Exercise?

Hello, I have a small (3mm) aneurysm (ica) that is being monitored by my neurosurgeon. He has given no restrictions,other than no handstands. He has told me it is safe to exercise and lift small weights, but I have not exercised since being diagnosed. I am afraid! My mother had survived a ruptured aneurysm in 2001, had it clipped and also had another unruptured aneurysm coiled. She has since passed on. Does anyone else have concerns about exercise? Do you work out regularly? Thank you

Hello Melissa, I have 2 small (2mm & fusiform) aneurysms that I am living with right now and have survived 1 ruptured and 1 coiled. My Dr. advised me not to change my lifestyle except to quit smoking but I exercise doing aerobics, I do not lift weights over 10-15 lbs and walk 1/2-2 miles 2-3 times a week. The only other advise my Dr gave me was do not do anything that will make you strain and that includes moving furniture that maybe to heavy for 1 person. I hope this helps.

Hi Melissa,

First of all, I'm glad you found BAF to ask these kinds of things to. Just the fact that you took the time to research and find this site means your life is already changing because of your aneurysm. All of ours does that right after diagnosis. I can't speak for your neurosurgeon who's recommended monitoring, but have you gotten a second opinion? I got three. I too had a family history, mother and grandmother so in the end there was no choice really but to have it clipped, too much risk otherwise. Before I decided definitely though one of the reasons also was if I leave it there and it ruptures there is a possibility that I'll survive and will I disabled then? I can't control that but I could control it by having surgery.

What does your gut tell you? That's important as well as getting all the facts you need to feel comfortable. Just before my surgery when I was at the gym and other places doing different things I would find myself thinking will this be the last time? Will things be different or the same? But I knew I had decided to have the surgery (which along with all the tests, appts, and opinions took 2 months) so I felt more in control.

Think carefully because I don't wish anyone living with that uncertainty. You're afraid to exercise, that's not good. And what does he mean by small weights? Is he saying then that there is a risk?

Good luck, it's not an easy decision.

Jeannine

Hi Melissa - Glad you asked this! I had an SAH and it's been almost a year since. As many are doing, I'm using the New Year to forge ahead with a shape up and all my neurosurgeon said was that I could go ahead with exercise. I mentioned I used to kickbox and again he said to go ahead. That made me a little nervous because it's been sometime since I used to do that and it's pretty vigorous. So, I was going to start with something a little less stressful like yoga and of course walking. I am considering swimming too but the thought of having anyone see me in a bathing suit is enough to make me forget the whole thing. I really couldn't do anything too vigorous anyway since I still have issues from the SAH but just take it easy to start because raising your blood pressure won't be a good thing. I think my high blood pressure was a major factor with the SAH. I hope you find out more of what other folks are doing and I'll be keeping an eye out too. Best of everything!

Hey Melissa, I ruptured and had a second coiling. I am one year out. I’m not supposed to overdo it. I still have difficulty with bending, so I squat. Trained the new dog bad habits so I don’t have to bend. I walk daily, work in my yard, Tai Chi weekly. No inversions at Tai Chi. Haven’t gone back to the gym yet. I have some light weights 3, 5 and 10 lbs and use those occasionally while sitting on a ball. Don’t let fear run your life, you are in control. Best luck to you!

"Don't let fear run your life, you are in control."

I totally agree with moltroub on this. If your neuro thought you were in imminent danger he wouldnt suggest monitoring and would tell you to not do any exercise. I had a rupture and a second annie coiled/stented 6 months later but these were around the 8mm size, and.... I smoked which was a big risk factor. I also have a 4mm being monitored for now and I gave up smoking so honestly no, I dont worry at all. with my history, Im sure the neuro wouldnt monitor if he thought I was in danger. I also do exercise about once a week and use small weights as well. You cant stop living because of these annies, and there are many people who go their lives not even knowing they have aneurisms because they never cause problems. I would just make sure you BP is good, you dont smoke and dont drink too much alcohol, they would be the biggest risk factors for people like us and Im pretty well convinced I may not have had that rupture if I wasnt a smoker to begin with. many people think annies are a ticking time bomb, but a time bomb will go off eventually, annies dont necessarily do anything in most cases so I suspect unless there are other risk factors we just need to relax and enjoy life as best we can. If your neuro notices your annie getting bigger etc, he may re=evaluate things.

ps. Im not sure how old you are but chances are you've had that aneurysm for years and been exercising all along. I think there was someone here who said they had a 3mm which hadnt changed in size in 10 years of monitoring. I really believe it's all about perspective, and being realistic but not fearful about the risks of having these. The only reason I had the second one treated was because of my rupture history and the neuro suggested it was wise, but since he feels comfortable monitoring the small one, I'm fine with that too and Im at a place where I rarely think of it.

Thank you all for your support. I am trying to think and act more positive this year. I have wasted too much time being afraid. You are all right. I cannot let fear run my life.
Thanks again :slight_smile:

Hi Melissa I have a 4mm unraptured Annie and exercise by swimming and walking. I have completed a couple of fun runs and took my time. I’ve read various articles around strenuous exercise and understood that I probably shouldn’t go hard. I am having a MRI next month as part of my monitoring and intend on asking the Nerosurgen his opinion. So many questions. I do what I feel comfortable with and I get great pleasure in the small bit that I do best of wishes to you cheers chick

I had a 4mm and was told no restrictions in exercise. But I was afraid and stopped doing yoga and anything more strenuous than walking. I have since had it clipped and was back at the gym a month later!

Hi guys, I have a 10mm saccular aneurysm, off my main artery which I had coiled four weeks ago. The only thing re exercise I was told was not to join a gym anytime soon lol.

I haven’t had my follow up appt yet to ask about lifestyle and exercise but in previous appts I’ve been told to keep living my life.

We can’t let this hold us back. If we hadn’t of found these aneurysms we would just go on living our lives. I’ve had the operation so I don’t live in fear of it rupturing so I don’t want to live in fear post op.

The fact is the only thing they know that affects aneurysms rupturing for def is family history and smoking (excluding Obvs like location and size). Everything else is precautionary.

Good luck, take it easy but live your life!!! We only have one

:slight_smile: