When do go in to the hospital or not

I have an unruptured aneurysm behind my right eye. My headaches have been getting worse and this week I have a very weird pressure behind my nose and in my head. I went to see the eye doctor for intermittent double vision (when reading) and she suggested I go to the hospital if my head pain gets worse. Is this pain something you just live with...It just feels like a slightly worse headache than normal...but enough to make me cry.

She wants my next scheduled mri pushed up and also to see an opthoneurologist...that is fine. Just wondering at what point did you go to emergercy with a bad headache. This is not the typical thunderclap headache as described online. Not that bad.

I think you are always better safe than sorry, and any decent medical facility should be 100% understanding of your condition and your legitimate fear. If you have, as you do, a diagnosis of an unruptured aneurysm and are experiencing strong symptoms, I don't think anyone would ever judge you for needing to have that checked out as a case of emergency. If everything is "fine", as it probably is, you may feel a little silly, but you'll get information and a degree of peace of mind from whatever scanning they do in the ER to rule out a bleed.

I would certainly, 100% go to the ER if your symptoms change or worsen, but also I would not feel bad in your situation for going if the symptoms just prolong as they are, and are causing you deep stress and worry.

From my own experience, the thunderclap headache was profound and could not be missed... it was genuinely unbearable to the point where I wanted to just remove my whole head to stop the pain! BUT, I have read that not everyone presents with as crystal clear a headache as a rupture symptom, especially if a small leak is involved. If you are in doubt, I'd definitely advise to go let them be 100% sure that everything is ok.

I agree with Bruce. If you have a headache that is worse than normal and is enough to make you cry, it is probably bad enough to be seen. If you are anything like the rest of us you have built up quite a tolerance for headaches and one that makes you cry, would probably bring someone to their knees that normally doesn't have headaches. Listen to your eye doctor, she did say if it gets worse to go to the hospital. I would hate for you to wait too long and have a full on rupture. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

~ Carol

At which point should you consider going to the ER? I'd wager to say that NOW is a good time ! You already know you've got an aneurysm, and you don't have to have the 'thunderclap headache' (I had no headaches on my 2nd aneurysm, just one hard blow of intense pain--dropped me and I was out cold for the next 6 weeks) So don't be fooled by having to have the headache from hell! the pressure you describe sounds like your annie could be growing and pressing against nerves (my 1st annie grew so much one night that the pressure snapped my 3rd optic nerve in half) --go to the ER, you've nothing to lose at all, but plenty to lose if your annie ruptures.

Peace, Janet

I agree with Janet. I did not have the thunder clap headache. I had what felt like everything being drained from my head. Then I passed out, fell to the ground, and stopped breathing. I do not remember anything for the next 2 weeks then and still just bits n pieces of each day. I would go to the er ryght now if I were you.

VJ

I think if you double vision is getting worse with worsening headaches it suggests increasing size of the aneurysm. It is possible it is now pressing on the nerves which move the eye. I think it would be wise to bring your MRI forward and suggest you contact your neurosurgeon to discuss the worsening symptoms. Judith

Any Doubts...please seek medical attention...if nothing the ER can take care of your headache with meds...mine was not a thunderclap...mine was just the worse...and I felt like I could hit my head into the wall...you know your body...go get checked out...worried...~ sending some prayers your way ~ Colleen

Hi there! sorry I missed this but the others gave good sound advice. Hopefully its just a sinus infection like I had, it felt like being stabbed with a rusty knife everytime I coughed or God forbid a sneeze. This was the worse pain I ever experienced- I had no headache that I recall during my sah rupture, nausea and fighting a fainting spell is all I remember. Let us know, please. Keeping you in thoughts & prayers~