Dentists

Alice...I take no meds...the issues came on immediately after the minimally invasive procedure(s)...

The pituitary is the one that controls/monitors thirst and body temp...I have for almost 12 years drank 1-2 gallons of water a day; now that does include 2 cups for my morning coffee of 1 1/2 cups...however, I also drink some juice.

The rehab MD suggested (told me) to use eye drops...over a couple of years, I did regain normal flow in my eyes...tho, I have not "cried"...after my first f/u angio... worse, on my next (and, last) angio...which was also the one that the migraine aura began...

Is your mouth dryness on your cheeks...stuck to the sides of your teeth... or to the roof of your mouth and/or your tongue? Mine began instantly post coiling/stenting on the cheeks; later to the roof/tongue.

The loss of the saliva in our mouths relates to cause of enamel loss. I originally thought it was the loss of calcium processing thru properly...another story later on.

I am aware of others with such similar issues...Conversely, some whose eyes water all the time...I could type more chapters...stopping for now.

Thank you very much for sharing...I so hope others will if it pertains to them...eyes and/or mouth...

Alice said:

Yes!!!!! It's awful. I thought I was suffering alone. My left eye no longer tears or closes completely. I use artificial tears constantly and ointment at night to sleep.

My mouth is always dry, I drink a ton of water, chew gum and brush with biotene toothpaste. I'm always uncomfortable. I figure it's due to all the meds I take.

This discussion is of great interest to me, because I have an aneurysm which will be coiled and possibly stented, in addition I have CRPS, complex regional pain syndrome. I also have/had mitral valve prolapse, so I know a bit about taking an antibiotic prior to dental work. After getting painful yeast infections from the antibiotic I refused to take it and lied to my dentist. I did however take probiotics before the treatment. At some point the medicos said people with MvP no longer needed to take antibiotics before dental procedures, but I still continue to use a probiotic. A good probiotic is kefir found in the dairy section.

Since I have CRPS I have been advised to having cleanings 4 times a year, but to have them with sedation, because the "trauma" of having any kind of dental procedure could trigger full body CRPS. Now I am worried about the possible negative outcomes of being positioned too low in a dentist chair with a coiled aneurysm and sedation.

I think we need more information and I think the information should come from as many sources as we can find. I would not rely on one source. I prefer to have multiple verifications.

wow thats a wealth of info, ty 4 sharing, i will def look 4 the xlear, the flonase is gross and the nasal spray doesnt seem to do much. I use eucalytus to open it up but thats so strong it burns. What really helps me is sleepy time sinus soother tea i forget the active herbs it has but i couldnt find it at walmart and my sinus got way woorse discontinuing it. i got 8 boxes on its way from amazon, tc oxo~

hi ! another thing is dry mouth mouthwash, my b-i-l gets it and swears by it

wow thats interesting, ty for sharing, im always leary of the next great thing to come along, like splenda, then stevia and now ther say its all bad!-lol. susan clark is a clinician not sure what that means? sounds like a reputable scientist maybe? tc

HNH...I had coils...I posted some data in my 11th anniversary...which will be expanded w/my upcoming 12th... Those of us w/the marketed minimally invasive coiling/stenting can have extensively invaded portions (arteries, tissues, cranial nerves, ventricles) and they are not visible to those w/o x-ray vision.

Thus, only our cognition, emotions, hearing, vision, cardio-pulm, GI, excessive fatigue, circadian schedule, thirst, weight loss or gain, loss of balance/coordination can/may become visible post-coiling/stenting to family/friends/others....and, it takes a few years of dry mouth to affect the enamel...

HNH said:

I have a PED in an unruptured aneurysm that is now 3 months old. So far, I have just had one routine dental checkup. I told them about the PED and that I was on blood thinners, but my gums are in good shape and I didn't do any bleeding. I did skip the x-rys this time, since I got a good dose of radiation during the procedure, and since I am going to have to have another angiogram in three months to see if the annie is shrinking like it should. I imagine it's different when you have had clipping,since they had to actually invade your brain. What do the folks with coils say?

You are smart. It is wise to be leery. I use Stevia in moderation. As to xylitol I only use that in a tooth powder mixture I make. I only use a non-GMO xylitol. I started using xylitol regularly only because it was backed by global medical research, not a company.

As to prophylactic antibiotic use for brain aneurysms which have been coiled or clipped before dental work is vital information. I hope that this will be answered. Also could there be something else that could be used other than antibiotics?

Ok now I'm scared, I had a ruptured aneurysm 20 months ago, it was cliped and I'm going to make two teeth implants, but i need to make a bone replacement first, my dentist knows I have the clip but never mentioned any possible complications or the need to premed. I'm starting to be afraid of doing this and have complications. I'm going to ask the dentist about the 4 amoxicillin but if he tells me there's no need for that what should I do? Anyone here made implants after the cliped aneurysm?

