Magnesium, Vitamin D and Fish Oil

Nothing like being almost fully recovered from my craniotomy and then suffer a concussion in a motor vehicle accident.

The doctors told me to take Magnesium, Vitamin D3 and Fish Oil. From what I’ve read it helps folks with concussions and that got me thinking and then got me kind of mad. Why didn’t they suggest I take this after my craniotomy?

CRS... perhaps they checked those vitamins before., during and /or after?

Yes, that is a question of mine...not one of 'confidence'...

And, the usual annual blood tests... you have to get your docs to special order D, B and, (blanking iacronym)...the one on pituitary/thyroid..

Some docs (trust me on this one) ...like PCPs...sometimes will refuse them and give a patient several run-arounds...back/forth to the labs...yah-de-yah...

Thus, you may want to secure your blood test records...

And, I beg/plead you to ask your neuro-docs...and share their info with us...and...thank you...in advance....

Sorry to hear about your accident! I guess it depends on the doctor...mine said NO fish oil.

Harlylena....hi Stranger....Why did your doc say NO to fish oil? That is of interest to me...

And, how are you?

My neurosurgeon told me no fish oil two weeks prior to surgery because it acts like a blood thinner. As always, consult your doctor.

I am always asking my family doctor, “What about this or that?”. And I am not afraid to tell him, “Don’t even write the prescription, I won’t take it. Find something else.” He’s been my doc for almost 30 years. Finding a doc that is open to all forms of treatment is a blessing. :slight_smile:

CRS...thanks...you jogged my brain cells...Then, why do they keep so many on Plavix (others?) ..if basic fish oil could keep our blood thin?

Does that bring more questions to ask the 'docs'...especially the neuro-docs?

You are blessed w/a long-term MD...I can so remember...when my ob/gyn took care of everything..and, would do any needed referrals...Now we're run again and again thru a PCP...

careful with supliments especially fish oil, my krill oil co. really condemns the fish oil, i was skeptical at first but the experts all agree in that the cheap fish oils contain metals and are rancid, check out this you tube https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PL31285365ABE004F0&v=bkGoZWn8rkA#t=544

Ron, I put a break between you tube and the address so the link would work. And here I just make sure to keep fish and nuts in my diet.

I was also taken off fish oil after rupture. My neurologist put me on magnesium oxide. Following my doctor’s orders and dietician suggestions helped me a lot. Perhaps different injuries require different treatments?