Just Diagnosed many questions

Hi Everyone...I was just diagnosed with a aneurysm behind my left eye. I was getting terrible headaches/dizziness/vomiting that put me down over the last year. I was told I had migraine but was sent to get an MRI and then the test with the dye...that was when I was told that I had this.

I guess I was so confused in the doctors office that I just didn't asked the right, if not any question until I got online to see what this was. Now I'm totally baffled and scared. I'm scheduled to see a neurosurgeon on the 16th of Sept. I have no idea what size it is or if I definately have to get surgery (why would he send me to a surgeon). Can any one help me with this? I see my family doctor on Tues.

I also live alone in the middle of no where and if I must get this surgery will I be able to take care of myself after. I have no family member, husband passed and friends live in different states. I'm getting stressed out and shave my head!! Yikes!

Also...how do I know if it is ruptured or unruptured. From what I read and the symptoms I had I feel it ruptured! I guess I'll know soon.

Any feed back would be appreciated. Lily

When you see the neurosurgeon he will let you know whether or not you need surgery, just because you are seeing one does not necessarily mean you will have to be operated on, it will depend on what the neurosurgeon feels is best for you because everyone is different. He will likely decide by size, shape, location, etc. Also there are 2 different ways that they usually use to operate, 1 is coiling, it is a much less invasive surgery, and then there is craniotomy where they actually go through the skull, if you have to be operated on the neurosurgeon will go over both of these with you and let you know which is the better option for you. If you do have to have the craniotomy you may not have to have your head shaved, that is another that depends on the surgeon, some don't shave at all, some just shave at incision and some shave all the way. Between now and your NeuroSurge appt. write down any questions you have or can think of so that you have it in front of you when you go in there, it does help you to get the answers you need.

A ruptured aneurysm has bled out, an unruptured one has not. If you had a ruptured aneurysm they say it is the absolute worst headache of your life, my aneurysm didn't rupture so I can't explain in great detail, only what I was told to look out for which is the Thunderclap headache, they told me alot of people feel like they got shot in the head or hit with a bat and it comes out of nowhere, sitting there fine one moment and then bam there's the headache. With the headache you can get a stiff neck and vomiting. A ruptured aneurysm is an immediate medical emergency.

This is all just what I was informed when I was going through this, like I said your Neurosurgeon will be the best person to get information cuz he'll know exactly what's going on with your case.

Good luck to you, I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers and I hope this helped you out a little bit.

~Cheri

HI LILY,

IM JUST GUESSING UR ANNY HASNT RUPTURED, BECAUSE IF IT DID BOY WOULD U KNOW...THUNDERCLAP IS THE HEADACHE WE REFER TO AS THE FEELING THAT COMES OVER UR HEAD,,,THE ANXIETY U MUST BE FEELING, BUT KEEP N MIND IF IT WAS SOMETHING THAT NEEDED IMMEDIATE ATTN UR DR WOULD OF HAD U RUSHED OVER TO HAVE IT TAKEN CARE OF FOR SURE..ALSO REMEMBER U CAN ALWAYS CALL HIM BACK AND GET THE SPECIFICS ON SIZE,EXACT LOCATION...GOD WILL LOOK OVER YOU N NOT LEAVE URSIDE WHEN U NEED HIM MOST..

I HAD A 5MM ANNY RUPTURE AT AGE 41...I HAD A 2 WK STAY AT BAYLOR HOSPITAL OF DALLAS..THE 1ST TWO OF THOSE NITES MY 21 YR OLD DAUGHTER WAS BY MY SIDE, WHILE MY HUSBAND N SON N GRAND DAUGHTER STAYED HOME..AFTER COMING HOME IT WAS PRETTY SLOW MOVING,ALOT OF NAPS N SNACKING FOODS...DR SAIDV1 DAY AT A TIME,NO RUSHING N IF IT FEELS WRONG THEN DONT DO IT..I WISHED I LIVED CLOSER, I WOULD LOVE TO HELP U DURING UR RECOVERY...IM IN DALLAS TEXAS...THE HOSPITAL SHOULD BE ABLE TO OFFER SOME AFTERCARE IF NEEDED..N IF ANY FAMILY MEMBERS R ABLE TO STAY A COUPLE OF DAYS THAT WOULD BE GREAT,,JUST N CASE U NEED IT...IM KEEPING U N MY PRAYERS HUNNY,,,STAY STRONG N KNOW OUR LORD HAS UR BACK...DONT HESITATE TO CALL IF U HAVE FURTHER QUESTIONS, OR DROP A LINE...214-290-4138...MICHELLE,IM A SURVIVOR AND A NEW ME...LOVIN MY LIFE;)

