Abdominal aortic aneurysm (AAA)?

In December of 2011, I had a ruptured brain aneurysm. This week at a checkup, the doctor found a "sound" in my chest and is concerned that I have an abdominal aortic aneurysm. I have a CT angiogram tomorrow to evaluate further. Has anyone else been down this road? I recently read a research article finding that people with brain aneurysms are 9 times more likely to have AAA.

Hi Dacia, thank you for sharing this, I have wondered many times whether having an aneurysm could mean your vessels are weak and therefore they could pop up anywhere, you are lucky they found it, did you have any symptoms, if so what were they? I had a SAH in Feb 2011 which was coiled and at that time they found a mirror image aneurysm on the other side of my brain which was coiled and stented in April this year and there are several of us on here with multiple aneurysms, it is interesting! Thanks for sharing, Jill xx

Dacia,

I have a friend w/polycystic kidney disease (PKD); and she does have an aorta aneurysm; it is being monitored.

This friend does not have any diagnosed cerebral aneurysms, tho those w/PKD have potential.

Other than that, I know nothing of the AAA

Prayers for your best results in yoru diagnosis...

Pat

Hi, it was suggested that I may have some sort of vasculitis. I have family that has AS, several members including my Mom. I have tested positive for Rh factor with high levels and have experienced symptoms for the last 10 years or so, but I could never get doctors to act on my complaints until I was diagnosed with the aneurysm and that was a fight to get diagnosed as the ER turned me away the first time with middle ear issues...I don't know what they are teaching in medical school these days, but I can find more out on google...I have to say though that my surgeons were nothing to complain about. Maybe it's just general practice doctors? Anyhow, I am waiting for some test that they have to do, they are waiting for me to get stronger and heal from the craniotomy I had 5 weeks ago. It's something to think about in your case, have you ever been tested for RA or autoimmune disease? Saying a prayer for you.

Hi Dacia-was this an internet article? do not believe everything you read on the internet. Recently my boss forwarded an article from John Hopkins Hospital warning people not to put water bottles in the freezer because dangerous chemicals leach out during the freezing process,a few days later JHH issued an article stating the article never came from their hospital -it was just a scare scam i guess anyway I'm glad your getting the ct scan since my sister in law had one (Aaa) & they are a serious concern. Hoping Doc just heard a belly burp or something~!! My stomach makes strange noises at night-thanks for sharing.i will ask my dr on the 12th & good luck with your scan

Hi Dacia,

About 25 years ago, I had a "whole body" angiogram. Since I had three brain aneurysms, that test was ordered to see if I was a person who might harbor aneurysms in multiple parts of the body. Fortunately, none were found outside of the brain.

Each year, when I have my well woman's exam, my GYN always comments on his check of my chest sounds and thankfully, each year he has reported that there is no indication of an aortic aneurysms. He has always checked the sounds in my neck and chest and checked the glands in neck as well. My PCP checks these. too but, he doesn't report on it in the same way. :-)

I pray that you get good news from your CT angiogram tomorrow. May God look with favor upon you.

Carole

Hi, just checked with my neurosurgeon regarding a correlation between brain aneurysms and abdominal aortic aneurysms. He is not aware of a correlation. He says, he has treated a few (very few) patients with coexisting conditions that were purely incidental. He is a neurosurgeon in one of the top ten centers in the country. Hopes this helps you. Have a relaxing weekend.

Teresa