Dentists

Hi all, I finally mustered the nerve to go to the dentist to check on some sore teeth. They said they might use nitrous gas but I wondered if there was anything else I had to be aware of so I did a quick search on these boards. Sounds like I just let them know I have a clip and some dentists choose to prescribe antibiotics before a procedure. Anything else I should know?i

My Annie clipping was 12 years ago tomorrow and I have to premed with 4 amoxicillin 1 hr prior to dentist appointment ever since. Better safe than sorry!

I pre-medicate (4 amoxicillin 1 hour before appt.) because of prior joint replacements, the subject of the aneurysm need never came up - I the pre-med works for all!

You might want to let them know before you show up for your appointment. Since my Annie rupture I have been fortunate not to have needed anything but routine cleaning. That way if you need meds before a procedure they can get it for you. Let us know. Good thoughts to you~myra

Wait, what?! We need amoxicillin before the dentist if we have clips? No one ever told me. What is the reason?

I am a recent survivor, 2/24/2015. Multiple CT scans, angios, and X-ray procedures for placement of pic lines have made my hair thin, still falling out. I would NOT voluntarily submit to more radiation via dental X-rays.

I had two front root canals with no caps before my surgery and my dentist told me to let the anesthesiologist know this so he would take care when they put whatever it is in my mouth. Dentist said they could easily break before the caps were put on.

Yea, just tell your dentist and trust them. I don't know of any special precautions; I passed on my x-rays because I'm not having any pain, told him about my clips, and all was well. Good luck!

I’m 19 mos post op from my clipping. About a month ago I had an old filling needing some replacement. The drilling & vibrations made me really dizzy. I did my best to relax and meditate. I’ve always been very anxious at the dentist but haven’t experienced this dizziness before.

I have to go this month. Not looking forward to it.

You need to be on antibiotics an hour before your procedure. Best wishes!

My dentist just needed an okay from my neuro surgeon. The dentist initially tiold me that I would need to wait one year before cleaning and I said no way. neuro doctor had no problem. My Annie was clipped.

Had Open heart surgery in Sept 2013 for an ascending aortic aneurysm. Now am required to take 4 amoxicillin 1 hour before any dental procedure.

I concur. 4 amoxicillin 1 hour before any dental procedure. I asked my neurologist.

Regardless of informing the dentist of clips and craniotomy, they still placed the chair far back so my head was lower than my body. I kept trying to sit up a bit as I could FEEL it wasn’t right. The pressure and drilling caused premature PVD or posterior vitreous detachment. I guess it happens in old age or sooner if a trauma occurs and my Opthamologist that I had to see days later said it was the trauma of the drilling. Within two days I saw floaters and flashes of lights trailing on my peripheral vision. I’m still on watch for subsequent retina detachment.
I’m happy to know re the antibiotics, I didn’t know that…

are you on blood thinners? i hsd to stop them 5 days prior to colonoscopy and other pocedures

Why the antibiotics? I was told no restrictions, and honestly it doesn’t really make sense to me. Why would there be a higher risk of infection?

I have a mitral valve prolapse. The protocol is 2 amoxicillin 1 hour before any dental procedure, due to risk of infection in the valve. For this reason I asked my neurosurgeon about dental work, which can be quite invasive. My ruptured annie was coiled and I also have a shunt.

Alice said:

I concur. 4 amoxicillin 1 hour before any dental procedure. I asked my neurologist.

I too have to take a large dose of antibiotics an hour before (4 x 500mg). Good luck!

I manage a dental office and 6 months post op for clipping and I am only aware the you need to pre med if you have a pipeline or stent. Not just a clipping. I would ask your neurosurgeon just as a precaution, but my dentist and my neurosurgeon both stated the same thing. Usually you are required to premed for any bone replacements or stents to prevent a bacterial infection from the bacteria being released into your bloodstream from under the gum line.

My dentist has me premed with the four amoxicillin an hour prior since my coiling and my Neurosurgeon was very pleased. It did have something to do with the bacteria in the mouth and metal in the brain