Aortic Aneurysms

Has anyone been checked for an aortic aneurysm? Wondering if there is a high probability of having one after having cerebral aneurysms. Anyone know?

Hi Lily - I am not sure what the probability is but I had an aortic aneurysm rupture about 3 weeks after my cerebral aneurysm...it was coiled too. I am sure someone on here will know the answer but I was told in the hospital that it ruptured just as the one in my brain - because of weakened artery walls.

I had an aortic aneurysm that was discovered in 2003 by accident. I needed surgery and they replaced part of my aorta with a Dacron graft. At that time I asked both the cardiologist and surgeon if have an aortic aneurysm would put me a greater risk for a brain aneurysm. They both assured me one had nothing to do with the other.

10 years later I had a ruptured brain aneurysm that nearly did me in. Even though I had both, I think statistically the doctors were correct. The chances of having both are probably very rare, but as you can see definitely possible.

After my 2 huge annies, i’ve been wondering if I should be screened for aortic annies. Just another thing to worry about.

My neurosurgeon said that it is a possibility to have both since it is weakness in the arteries and whenever he does an angiogram he checks the aorta artery on his way through. I certainly hope that everyone's aorta has been checked when having the angiogram.

God bless,

~ Carol

Who is your doc?

My neurosurgeon is Dr Rene Sanchez-Mejia at Scripps Green Hospital in La Jolla California. He is absolutely amazing.

Asked my neuro and he said all the aorta is not visualized during angio so I’m thinking about seeing local doc for screening. My neuro is about 500 miles away.

They can see it if they look. I have had 4 angiograms and I always ask them to take a measurement of my aorta on the way through.

I needed an ultrasound on my kidneys to check a problem, so my doctor organised a check on my aorta at the same time. I was cleared of any problem.

He said you can only see a portion of it. Is that not true?

Lily, If they are going directly to the brain they would not see the anything below aortic arch. So it is partly true. If they take the time too look, they can see the entire aorta and take measurements along the way. However they would not do this unless you asked or it was indicated for some other reason.

Didn’t know to ask. Go back in nine months so I’ll ask unless I get screened before. Kinda worries me.