6 month angiogram

Well, for all my being anxious about the angiogram it wasn't any trouble. Had it done today and it confirmed I will need more coils in a couple of months but otherwise I think all is ok. Compacted coils are not a good thing of course but I will do whatever needs to be done. I'm happy it's not worse. Neurosurgeon was so busy that was all the info I got out of him or at least that is all I remember! He was scheduled for 5 angiograms can you believe it? I think I was the first. He was supposed to stop to see me in recovery but didn't. I'm not concerned about that since I'll just call tomorrow. But I just wanted to tell anyone who is afraid of the procedure that it wasn't bad. The worst part was when he had to insert the catheter in my artery in my groin. Pain med not quite there yet and a lot of pressure to get it in the artery. Not bad pain. Uncomfortable but tolerable. After that I didn't feel a thing. Even closed my eyes for a little bit. I had a combination of Versed and Fentanyl and that worked very well. Not loopy, no pain. Versed apparently has the affect of producing amnesia so if you experience any discomfort you won't remember it. That's a little disconcerting to me but I've reacted to other anesthesia in a similar way in the past so no big deal. I think whole thing took a hour and that is including the prep from the nurses. The only thing that surprised me was how hot the medication feels when it is injected. I read you might feel a warm sensation but it was more like it was hot. Again, not a horrible sensation or hurtful but I was surprised. And it wasn't felt in my head but in my groin and hands. Anyway, again just wanted to tell anyone who is afraid - and I'm just a big baby with this stuff - not to be afraid. Now on to see how recovery goes.

Thanks for the update. I have to have this done in december and it will be my first conscious angio. what worries me is how do you stay still while they feed the catheter up? I struggle with long dental appts because I get really restless after a while so I'm worried I might try to move and do some damage. so glad you got through it.

Glad your angiogram went well...be sure to rest your leg for the next few days...I am sorry that they must add more coils, but that seems to be so much the norm with coiling...keep us posted...Gotcha in my Thoughts ~ Colleen

I was thinking it was going to be tough for me too but the medication relaxes you so much you aren't anxious at all. Plus your head is resting in this foam donut shaped thing that feels a little like a pillow but your head fits in the donut hole and then they run a piece of tape across your head which keeps your head in place so that does the trick. Surgical tape I guess. Doesn't hurt when they remove it and it's not a hard tape so you don't feel like your totally constrained. :-) I was nervous about being conscious too but that medication combination really works. If you feel anything they can just give you a little more medication. I said in my post the medication felt hot but it's actually the dye that felt hot and again its not painful just unexpected. The sensation only lasts about 15 seconds and that's it. The table you are on is hard and kind of narrow but they had arm rests on both sides so that again wasn't an issue. And thinking more about it, I'm embarrassed to say but I think the surgeon may have had a hard time putting the catheter in my artery because I'm overweight. He had to press down and locate the artery and I'm very ticklish so I thought I was going to be squirmy but it was pretty quick. Just a lot of pressure. I think a thinner person might not be as hard for the surgeon to get to the artery! Anyway, good luck with your angio. I really was a baby but it was over before I knew it and I rested for close to three hours afterwards. Just taking it easy today

Thanks for the details wendy, thats some great information. I'll definitely be asking my surgeon about the medication before I go in for it. Im not real good with keeping still and that was the biggest thing worrying me. have a good rest and thanks so much for posting!

I almost forgot to add that I found a website, www.drfsong.com that does a step by step description of a cerebral angiogram which I found very helpful. The doctor is an interventional neuroradiologist. I know not all online info is reliable but his description fit pretty much what I experienced except I didn't have to hold my breath or anything (or I don't recall it!) He's more detailed on the aftercare than I was given too so I found that helpful as well. The doctors credentials are on the website and looks legit but I'm no expert. Still thought I would share as it eased my mind somewhat but I'm an information junkie. I wish you the best when you have yours done and let everyone know how it goes. I'll be keeping you in my thoughts!

Thanks wendy! and I'll have a read of the link you posted too