Exercise?

I go to curves, and ride a stationary bike. I actually had my PT go to curves with me to incorporate therapy with my work out, and slso for her to "approve" my workout. She said it was great for me, not strenuous, as the machines are hydroponic. My bike, I ride at my own pace. My clipping of a ruptured aneurysm was 10 years ago, but I'm still careful about not doing anything strenuous on my head!

I was told to walk and do stationary bike as well. Was told by my neurosurgeon no yoga, he explained that the blood rushing to my head wouldn't be the best idea. I have had two brain surgeries with coils for a mother/daughter brain aneurysms, which leaked and had acquired another annie, which then required second surgery with a stent. So two annies with coils and a stent in place. These are located on my right carotid artery. Now I still have two other annies on the left carotid and a fundabulum. So for me yoga isn't feasible. As others have said everyone is different. So listen to your doctor as to what he recommends as far as exercise. God bless...

Can someone explain how to get oxygen to the brain besides intense exercise. Breathing????

The only way to get 'oxygen' to the brain is to breathe in and out..!!

The main thing to understand here is that 'Air' is what you breathe, and air consists of 21% O2 (Oxygen), 78% Nitrogen and 1% trace elements.

When you breathe in Air your lungs take in 21% O2 (Oxygen) and then you breathe out 17% of that..!!

So your body only ever metabolises 4% of that O2 from normal Air. (This is why rescue breaths work when performing CPR on a casualty, your exhaled breath has enough O2 to sustain life / brain function.)

All that said, you can breathe in higher concentrations of O2, in the form of 'Nitrox' (which is a gas blend of any percentage of O2 between 22-99%) or, of course, 100% O2 which is pure oxygen.

However, your body will still only ever metabolise a small percentage of it.

Hope that helps. ;-)

Ivivi said:

Can someone explain how to get oxygen to the brain besides intense exercise. Breathing????

Thanks. I like to have the facts! That helps. I never really considered why CPR might work especially by breathing into the victim 'spent' breath, but this explains it.

James said:

The only way to get 'oxygen' to the brain is to breathe in and out..!!

The main thing to understand here is that 'Air' is what you breathe, and air consists of 21% O2 (Oxygen), 78% Nitrogen and 1% trace elements.

When you breathe in Air your lungs take in 21% O2 (Oxygen) and then you breathe out 17% of that..!!

So your body only ever metabolises 4% of that O2 from normal Air. (This is why rescue breaths work when performing CPR on a casualty, your exhaled breath has enough O2 to sustain life / brain function.)

All that said, you can breathe in higher concentrations of O2, in the form of 'Nitrox' (which is a gas blend of any percentage of O2 between 22-99%) or, of course, 100% O2 which is pure oxygen.

However, your body will still only ever metabolise a small percentage of it.

Hope that helps. ;-)

Ivivi said:

Hi, I had clipping, for an unruptured aneurysm 61/2 years ago. I attend a fitness class three times a week, with 30 minutes of aerobics, plus balance training and free weights. I also walk a lot in an urban area that has many steep hills. I avoid getting my pulse rate high enough to feel any pounding in my head. I just had a CT scan and MRI, after a sudden, brief vision loss in one eye. No new problems - just directed to take low dose aspirin to prevent interruption of blood flow. Just find your comfort level and stay with an active life.

Best to all, Bonny

Hi there!!!
I kayak five to six miles every other day. On days that I do not kayak I ride my beach bike (no hand gears). Feel so so much better when I exercise. Sometimes I take an hour nap after I exercise and shower to recharge my batteries. We both had our surgeries at the same time.
Have a great day!!! Be well.

My wife (aneurysm 3 years ago) walks a lot, lifts weights, does stairs exercises (very important for her left leg), and jogs on a trampoline. All of this is good for her. I do some of this with her, especially the walking (good for my heart valve repair), so it's also a good social time. Some of this is a continuation of the therapy she received in acute rehab.

I'm almost 4 years out from my rupture/clipping. I have wanted to do yoga because it has always made me feel good, but find that there is too much inversion even with simple things like Sun Salutations. I used to love the feel of downward dog, but it makes me uncomfortable now. I think it has only been in the last year that I've felt comfortable bending down to pick something up off the floor. I suppose I started working out with a trainer at about 2 years. He has watched me like an Eagle and had me gradually progress without overdoing it. I do most of the machines in the gym and some stuff with free weights too. I don't do stuff that causes my neck muscles to engage. It seems to me that experimenting and paying attention to how your body reacts. It sounds like you are pretty good at that since you are able to recognize signs and stop shoveling snow. I still have a tendency to overdo in the yard. I've taken to setting a timer so that I stop and rest and pay attention to how I am doing. I also find that I can overdo on brain work and get the same physical symptoms of light-headedness and trembling. Darn spreadsheets.