Harlylena and All...

Did anyone of you have a neuro-doc explain potential oral/dental issues on your discharge or in a f/u visit? And, what, if anything, we should explain to our dentist? To our ophthalmologist? ETC?

Those of you with open-surgery would be visible to a dentist...those of us w/the minimally invasive procedures...is not readily visible...except possibly our aphasia discussions???

I am backing away from a chapter or two....

Sorry to horn in on a discussion about clipped aneurysms, but I do have experience with a tooth implant. Mine was done in stages: 1) Extract the tooth and place the bone augmentation into the space left. Take amoxicillin for a whole round afterwards. 2) Almost a year later, put the post into the jaw that the implant will be attached to. Take amoxicillin for a round. 3) Many more months later, add the implant base to the post. Immediately after, go to the dentist who will be making and placing the crown so he can have it built at the lab including some other vital piece of the implant. Take amoxicillin for a round. 4) Have the crown cemented on. (I didn't get antibiotics for that step.) Is it possible the dentist didn't mention premedication because he knew he was going to give you post-medication?

HNH...thanks for great info...assume you mean those implants that run $3-$5000 apiece?

HNH said:

Sorry to horn in on a discussion about clipped aneurysms, but I do have experience with a tooth implant. Mine was done in stages: 1) Extract the tooth and place the bone augmentation into the space left. Take amoxicillin for a whole round afterwards. 2) Almost a year later, put the post into the jaw that the implant will be attached to. Take amoxicillin for a round. 3) Many more months later, add the implant base to the post. Immediately after, go to the dentist who will be making and placing the crown so he can have it built at the lab including some other vital piece of the implant. Take amoxicillin for a round. 4) Have the crown cemented on. (I didn't get antibiotics for that step.) Is it possible the dentist didn't mention premedication because he knew he was going to give you post-medication?

HNH, thanks, knowing that you did the same procedure makes me more optimist. Mine is going to be in stages too, it will take 2 years to complete, it´s going to be very similar to yours but i need 3 implants, my wallet is going to hurt as well! Can you tell one more thing? Do you also have a clip and when the procedures were done, did you felt more dizzy, I´m going alone and a bit afraid to not be able to drive back home. This is all news to me because my neuro never told me nothing about dentist, He just said to do my normal life, no restrictions.

I have just read this post and do not really understand!,so I am 7 years post SAH and coiling I think the coiling was platinum?? 2 years ago I had some extensive dental work done(fillings and one extraction) I was not aware about the pre medication of antibiotics and my dentist did not advise me re. this either. Is it just for clipping or coiling too? I see my neurosurgeon in October and will ask him, but just as Isabel said "can someone please explain to me ??"

Hi - I called my surgeon’s office at NYU to ask about taking meds before dental work - cleanings or other work. They SWEAR that no meds are needed, whether you have clips or coils UNLESS you also have a heart issue…such as heart murmur or mitral valve prolapse, etc. I asked 3 times, in 3 ways, just to make sure. Everyone should double- check with their own docs but I feel satisfied :slight_smile:

i would have to stop the blood thinner b4 they touch me!

Hello to all my name is ileana I suffered a ruptured aneurysm on June 18.2015 two months ago iam still feeling fatigue no sleep nervous oh and have no taste buds .oh and the headaches is any one goin thur this as well?. PS I thank god iam alive inspite of all I have gone thru

Hi Ileana,

I suffered a ruptured aneurysm 4 years ago. I felt tremendous fatigue, sometimes I when I couldn't sleep, I usually watched happy movies to help me rest. At night I took some sleep medication. I sometimes can taste things, sometimes I cannot. I never know when. The headaches were VERY bad at first, but got better over time - For me, healing has taken years, but I am much better now then I was 4 years ago, and I know you will be too. It is amazing that we have survived....you, like me are a "warrior princess!!!!" ....Alice

Ileana said:

Hello to all my name is ileana I suffered a ruptured aneurysm on June 18.2015 two months ago iam still feeling fatigue no sleep nervous oh and have no taste buds .oh and the headaches is any one goin thur this as well?. PS I thank god iam alive inspite of all I have gone thru

As with Sharon - take 4 amoxicillin 1 hr prior to appointment.

Hello thank you sweety for the reply I’m glad im not alone on my journey this website is awesome

Me too. It’s been 12 years and they don’t want bacteria floating or circulating to my brain. I had a total screwup. Went in without a bleed; they opened my head and caused a stroke. Sent me home in 3 days with steroids. I couldn’t read, remember or really think clearly. I didn’t find out for almost 2 years and my friend’s ex husband, a neurologist, told me. Get a second opinion and the contrast is really hard on your kidneys.