Got my surgery date

After lots of research, getting several medical opinions and interview four neurosurgeons, I have decided the best course of treatment is clipping. I chose the doctor I want to do the surgery, and my surgery is set for May 6th. Even after of all this, it does not seem real. I know that I have done all that I can in regards to research and choosing what and who is best for me. I know that surgery is the best option. I know that all will go well even if there are some major risks. Knowing all this, I am still scared to death.

I am going to tell my children once we get closer to the surgery date. I will have pre-op appointments next week to meet with the surgical team and the anesthesiology team. Is there anything specific I should ask them regarding the surgery and hospital stay?

Hi Terri !

So glad you've made your decision! Its not an easy one to make for sure. I think I'd ask the surgeon where the clipping site will be at, see if he plans to cut thru the temporal (jaw) muscle or not (probably not, but if so your eatting habits afterward will have to consist of easy to chew foods for a coupla' months), also I'd want to know if he planned to use staples or stitches when he sews you back up...ask what he foresees will be your limitations after surgery, ask if they plan to give you a disability time frame (3 months is usually the timeframe given for clippings with no complications) Ask about driving and when you'll be able to drive again (usually 6 weeks) ..ask which pain meds they'll prescribe to you and make sure you're compatible with the meds beforehand, and maybe ask about an anti anxiety med for pre surgery jitters (like Xanax or Ativan) if you haven't already done so. Also i'd ask what the follow-up schedule will be and how often to occur, and if they plan to give you a CT scan afterward (like at 6 weeks or 8 weeks post clipping) or not.....and ofcourse, how long will the surgery take to complete..

Remember your brain and body will take time to heal Terri, and don't be shocked when you see some bruising under or near the eyes, we all get that 'look' afterward but but you'll be back to your old self in no time.

Peace and great healing vibes to you Terri, will be thinking about you on the 6th of May, hoping for a totally uneventful surgery ..and a quick recovery. Janet

Hi ,

I am going for clipping on 13th May. Thanks Janet for the list of questions. Good Luck for your upcoming surgery Terri

Ashhan

Good luck with yours as well. I will be sending positive thoughts your way.

Thanks Janet.

Ashhan,

Best of luck for a very uneventful surgery combined with a quick recovery! Lots of healing vibes being sent your way, Peace, Janet

They should explain all about the surgery and the hospital stay but feel free to ask them anything no matter how trivial it may seem to you. I was very comfortable with my surgeon and he let me know it was ok to ask him anything that was on my mind.

Sounds like your making the best choice and I wish you all the best Terri :)

Hi Terri...

Thanks for informing us of your surgery date. You are to be admired that you have done so much research...but even still, it is natural to be scared...

One question I would definitely ask are what are the effects/problems after surgery? for example...with my coiling I asked this question and Surgeon said Bad headaches for about 6 months...

Will keep you in my prayers ~ Colleen

Thank you Valerie.

Thank you Colleen.

Great Terri! we are so happy to hear! thank you for sharing. Wr'll keep you in our thoughts and prayers~~

Thank you Ron.