Exercise?

I heard Yoga is a great way to workout but me being the former athlete like to push myself pretty hard. Yoga is probably your best option and from what I know it is not a terrible idea for people with aneurysms. There is a yoga program out there called DDP Yoga that has gotten great results, it is body weight strength training mixed in with your typical yoga and even comes with a nutrition guide. I wish you the best and if not light jogging or elliptical work is always good. Take care and hope it works out.

btw here's a link to an inspirational story from a guy using ddp yoga, it really helped show me that many things are possible with hard work and dedication. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qX9FSZJu448

Hi,

I had a brain aneurysm burst almost three years ago. It was coiled and while the first year was challenging both physically and emotionally; I've been running about 4 times a week, doing weight and yoga once a week for almost 2 years. My yoga, however, is called restorative so it's very, very relaxing. I think like others have suggested you need to listen to your body and to your doctor.

Good Luck, working out can be so relaxing.

Hi Harlylena,

I had my unruptured aneurysm clipped 3-yrs ago. I currently walk and ride my bike for 40 min every other day. I do not lift heavy items because it hurts my head (surgery side) and I get very tired. I agree with previous posts - listen to your doctor and listen to your body. Take care

I was actually in an aerobics class when my aneurysm ruptured. Now 2 and a half years post coiling I am able to do just about everything I did before. I have done everything from biking and swimming to a high intensity T25 workout without any issues. I just have to be mindful of my heart rate. It is a learning process and different for each of us. Good Luck!!

WOW! COOL! I just loved all the responses. (And that super cool photo of James underwater) It gave me some things to consider so I sent a quick note over to my Neurodoc to ask about heart rate during exercise. I also spoke with the local park district about the Yoga Lite class and turns out they can give me alternate things to do instead of Downward Dog so it doesn't become Faceplant Dog (smirk). And yep I do agree that some of it is fear based. I just have to listen to my body more than my head sometimes. Thanks again everyone!

Hello Harlylena,

I used to be a gym rat prior to my rupture 4 years ago ( wow, time flies). Since the event, Iā€™m not allowed to lift anymore, which is fine. However, I religiously run 4-5x/wk or I bike ( spring/summer). I received my surgery at Thomas Jefferson in Philly ( where they pioneered the angiogram) & they were adamant that we should exercise. The more oxygen to the brain, the better. Obviously no strainingā€¦ Lol

Between vitamins & exercise, Iā€™m a firm believer I wouldnā€™t have recovered as well as I have. Any exercise ( make sure you run it by your Doc) you can do, Iā€™m sure your brain would benefit.

Hope this helps!

Good Luck!

Daryl

I had to give up yoga because my head didn't like being down too. I was sad because I really loved yoga and I hate how tight and awkward I feel without the the full yoga stretch. The bad feeling when I bend over has decreased over the last couple of years. Short periods are OK. I, too, have to limit my physical activity to ward off over doing and the fatigue that follows. When I do yard work, I try to set a timer to help me stop. That said, I have an hour work out with a trainer that involves weights, stretching, and rather light aerobic stuff. That has been a very gradual building up. I have a really good trainer who watches out for my health issues. I also walk which is great with a buddy.

I walk five miles a day, nearly three years after 3 aneurysms were coiled & stented (one ruptured). I try to average 15 min/mile -- which is hooking it but that gets heart going which is good for brain, too.

I don't do yoga anymore b/c anything with head down position leaves me dizzy.

I agree with what some others have said -- follow what works best for you. Start slow and work up to an exercise routine that keeps you in best shape.

I run, but my hemorrhage was perimesemphalic, or the ani was there and blew and resorbed or wasnā€™t there. I started about 8 weeks after. I now run ultra marathons. I canā€™t do anaerobic but, the other is fine.

ETA: Iā€™m three years out and still deal with daily constant headache. The running helps immensely, and staying healthy is imperative to me.

Hi Harlyena

I had my aneurysms coiled 2 years ago - and like most cannot do the upside down thing in yoga and cannot do heavy lifting exercises. I do find that walking works for me - on the days I feel really good, I am able to push my pace and on the days I don't feel so good, I do anything from a normal walk to a slow stroll.... the pace doesn't matter too much to me, as long as I get out and about :)

Just listen to your body and be kind to yourself.

I had surgery 2 years ago, could not clip my aneursym, then they tried to coil it and could not so I donā€™t do any exercise scared it may rupture

I find it fascinating how similar and yet different we all are. We tweak and fine tune activities to create new lifestyles. With the medical community's guidance we take the first steps. It also seems that our own guidance system, 'our gut', is a good indication of what to do. Like bumper guards. I spoke with my Neuro today and asked my questions. Keep in mind this is meant for my situation and body but I thought I'd share. I only had one aneurysm that was clipped and have no others. So, he said not to limit my activities. Take it slow, listen to your body and when it wants to rest, take a break. Then resume the activity when able to.

I used to ride a motorcycle before surgery. I have not since. I have not been on the elliptical and avoid bicycles. When I asked my Neuro if I could resume riding he said if I could get past the fear that I could so long as I was very careful. I know an element in all this is that I am now afraid of hitting my head...thus my avoidance of anything I might fall off of. I know it's irrational and I'm getting better at it. The motorcycle is no more dangerous than it was before surgery.

Atleast I haven't been walking around wearing my motorcycle helmet to protect my head....YET. Just kidding, I see it for what it is. Fear. And just as with everything else, I'm learning to work through it. Thanks again for all your helpful advice!

I found a personal trainer with the guidance of my neurologist, keeping my heart rate under 120 and my head above my knees. I wear a heart monitor. I am eating better and less. This exercise is helping to build muscle and bone density. My neurologist also wants me to walk 2 miles a day.

I will say that fear of hitting my head was HUGE at first, and I have fallen a few times and rang my bell. In fact I fell on the Walt Disneyworld Marathon and got a slight concussion a few weeks back. As time has gone on (three years post) it's become less scary. I didn't ride my bike the first year and when I did again, at first I was scared to go fast but then I remembered when I taught triathlon classes that you're less stable when you go slow, so it wasn't long before I was back to my old speed demon self. (Always safe, but I do like to go fast on my road bicycle.) I have not resumed karate because sparring was the fun part but I do just about everything else except hot yoga (concern with the upside down and the heat). I just don't do as much as I used to, but I am gearing back up to ultra marathons and have registered for a 50 miler in April.

I think we do have to remember that we need to balance our fear with how important it is to take excellent care of our health. That means good food as much as possible (not that I don't enjoy a good cupcake and bacon...not usually at the same time), and exercise within our capabilities and doctor's orders. In fact, exercise is part of my neurologist's prescription for natural natural pain relief.

I'm so glad I found this question! My aneurysm was 7 months ago and before I was SUPER active. Now all I can seem to manage is a 1 mile walk 2 times a week. And after that I'm exhausted. I had to quit my gym because of the noise and smells. I had no idea (or why) how many people wear fragrance to go to the gym. And even with ear plugs, I couldn't tolerate the loud music coming from classes and the workout machine noise.

I had a hard time with noise at first but was finally able to tolerate sounds later.

Robin kaufman said:

I had a hard time with noise at first but was finally able to tolerate sounds later.
How long did it take for you? I can't even leave the house with ear plugs.

I too notice that at times when I am in a place and it is to busy I have to leave. I think I lost my ability to smell :(

A little over 3 months for me, had this discussion with doc last week, cleared for cardio but no weights. Didnā€™t ask why, so not certain how come or for how long.

Started water workouts, going well.