Angiogram incision site discomfort

Hi there everyone. I’m new here. Aneurysm found incidentally a month ago. Am going to have coiling. Had an angiogram 4 days ago. After about 48 hours I felt great and was probably overdoing it. I was sitting on the floor wearing pants that were pressing down on the angioseal when suddenly I had horrific pain in that leg. Pulling, cramping, tugging. Felt maybe like a giant charley horse but in my groin/thigh area. Since then I’ve been taking it really easy and only wearing really loose pants or shorts, which has helped a lot. Still hurts, but manageable. The swelling in that area is a little bigger than a quarter, but no bruising or discoloration. . I’ve read a lot of people’s comments about angioseals on here. Anyone had a similar pain? I just want to avoid it happening again, especially with the coiling procedure coming up. The doctor I called that night said to just “ride it out” so that’s what I’m trying.
Thanks for any feedback! :slight_smile:

I've had 2 angiograms. I had difficulty walking for over a week the first time. The muscle just seemed to pull funny if I took my normal long strides (I'm a teacher & only have a short amount of time to get to the restroom between classes.) I also had to be careful about clothing rubbing against the incision site after both angiograms.

My doctors didn't use an angioseal on me. I had to do the 6 hours of lying flat to let it seal up on its own both times.

Karene...expect / anticipate you will get feedback on this...and, by varying brand names...

Some of my records do show they were implanted...other records do not track w/them...

Pat

hi karene!!! me again-lol we have too much in common! Yes i had angioseal where you ripped it off in the shower and the pea sized clot plopped out!!! gross. Do be careful and baby yourself-no sitting on floor, no straining. 4 days you should be getting back to normal real soon. Think of it as practice drill for the coiling- you will do fine, think positive and stay away from negative press~~ take care~~ keep us posted and if you'd like to chat stop by the main chat room or keep writing--its great for the soul!

Ron, was your experience unique to angioseal...or is it common to the other brands of these procedures?

Just curious...I am aware of others who have had difficulties in their healing...

Pat

Rest and don't overdo...keep your legs up when sitting down...I usually have pain for about 2 weeks...and told it is usually more painful for women then men...after my angio's...I all over don't feel too good and found the had way...one needs rest...I get a seal because I have bleeding problems and seems to hurt even more for me...~ Gotcha in my Thoughts ~ Colleen

Thanks. Yes, wearing non-binding pants has made a world of difference! I am also a teacher. :slight_smile:

Thank you. I’ve been taking it easy and it’s getting better every day, so almost ready to cross this off my list of worries! :slight_smile:

Thank you. Resting is helping immensely. :slight_smile:

Thought of another thing Karene....high packs on the site helped relieve the pain and took down the swelling...

Is that ice or heat packs?

hi pat its a clear seal that lessens the time you must lie flat after a angiogram or coiling-it worked great despite my fears of being on warfarin blood thinner, I was afraid to rip it off for fear of an controllable bleed but all went well ! hope you are doing well too so keeping you in thoughts & prayers! I googled the st jude angioseal that I had but apparently they have new products- I didn't recognize any of them!

Ice packs will really help... ... no heat....

Thanks, Ron...

My records of procedures over 18 months reflect both the ordinary Patch and the advanced seals...The seals cost three times as much as the standard patch...However, the timing on the procedure PACU records do not vary...except for the diagnostic angio...as an inpatient...

Can rather expect the particular one you had has been improved / replaced?