Blurry, double, and overall decrease in vision

My husband’s aneurysm was initially discovered after a trip to the ER for pounding headache periferral vision loss in his left eye. He had EVT on Jan 11th. Only 2 coils at that time. The surgeon said the procedure went great, but he was suspicious. So, he scheduled a 6 week follow-up. My husband’s initial recovery the first week seemed promising. His anyeurism was unruptured, so we’re incredibly thankful. His headache came down to maybe a 1 or 2, or nothing on a scale from one to ten. The following weeks things seemed to worsen. His vision continued to decrease now in both his right and left eye. He experienced sharp stabbing pains behind the eyes. Ultimately, the MRI follow-up reflected his aneurysm was recurring with a little over 50% thrombosed. He didn’t initially need a stent due to the neck was narrow. Upon follow-up his anyeurism had slightly grown and the neck widened. He underwent a 2nd procedure last week on Feb, 28th, and was discharged the 29th. They added 6 coils and a stent. He said it seems as though his vision continues to decrease. His anyeurism is 2.1cm, located between his optic nerves and close to his patuitary. It’s still early in every, but I wondered if anyone had experienced a similar situation themselves or with a loved one. Is there hope he will regain some of his lost vision, or will he sit in limbo for months before knowing if his vision will gradually come back?

2 Likes

Welcome again! I moved your topic to General from Live Chat by the way. Coils do compact. Hopefully the stent will stop all that and it will become occluded. I have a different story since I ruptured but the rupture did affect my vision. I saw beautiful filigree white lights all the time and lost my peripheral vision. But everything eventually settled down and most of my vision has returned. I hope those with unruptured aneurysms can add more. It may be that his brain isn’t quite settled down yet since it’s so soon after his last procedure. Make sure he stays hydrated and eats enough protein to help with the healing process. I can’t stress this enough.

I believe my ophthalmologist had me wait about three or four months after my procedures to have my eyes checked. He was always rescheduling me if my appointment was too close to even just a diagnostic angiogram.

2 Likes

Greetings and welcome, Naydena. Your husband is fortunate to have you caring about him the way that you do. Not everyone has someone as kind and supportive as you are.

Permit me to preempt my few questions with a confession that I am anal when it comes to details. I hope you don’t mind. It has saved me more than gotten me into trouble, though.

Between the time that your hubby first visited the ER and he underwent endovascular surgery via coiling, which tests was he asked to undergo? A CT or CTA? A MRI or MRA? An angiography? (Brain Aneurysm: What It Is, Causes, Symptoms & Treatment)

I ask because a NeuroSurgeon or Interventional NeuroRadiologist is best equipped to perform an endovascular procedure if an angiograhy is included in the series of tests. Or so did my reputable INR inform me before be performed the endovascular surgery procedure in my vacuous brain.

And when you say that “the surgeon said the procedure went great, but he was suspicious”, did he mention the basis or reason for his suspicion? No need to reveal that if it violates any privacy concern of yours, of course.

You also said that “the MRI follow-up reflected his aneurysm was recurring with a little over 50% thrombosed”. Was it an MRI or MRA?. I’ll be undergoing a MRA in a few of months, and my neurologist made sure I knew why he was ordering a MRA and not a MRI. They are different tests that reveal different points of information. And was this the only test that was performed before the second procedure?

Lastly, what do you mean when you said, “his aneurysm was recurring”? Aneurysms either expand or coils contract. Did his doc say which was the case?

If you feel these questions are intrusive, please disregard them. I’m chiefly glad that you found yourself here. God speed.

2 Likes

Hi Naydene,
Rita here. My symptoms did get worse but are slowly getting better. Recently, My double vision has gotten better according to my ophthalmologist visit this past Thursday. My vision was so bad in the hospital, that the patterns on the wall appeared to be “moving on their own” to the right and down and the clock was climbing up to the ceiling. crazy right? Those have stopped. Thank, God.

My angiogram w/ stent and coil was on February 21, 2024 for a 1 cent aneurysm (they called that large) in the basilar artery.

The symptoms FIRST started for me on Sat, Feb 19 when I woke up having a balance issue and double vision… Oh and the crazy ocular migraines… complete with dancing 20 minute halo.
My ophthalmologist sent me for the MRI and CTA because, except for those issues, the eye exam was good. I was transferred from Camden in St Marys to Jacksonville Baptist where I stayed in the ICU for several days. I am using a walker since I still have a balance issue and only slight double vision.

2 Likes