Supplements, could they optimize outcomes?

After patioplans posted her “strokestop” discussion it got me thinking, what could we do pre and post surgery to optimize outcomes.

It seems to me based on postings that some patients have no problems during and post surgery while others have multiple issues. What factors optimize outcomes?

I would like to avoid having a stroke pre, during and post surgery. I don’t have high BP and my cholesterol level is 239, but I am not sure if this is enough to protect me from stroking out. I am taking vitamin C daily, but I have recently read that only the whole kind, cyruta, or fresh citrus heals and cleans arteries and veins. It is my assumption that clean arteries are important to a successful outcome. And keeping plaque from forming post surgery, especially if you have a stent, is equally important post surgery.

Are there supplements that heal nerves?

Are there supplements to promote brain health?

re: fresh citrus...I put lemon juice (organic/bottled...so no fuss...) all day long...just a few drops per glass...

The hubby of a long-term friend (since 3rd grade!)...told me several years back...that our mothers/grandmothers...began the morning water w/organic vinegar...like one tablespoon in 8 oz glass.

Started talking w/other long term friends...the daughter of one, now at 50 years, is still having vinegar water in the morning...that she learned from her grandmother...

So many of us talked our history...we remembered as children...before all the sunscreens, etc...if we had some sunburn...our mothers would dampen towels in vinegar water to put over the redness...

As to your question on the outcomes of pre and post-procedure....some are also during-procedures...when angio must be abruptly stopped...which in itself can bring on a chapter or two... hey, this all could be changed into mystery stories...

Patio,

I have half a lemon squeezed into pineapple juice every morning. I also add a teaspoon of organic gelatin. My fingernails have never been better, hopefully this is can be interpreted that the gelatin is helping me internally as well.

Taking vinegar water is a great idea, especially as we get older, because our stomach acid production usually lessens.

I started taking rutin because of CRPS. I read that it helped with fibro pain so I figured it might help me. It turns out rutin helps veins.

What I hoped to find is that someone here was advised to take certain supplements to support their cardiovascular health. I am astounded that no one has posted.

Campanile..

I use the Sambozan (sp?) ..green juice...veggies w/apple juice...when I use my psyllium..

You've jogged more memory...family was told to give me psyllium on d/c...it was so yukky... I refused to drink it... After I was able (to think?)...I did get the organic ground and in seed form to sprinkle over salad etc.. the basis for my story of the green veggie juice... Anyone would need to sample a very small amount of anything...(well, except for prescriptions!) to check any reactions...

A long-term friend (diagnosed w/MS b4 age 40)...twice was put on a "new" drug...both times she had reactions...put back on the original... Over these years, she has made her own decision to go off / on (prescription)... she knows when to go back on by her symptoms...her only visible symptoms are the rheumatoid arthritis in her hands and feet...and, the importance in her shoe selection...and to some extent 'coordination'...

Now...my reason for this...she is a big promoter of fermented/kraut...fresh/raw...she is the one who got my initial interest in it some time back...Recently (last year +/-s?)...the fermented ....have been in presentations on PBS...a/w/a as probiotics...and, the explanations of them...which I think I failed to mention to Vicki and the others w/GI issues...to possibly expand their questions to their doctors...

Patio,

I am not fond of psyllium either, I prefer Chia seeds. I make a Chia gel which can be added to puddings, yogurt. I even put it in vegetable juice with a sprinkle of kelp flakes

You are right sauerkraut that is naturally fermented, without vinegar, is an easy way to get probiotics. I once made it with red cabbage, it was delicious and really easy to make, but when the crock got knocked over in my fridge it made an ungodly mess.

I wish someone with cardiovascular knowledge would chime in, because it seems to me that optimizing our cardiovascular health would benefit everyone involved in aneurysm surgery.

Error

Hi... try searching (if you have not)... cardiovascular anatomy and physiology ...

because I was probably in that type of search when I found strokeSTOP...of which I am so pleased...tho I have yet to read / re-read a number of issues...my memory portions (lack there of...) and, tracking my med records composition to it...

Campanile said:

Patio,
I am not fond of psyllium either, I prefer Chia seeds. I make a Chia gel which can be added to puddings, yogurt. I even put it in vegetable juice with a sprinkle of kelp flakes

You are right sauerkraut that is naturally fermented, without vinegar, is an easy way to get probiotics. I once made it with red cabbage, it was delicious and really easy to make, but when the crock got knocked over in my fridge it made an ungodly mess.

I wish someone with cardiovascular knowledge would chime in, because it seems to me that optimizing our cardiovascular health would benefit everyone involved in aneurysm surgery.

Campanile...when I was searching some data... I started viewing data on veins...

...came across: Veins in the cardiovascular system: www.aireurbano.com | human anatomy ...

and got an image that shows the veins from head to toe...

You may have already done all of this...I so know how I never thought/iamgiend about the proximity of the veins to our arteries...

hi! i take coq10 and magnesium and b's , c's and d's, thanks for asking- i was just wondering if all this is helping?? nothin like poppin a dozen pills everyday!-lol

oddly enough i read scary internet articles stating b12 can erode the linings of veins, when i asked the dr he just sneered naaaaa???

We need a leader, someone in authority to guide us.

I cannot take folic acid, because of my DNA, all it does in my body is circulate without getting into my cells. Methylfolate is what I can take. Unfortunately folic acid is added to too many food products. I have never read that b12 can erode vein linings, I will research this. Tky

Campanile...isn't folate the natural source in foods? And, folic acid is a synthetic?

Campanile said:

We need a leader, someone in authority to guide us.

I cannot take folic acid, because of my DNA, all it does in my body is circulate without getting into my cells. Methylfolate is what I can take. Unfortunately folic acid is added to too many food products. I have never read that b12 can erode vein linings, I will research this. Tky

Yes, patio.

the dr seemed to indicate it was not a reputable or accurate source? careful researching, theres a lot of rubbish on the internet, no use scaring ourselves silly like i did, tc xoxo

Ronk,

I love researching, I try to focus on the most up to date postings on well regarded medical sites. Unfortunately, the information even on these sites is conflicting.