Basilar Artery Aneurysm

Hello I was notified 9:15pm March 11th from my primary doctor that I have an aneurysm. I met with my Neurosurgeon today and scheduled for surgery this Friday for a Basilar Artery Aneurysm - unruptured. I am scared and terrified of surgery but feel so much better now that I’ve met my doctor and his head nurse and administrative support. They have been the reason why I am still sane and being able to put things into perspective. They mean more to me than they will ever know. I’ve got so much to do before Friday. I am in Grad school so I’ve got to cram the next two weeks of work into three days. I want to make sure the house is in order, my kids are doing okay (all adults living out of the house) I worry so much about them. And then my husband. Although he has been my rock these past few weeks I can tell he is worried. Even my dog Charlie (King Charles Cavalier) seems to sense something. This social website has been so helpful to me as I navigate through the wealth of information and read other people’s stories. I am now a member of an elite group and will advocate for research and information awareness of aneurysms. Well, that is all for now. Maybe more tomorrow. I am tired. Good Night!

Welcome to our little world here, glad yo found all of us, we are a rare bunch! what are they going to do? coiling, glue, stents or clips? you must be feeling anxious for what ever they are going to be doing. Nice you found this site first. You are also lucky it hasn’t ruptured and have time, even if short to get things in order, or at least try and make contact with your family. Mine was ruptured, not to easy, no time to do anything but get tot he ER. Your chances are so good and outcome so bright! I well say a prayer for you that things go well, keep us informed and know we are here for you, let us know!

Welcome and blessings for top notch neuros...

Please let us know what will be done...i.e. surgery/clip, gdc coiling, stents, glue, etc...

Those w/ basilar who I know ... had coiling...but everything can vary based on location, size, etc...

My prayers are wrapped around you...

Hi Friends, I’m back. I had my procedure done March 25th - (Endovascular treatment), coiling. What I didn’t expect was complications. I lost 40% of my blood as a result of a punctured artery in the groin area (retroperitoneal haematoma), I think. Because of that I had 3 blood transfusions and a couple extra days in the hospital. I am thankfully home as of Monday but so so tired and nauseous. Stiff neck, constant headaches and bruised abdominal section. I am so anxious to get back to normal. I don’t sleep well at all. Can anyone share some helpful hints to recover better, faster? Thank you, Fabienne

get some sleeping pills from the Dr. or Advil PM you always feel better when you get sleep! get dome peppermint oil and rub on your neck, helps me! Good luck, sending prayers!

good luck, hope all goes well linda

Messed up...and wrote above...sorry...

Rest and Rest and Rest...I was in ICU for over a week...didn't want to tell you ... I too, bled and had blood transfusions...not only bled in artery...but in esophagus...anyways...it was a long journey...but rest is the best way to heal...and take things "moment to moment"...for me...now..."it is a new normal"...

Gotcha in my prayers...Healing thoughts your way...Colleen

Thank you Colleen, :)

Thank you Linda.

Also, Thought of something else...I walked b4 surgery 4 miles a day...and it took me a bit...but I walked in the house everyday...many times aday...then outside ... little by little...I believe rest and then moving the body...slowly getting back to things will help...

I forgot one of the worse...and that is what you are dealing from the bleeding...the body reabsorbing the lost blood...I had such pains in my stomach...but it does happen...

Ok...I am writing a book...you are just on my mind...Hugs Colleen

Wow, the blood loss from the groin is scary. So glad you're home now and hopefully getting more energy . Listen to your body. When you're tired, rest, or you'll pay for it later. Do you know how many coils you have?

You'll just have to adjust to taking things a little slower, but it WILL get better. You're a survivor. Let your husband and your doggy take care of you and enjoy life one day at a time.

Take care of yourself.

Heidi

Hello Heidi,

I am scheduled for a follow-up with my neurosurgeon April 26th. I'll ask him then how many coils were used. During the procedure he spotted another aneurysm but very very small at the based of my brain. I suspect we'll discuss my treatment care for the next five years. Is there anything else I should be asking him when I see him. I have met with my primary doctor already and she put me on cholesterol medication at the direction of my neurosurgeon. I am happy that all of my doctors are working together. Best Regards, Fabienne

Hi Beverly, thank you for the recommendation of sleeping pills, unfortunately my doctor told me I can no longer take Advil or Aleve. Taking naps is an option and believe it or not I have taken a few. Thanks!

Colleen, you hit it right on the nose reference the reabsorbing of the blood. Thanks for the words of encouragement. By the way, what is the title of the book you are writing?

Yes, the blood reabsorbing was very painful for me after my rupture. Settled in my lower back and spinal cord while still in ICU, but once I got up and moving, it did help.

Oh that sounds so confusing...I am not writing a book...meant...I am long~winded...you may ask one question and I answer with a book...sorry for sounding so confusing...

You are so kind...have a great afternoon...and remember "one step at a time..." Hugs Colleen

Hugs, prayers, good thoughts…all coming your way.

Fabienne...I don't know how I missed this weeks ago...

How /where did you lose 40% of your blood; i.e. internally or externally? I am trying to even imagine retropreritoneal...When I thought of potential blood loss in the groin...where we're covered with some kind of patch; i.e. Syvek or a Perclose...that related to bleeding externally...(welll, at least that is what I thought)

I hope you are sleeping better...all recovery takes time...and, w all have same / similar..and heaven knows by major complication differences. Prayers to you...

Oh...this site confuses me...I was doing a reply to your former input on the blood loss...and, it posts here...

Yes, ask the fequency, percentage ofthe blood loss you experienced...and, ask about the second aneurysm diagnosed; i.e. where it is located; i.e. on the basilar; or a vertebral or?

Fabiennce, where are you located? You may have shared this all long ago and I missed it...

Prayers wrapped around you as you have this follow-up...I am impressed that this neuro is having a follow-up with you...