Supplements?

What kind of supplements do you take to enhance memory, focus and/or concentration?

Thanks!

Thanks for asking this - I would love to hear what doctors recommend for their patients. I was just referred for neuropsychological testing for my memory, concentration, etc. problems, but I will not be seen and tested until March and April. Have you had these done?

Sherri

No, I had some testing done by the occupational therapist but nothing really formal, I know my memory is terrible and my concentration is bad as well. I'm hoping someone here will talk about their experiences.

As far as supplements go, recommendations are fine, but because supplements react with medications and may be inappropriate for some folks who have other health conditions, please get your doctor's approval before trying anything new. For instance, fish oil supplements and magnesium supplements could be helpful to some, but may raise the bleeding risk in others.

I’m a big believer in healing through food. I have a smoothie every morning with blueberries, spinach, banana, hemp protein(w/omega3),and almond milk. Aside from the omegas, berries have improved memory in studies. All the other vitamins and antioxidants can only help.

I would like to echo Dancermom on concerns with supplements. Many can counteract medication or enhance medication which can throw your system for a loop. I take Magnesium prescribed by a neurologist. However, if I was still taking the 81 mg of aspirin for my heart, I would not be allowed the magnesium. Even with the magnesium if I wanted to take a pain pill, Naproxyn, I would have to limit to no more than one pill twice in a week. I am allowed no aspirin.

I have done psych testing aka psych assessments. If you know any SWs in your area ask who they prefer and if they work with adults. Some therapists are better or more thorough with their interpretations.

Moltroub, I am on MagOx (400 mg magnesium) and 325 mg. aspirin also. All my doctors are aware of my magnesium which I need to help prevent severe cramping (along with joint,muscle benefits) because of other ailments. No one, including my neurosurgeon, has told me I cannot take these. I have been having headaches lately (unusual for me, thank heavens) and have had to take ibuprofen occasionally also, although I just finished a round of prednisone that made me feel so much better!

I do agree with you and Dancermom that whatever is taken needs to be known by all your doctors.

Moltroub, I am not sure what you meant by your last paragraph - you mentioned that you had psych testing done and then alluded to Social Workers. The neuro psych testing I am having is for memory and cognitive issues that I have been having, which has nothing to do with SW (although I do love a good Social Worker!).

Lol Sheri - as a once for many years SW, we knew the more reputable psychologists. If you know one, they can guide you to someone who has experience with Neuro issues. You will probably take the Wechsler Adult IQ assessment. I think it’s up to IV now. It will measure the cog issues. If they have you take the MMPI thats a personality inventory which looks for mental health issues. The Wechsler should be done in stages, couple hours a day. The psychologist should also have a “cheat book” that will help interpret either/both for personal health issues such as rupture, cancer, etc. Three of my friends along with myself have had to take both the Wechsler and the MMPI. The three were getting stomach reduction surgery. One of the friends went to a more inexperienced therapist and was almost committed lol! She had to go to a therapist. One visit and the therapist said she was fine. Our life experiences, jobs all effect the assessments. A good therapist will know this in my opinion.

I wonder if I can’t have the aspirin any more because of the month long vasospasms? I’ll have to ask. Thanks!

Vicky, I found this and although not supplements it does address memory hope it gives you some ideas…
http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-living/healthy-aging/in-depth/memory-loss/art-20046518

Moltroub, I was referred to this psychologist who specializes in memory and cognitive issues. The first appt. is a 1 1/2 hour interview. The 2nd appt. is testing from 9:30 till 2:30 with lunch between. I also was pre-screened beforehand by his office to make sure that I was a patient "who might benefit from seeing this doctor". I have no idea the name of the test I will be given - from what you said it could certainly be the Wechsler. They are not looking at mental health issues now.

I have had memory issues since age 46 when I started taking Tamoxifen for breast cancer. I had hoped that after quitting Tamo 4 yrs later that my memory would become better, but it didn't (the well known chemo fog). Since my brain surgery, it has further declined and I am hoping for some answers.

Sherri, my partners mom had a double radical mastectomy a couple decades or so ago. She also had issues with memory in the beginning from her chemo, all the meds. I kid you not, she played solitaire, word games and such to help her memory. She did these doodles with words related to work, family and friends while she was on the phone. They looked like memory trees to me. Her memory did improve, but as with all things it took work. She also noticied that the days she went for a walk when she was able, her memory was better. She also knew what every Walmart bag contained at Christmas and rarely misplaced a gift. Knowledge is our first defense I think. I hope the Psychologist has some answers and maybe some tricks to share on improving memory. The most recent studies indicate the brain can keep learning and overcome some deficiencies no matter our age. Your responses and discussions ensure me that you are a wonderfully bright, intelligent, considerate woman. The world can use more of you!

It may very well be the Wechsler Adult Intelligence Scale. It’s quite popular. I had mine a month or two ago, maybe three…can’t remember the exact month, but it wasn’t long ago. The first appointment was with me, my partner and the Dr. He took history, immediately observed my photophobia and doused the lights. He took as much time speaking with my partner as he did with me. We both appreciated it. He had me do about two hours of assessment in the morning as this is when I’m at my best. He was actually the one who taught me to ask people to turn off the lights. He never pushed me and when he noticed my speech faltering, we stopped for the day. I was exhausted each day and slept for hours when I got home. He made sure I was not driving. I only drive within a three mile radius of our home and only on two lane roads. I actually had fun and frustration doing this assessment despite the exhaustion. There were a few times I would have to remember to do deep breathing because I would stress myself out. It took two or three weeks after the assessment was completed for him to review his findings with us and send the letter to my Neurosurgeon.