What would you do?

Long story as short as I can make it.....

Have been suffering (and I do mean SUFFERING) from daily headaches- both migraines and tension combination headaches for several months. Have tried neurontin, zanaflex, verapamil, sertaline,& cymbalta for prevention with no improvement. I treat these headaches with ice, rest (as much as possible), fioricet, vicodin, valium and maxalt with little relief.

After a battle with insurance I have been approved for Botox with my first treatment being September 4th. Here's the thing.... I started acupuncture last Wednesday and it's been like a complete miracle. I have not had a headache in DAYS!!!

So, do I still get the botox and continue the acupuncture, or do I forgo the Botox?

I can get two treatments of botox before the end of the year at no cost. I have already prepaid 12 treatments of acupuncture (my insurance does not cover it).

My acupuncturist says don't get the botox. My neurologist says get it and continue with the acupuncture too.

What would you do?

thanks for the input-

Cordie

Hi Cordie!

Firstly, I am very pleased to hear you've got some relief with the acupuncture having such good results. While it is completely your decision on what to do, if it were me, I would certainly go with the approach of getting the botox as well as the acupuncture. Both treatments have different mechanisms of action, so they shouldn't conflict in any way. And both are very very low risk treatments on the whole (bit more with the botox, but any complications are generally mild and most importantly temporary!) In this case, I think it won't hurt to follow both treatments since both are effectively authorised/paid for already and both should be beneficial to you.

Good luck!

B.

Hi Cordie,

My wife face a similar situation although she wasn't approved for Botox but she is having some success with EEG based biofeedback. So far she is going to stick with the biofeedback because it make sense with respect to her symptoms. The tough situation for you is not knowing which one worked better or is best. Wish I could better help you.

Ed

Continue with the accupuncture...and for now forsake the Botox treatments.(..That would be my game plan I think) no headaches now?? If it ain't broke don't fix it !! Glad to hear such a success story -- awesome !

Peace, Janet