Hi Lily,

I do understand your concerned. It's tough when you are diagnosed with something you don't know much about it. On top of that, reading on the internet or books at times, make it even more scary. If you have a ruptured aneurysm, surgery will be right away. I had ruptured aneurysm, with another one budding and hydrocephalus. I had the same symptoms you've been having and then some. Unfortunately, the doctors didn't pay attention to me until it ruptured. With so many question in your mind, write down all your question so when you meet the neurosurgeon, you can get answers. Do you have copies of your MRI for the surgeon?

From my perspective, if you have craniotomy, it will be hard for you to take care of yourself. Again, everybody is different but from with me, assistance had to be there for months. With that said, first see the Neurosurgeon and base on what he/she saids, you make your decision from there. You are in my prayers and keep us posted.

This website is very good so if you have any questions, feel free to ask and we will do our best to share our opinion.

Thank you so much for your responses. I have read alot on this website and found everything so helpful. I feel so foolish not asking questions while I was at the doctors office. As far as calling as asking questions I think I'll just wait until Tues until I see my family doc. I call my neurologist before and never got call backs and remember my last visit he did tell me "you won't be needing to see me any longer". Perhaps I don't even need anything don't with this. All he said to me was "did you know you have an aneuryms behind the left eye?" and continued to tell me he was sending me to a neurosurgeion. I read that you should continue to have a neurologist due to the fact you my have one again. So I am confused about that statement. Maybe they are just going to "watch". So frustrating. If I go in for surgery I will have to find someone through the hosp to come here. I live on a farm with 8 animals who need care and I am the one who does it. God I'm hoping I don't need this surgery now or later. Thanks again you all were so brave!

Lily

Also…grandmother had 2 and great aunt had one…

well the surgeon will look and tell you what you need to do, some dont require treatment and some do. As far as afterward everyone has different outcomes and you cant go that far yet, your whole head wont be shaved calm down just a bit and it will grow back.Don’t make matters harder by flipping out be happy they found it because ruptures like mine are harder recovery. I found my family dr to be of no help but do inform you have this and what the plans are. If it was ruptured you wouldnt be typing you will be soooo sick and in so much pain. keep in touch.

Lily,

Let's not put the cart in front of the horse just yet. Your Neurosurgeon may have all sorts of options to help you. Now might be a good time to start getting your self organized with all the documents you will need to protect yourself. Call your county social services and ask what assistance they might be able to provide and suggest. Approach this from a position of strength and can do spirit. It will help you immensly. If you need a list of documents you should have, let me know and I'll get you some information. Good luck and God Bless!

Lily, it's OK to flip out and get rattled. Everyone who has gone through this diagnosis and did not have a rupture, goes through what you are going through right now. You have so many questions at this point and no answers and that is stressful and anxiety rises. Yes, the lucky ones are spotted and treated if necessary but awaiting what comes next is hard. Living with this, having to deal with the diagnosis and treatment plans is hard. No question. Feeling happy that they found it, is just not where you are right now. In time though, you will be. Try your best to keep a positive attitude, as best as you can. It helps soooo much. Take things one day at a time and cross the bridges as they get here. With you living alone, responsible for 8 animals, the house and everything I'm sure it must be overwhelming at the moment because you have no clarification and the medical plans are just beginning. Write down all of your questions for every Dr's appointment, write down the answers if no one is with you so that you can refer to your notes afterwards. Your hair is not important right now because you don't know what the surgeon will want to do or not do. The proper medical attention is all that matters. One day and one bridge at a time. :-)

Keep us posted and keep your chin up!

Tina