I am new to the site and recently diagnosed with 4mm pericallosal aneurysm. Prior to diagnosis, I was very fit, working out regularly. I have not exercised since March of this year and have not been given specific advice in respect of this issue and would appreciate any information others may have been provided.
Many thanks in advance
I had a ruptured Annie in Feb., but still have a 2mm one in there to operated on at a later date. It’s been almost 8 months and I am still given vague advice from my neurosurgeon about “working out”. I used to be a runner & was very active. Every time I have broached the subject of working out, my Dr., has been very hesitant to say “go ahead”. At first he of course said unequivocally “no”. Then after 5 months he said “moderately”, with hesitation. I asked him to be more specific, and he basically said “Nothing that causes your blood pressure to increase or strain”, so moderate walking, cycling, kayaking etc. I have accepted that until I no longer have an annie, that I will have to concede I will not be able to “work out”. I have erred on the side of caution, mostly because I read my neurosurgeon’s body language and facial expression. He looked almost pained to even tell me I could do anything at all. I have retired because he doesn’t even want me working due to any stress. I hope this gave you an idea of what Dr.'s mean.
Many thanks for your reply. I have formulated the same impression re exercise, which is really frustrating. You mention that you have another which is to be dealt with at a later date. Does this mean the medics have decided to intervene, even though the aneurysm is small?
They have decided to intervene because it’s filling up. Even though it’s small, it concerns then that its filling up. I’ve have about 5 CAT scans and 3 MRI’s since Feb., and every image done shows it’s been filing up
You are certainly not having a good time at the moment. The impression I am getting here in UK is that they would not intervene until the thing is 7mm, despite the evidence which suggests that the location of mine renders it more prone to rupture when small. Where are you and when do they plan to take care of it?
I am in Canada. My ruptured annie went when it was only 4mm, so they take that history into account. Every CAT scan had shown that the second annie has filled up a little more each time. They are hesitant to do the second one before a year. They would like more healing time for my brain from the rupture before they go in again. If it fill significantly in the next couple months then they may have no choice but to operate. You have a medium size aneurysm, but have had no history. Leaving it alone, and operating on it both has significant risk, so it’s certainly no fun playing the waiting game is it?!
Mine was just discovered in March this year, following my having excruciating headache whilst lifting weights. I am being told this is unrelated, but I am not so sure. My main concern is if it goes and there is no one around, which is scary. Have had 2 CT scans and MRI thus far and have been informed I will have MRA in July 2018. Did they fix your first one with coils? What an ordeal for you to go through that and have to have another one taken care of. I hope it can be done in a planned way with the second one, although you may well be wanting to have it all over and done with in order to get back to normality . Watch and wait is awful
Yes they coiled it. Coiling is still very new in Canada too. The waiting really does suck. I would not be doing any straining like weights. It was the one thing the neurosurgeon insisted upon was that I lifted nothing over 20 lbs, or nothing if I could help it. They always make me feel like there’s something they’re not telling me. My husband hates leaving me alone, but I do like alone time. I live out in the country since I retired, and honestly if something happened I might be screwed. In the city I was 20 min away from the best Hospital…now I’m over an hour away. I live and appreciate every day. I’ve actually written all the people I love, letters just in case.
Yes, I have been thinking about setting up a power of attorney, in case anything happens. I live about half an hour away from our “super hospital”, but still concerning, as I live alone. Were you ready to retire? I love my job, but it can be stressful at times. It involves making decisions about people with mental health difficulties in terms of the need for hospitalisation, followed by writing report within legal timescales and presenting evidence at tribunals. Unfortunately, financially I am not in a position to reduce hours. Will just need to ensure that I do not allow myself to get overly stressed. It’s all a nightmare isn’t it?