Brain aneurysm at 29

Hi everyone! Just an intro to myself. I am 29 years old and I had a ruptured brain aneurysm about 2.5 weeks ago. It was a scary experience but luckily I called 911 and an ambulance took me to the hospital. My parents were home also and they came with me. I gave them quite the scare with the experience. I was in the neuro ICU for 2 weeks before going to a step-down unit. I am now home but feel anxious for the future. I have some minor peripheral vision loss. I had just passed my license exam in August to be a registered nurse and this event has set me back a bit. However, I am thankful that everything else seems to be fine with just some weakness in the legs and arm from being in bed for over 2 weeks. I’m taking it one day at a time but there are moments where I get anxious about the future.
Has anyone else lost their peripheral vision on one side after a ruptured aneurysm? If so, did the vision ever return?
I’m so grateful to have found this group. Reading everyone’s stories and experiences has made me feel like I have people I can talk to on top of the amazing support I’ve received from my friends and family members.

3 Likes

Congratulations on earning your RN! Losing peripheral vision is sure an adjustment. I lost peripheral vision with both eyes and felt like a horse with blinders. It hung around for a couple of years and the return was gradual, but it did return. We learn to adjust to the bumps in life, seems I was always turning my head to sounds. My hearing dramatically improved with my rupture, so much so, the Audiologist was flabbergasted. I think she told me that at my age which was around 55 or 56 at the time, I should be showing hearing loss.

You may want to reach out to an Ophthalmologist and see what they recommend for peripheral vision testing. I think mine wanted to wait for about six months which dragged on to about two years because of my repeated procedures. There’s something about the procedures that made him stall in doing the test. He wanted to give my brain time to heal. When I first started taking the test, I had to sit and click a button when I saw the flashing light. When I went in a month or two ago, they’re now doing another that’s not so annoying with no flashing lights and button to push. It’s really fast in comparison. I will have this one done every year due to one of the meds I’m on for Dermatomyositis.

Remember to rest, drink fluids and eat protein

1 Like

Thank you for sharing your experience! I have an appointment with the eye doctor next week so we’ll see what happens then. It’s nice hearing from people who went through the same thing and knowing it gets better in time.

2 Likes

@rnham
Welcome to our group that no one would like to be a member of. I’m sorry to hear about your rupture. I ruptured almost two years ago, you can read my profile for the whole story. My peripheral vision was never affected, but my Ophthalmologist told me that it is not unusual after a ruptured brain aneurysm.
I do know that everything gets better with time, most of the recovery happens during the first year after the rupture, but it doesn’t stop there. You are young and I do believe that this is your super power. I could be your grandma and I am almost back to my old self, just a little bit more tired and I can live with that. Don’t rush, eat well, rest when you need to, some gentle exercise will do wonders, go for walks if you are able to. The weakness could definitely be a combination of being bedridden for two weeks, maybe some weakness from the injury in the brain as well. I’m sure you know how much muscle strength we loose when we are bedridden. I suppose you got some information how to go forward when you were released from the hospital. I know that everything will get better, you are still so early in your recovery. Congratulations to your RN exam, you will be an excellent nurse! I wish you all the best.

3 Likes

Hello! I also have a vision loss from a ruptured brain aneurysm on my left side. It seems like I may have recovered a little bit of vision and my Neuro vision doctor said that as my brain continues to heal, I will likely regain some more vision, so hopefully the same will be true for you! I am sorry to hear this happened to you, but I think that you will be an even more amazing nurse from going through something like this and you can offer patients a lot of hope or whatever they’re going through if you can be a role model for healing and overcoming

3 Likes

Thank you! I have been slowly regaining some of the lost vision over the past few days. I am going to be seeing a vision therapist this week as well. I am staying optimistic during this time thanks to all the support I have received. Thank you for your words of encouragement. I am taking it slow daily and hoping for the best.

3 Likes

Hi there, I also lost quite a bit of peripheral vision at rupture. Gained a good amount back so slowly that I am not even certain when it actually returned. It was most definitely measured in months not days though.

1 Like