Year n half after berry aneurysm partial loss of vision ,is thier any hope of getting my driving licience back?

can anyone hlp as im unsure what the future holds any info would be great,
thanks

Hello Phil

For a comprehensive and easy read on the situation you describe above I refer you to the book titled, “Stroke and The Family: A New Guide”, by Joel Stein, MD. It explains it all there and much more.

Harold Fernández

thanks i will definitely get the book many thanks…
phil mercer

Hi Phil, I do not know all the details of your situation and am not a doctor but will share with you my own personal experience. June 3 2007 I had an aneurysm that ruptured when I was at the grocery store with my husband. They took me to the closest hospital by ambulance where they determined what it was then flew me to the hospital in the city for surgery. My family was all told that the situation was very grave and they didn’t even expect me to to survive the flight to the second hosptial. I had the surgery, then 10 days later another surgery for a shunt. Was in ICU about 2 1/2 weeks,in the hospital 28 days. I do not remember the first 3 weeks. I was blind, could not see anything really for a few weeks. Around the third week had limited vision, fuzzy, blurry, couldn’t even see the tv in my hospital room. I kept saying please get me an eye doctor and glasses and I know then I will be able to see, well, the eye doctor could not give me glasses, he said we needed to let my body absord the blood behind my retinas and then see what permanent damage was done. Well, at my three year checkup with the eye dr in March he was again, amazed for the second year in a row at how much improvement I have experienced. After the healing my body learned how to adapt to the changes and make up for the permanent damage. My left eye is the worst and alone it could not do the job but my right eye has taken over and I am driving, do not even need my glasses for driving any longer. I still have some blurriness and the reading glasses are absolutely necessary. I had perfect vision before the incident. So, my point is don’t give up, keep fighting and pushing yourself. Someone told me when I was in the hospital that my situation had shown them that you never give up. I remind myself of that all the time and just keep pushing. In 2008 I had to have another brain surgery that caused a stroke and has actually left me with more physical challenges than the rupture did. While I am almost at two years for that and everyone tells me the healing is done, that’s ok, the recovery still continues. I don’t know where you live and what the laws are for diving but make sure you have a good eye doctor and even explore alternatives that may be helpful like vision therapy. Good luck, Shelly

Shelly

If you don’t mind me asking but for the knowledge, was your brain surgery in 2008 aneurysm related?

Shelly Schafer said:

Hi Phil, I do not know all the details of your situation and am not a doctor but will share with you my own personal experience. June 3 2007 I had an aneurysm that ruptured when I was at the grocery store with my husband. They took me to the closest hospital by ambulance where they determined what it was then flew me to the hospital in the city for surgery. My family was all told that the situation was very grave and they didn’t even expect me to to survive the flight to the second hosptial. I had the surgery, then 10 days later another surgery for a shunt. Was in ICU about 2 1/2 weeks,in the hospital 28 days. I do not remember the first 3 weeks. I was blind, could not see anything really for a few weeks. Around the third week had limited vision, fuzzy, blurry, couldn’t even see the tv in my hospital room. I kept saying please get me an eye doctor and glasses and I know then I will be able to see, well, the eye doctor could not give me glasses, he said we needed to let my body absord the blood behind my retinas and then see what permanent damage was done. Well, at my three year checkup with the eye dr in March he was again, amazed for the second year in a row at how much improvement I have experienced. After the healing my body learned how to adapt to the changes and make up for the permanent damage. My left eye is the worst and alone it could not do the job but my right eye has taken over and I am driving, do not even need my glasses for driving any longer. I still have some blurriness and the reading glasses are absolutely necessary. I had perfect vision before the incident. So, my point is don’t give up, keep fighting and pushing yourself. Someone told me when I was in the hospital that my situation had shown them that you never give up. I remind myself of that all the time and just keep pushing. In 2008 I had to have another brain surgery that caused a stroke and has actually left me with more physical challenges than the rupture did. While I am almost at two years for that and everyone tells me the healing is done, that’s ok, the recovery still continues. I don’t know where you live and what the laws are for diving but make sure you have a good eye doctor and even explore alternatives that may be helpful like vision therapy. Good luck, Shelly

Donna, the artery that ruptured was my left PICA. The surgeon’s goal was to eliminate that artery completely with the coils, he did not want any blood to continue to flow through the artery. When I had my 1 year angiogram it was determined there was still some blood flowing through the artery, the artery was so diseased that he felt it would rupture again and that another rupture would be fatal. They knew that I would have a stroke by doing this, however, it was actually the better option for my future. They were not able to get the coils to work and used the liquid onyx to block it off. That was August 11, 2008.

Donna Mignone said:

Shelly

If you don’t mind me asking but for the knowledge, was your brain surgery in 2008 aneurysm related?

Shelly Schafer said:

thankyou for sharing shelly i find that your reply to be truly helpful
thank so much…
phil

Shelly Schafer said:

Donna, the artery that ruptured was my left PICA. The surgeon’s goal was to eliminate that artery completely with the coils, he did not want any blood to continue to flow through the artery. When I had my 1 year angiogram it was determined there was still some blood flowing through the artery, the artery was so diseased that he felt it would rupture again and that another rupture would be fatal. They knew that I would have a stroke by doing this, however, it was actually the better option for my future. They were not able to get the coils to work and used the liquid onyx to block it off. That was August 11, 2008.

Donna Mignone said:
Shelly

Shelly Schafer said:

Hey this is an old post, so it’s been closed. How about starting a new post?