming ultrasound and results...please keep us posted ~ Colleen

Emily, I am sorry you are going through this. I know that there are a few on here that have had an aortic aneurysm. You are in my thoughts and prayers, as well as the tech that does your ultrasound that they are able to see very clearly what is happening.

~ Carol

Hello Emily, Yes, I have had an Aortic Aneurysm rupture and I lived through it! It all began about a year earlier. I would have a numbing sensation that would go from my right shoulder and out the left side. I would ignore it and go on with what ever I was doing. On March 29,2010

that sensation came back and would not go away. I had gotten up that morning and felt fine. The numbing sensation was at its peak. I was at my computer. My legs went numb so I laid down on the floor. My daughters dog was laying there. Molly is a retreiver/chow mix, so she is a good size dog. While on the floor I looked at Molly and told her I needed her help to get to a phone. She looked at me and I wrapped my left arm around her neck and held on to her collar. I was on my knees and right hand as she got me up the stairs and to my bedroom. She knew that there was a phone there. I called my Sweetheart ( I am a widow) to come to take care of the dogs ( my other dog is a doxy/shi tzu mix). By this time I had lost my sight. My sweetheart got to my house and called 911. The ambulance attendants could not figure out what was wrong with me as my heart rate was fine but my blood pressure was dropping out of sight! They got me to the hospital er. I don't remember much after that. They ran a catscan and found that my Aorta was ready to rupture. I went from there into surgery. My surgeon had repaired one side of my aorta and was ready to work on the other side when the rupture happened! I lost seven pints of blood. The next thing I remember is waking up the next day in cardiac ICU. I asked the nurse what had happened to me and all she said was " Your Doctor will tell you when he comes in to see you." My daughter had come to see me before the doctor got there. He then told us what had happened. I was in the hospital for about a week. At the time that this happened I was 64. If it hadn't been for the help that I got from Molly and my sweetheart, I wouldn't be here to tell my story to others! I survived! Eighteen months later I found out that I had an Aneurysm in my skull. That was when I received the PED implant.

I hope that this helps. Today I live each day as it come and I try to do something nice for someone else, friend or stranger.

That’s a very lucky story to hear! I do have numbness in my feet every so often but I thought it was normal, also in my hands. My ultrasound is scheduled for September 15th. I wish I could have it earlier but that is the public health system. I’m having a lot of anxiety about it.

You will be in my thoughts and I will send out prayers that all will go well for you. Anxiety is a part of all the things that we all go through. You are a survivor!

Follow up: would the doctors have noticed an aortic aneurysm when they did my angiograms? I'm trying to find out if this is something that could be new.

To find out if you have an Aortic Aneurysm, a catscan will show it. Angiograms only show what is in the head. With a ct, it shows the chest and lower abdominal. Ask your Doctor for a ct. Your aorta goes from your heart up to your brain, and down your belly. If it found soon enough there is surgery to repair it.