Should I be concerned

I go to Cleveland clinic once a year for check up concerning my fibromuscular dyplas. Telling my doctor there that I had an auto accident and dizziness, she ordered a MRA. I was called later and told I had a small aneurysm. Coming back to Georgia my primary doctor did not seem concern. Should I get a second opinion here? Should I be concerned?

Hello Ginger(snap) Cute name by the way!

YES, I would get another opinion -- for sure. Your personal doc may not think you having a 'small aneurysm' is a big deal --(however I don't know why he would think this is a 'no big deal' situation !)

You need to deal with a qualified Neurosurgeon--an MRA with Contrast is a good test yet the AngioGram with Contrast is THEE test to get in order to ascertain what is really happening with your annie--and a growing annie is one that causes concern for its believed that if its growing, the liklihood of a rupture is stronger.G ood luck to you and Peace , Janet

Again Welcome ... and yes...you need to see a Neurosurgeon ... who can read the MRA and give all information...to you...Jo and Janet...gave you great advice...~ Colleen

Thanks for your reply. I am seeing a new doctor tomorrow. I will ask him to refer to neuro surgeon. Thanks it is comforting to know someone cares

Thanks. A second opinion will help me fill better. Thanks

Gingersnap

I'm so glad to hear you're going to see a Neurosurgeon. Ask tons of questions, bring someone along with you maybe as its easy to get lost in the haze when they're talking about YOUR brain! Keep us posted ! Peace, Janet

Hi gingersnap you have come to the right place for information. Second opinions yes yes and yes! Mine was small around 3 mm. I bled twice it was a SAH. My pcp says after in an office visit "oohhh they were just little guys" yea ok Im glad they were not bigger...that little one caused so much pain i can't imagine how much worse a bigger one would be.

Hello ginger snap,

My brother, sister, and I were diagnosed with brain aneurysms and have been treated.

Initially, when I first was informed that I had an aneurysm, I was quite concerned. I felt that my life had changed. And, for 5 and a half months, I was preoccupied by thinking about it almost non-stop. Needless to say, a lot of stress.

What really helped me was finding the right doctor, who was able to explain in detail the size, location and his recommendation for treatment and the fact that he was well qualified and had performed hundreds of these procedures. That gave me the confidence to proceed by having the coiling procedure after I spoke to two other doctors. Additionally, it was my posting on this site that led me to the doctor who treated me. Thank you, Tony P.

What is important is to find out the size of the aneurysm, it’s location, whether the aneurysm has a defined neck, and whether it can be successfully coiled. My aneurysm was 7mm on the anterior communicating artery with somewhat of a neck. I can tell you that for both my sister and I, we decided to proceed with the coiling procedure. Immediately after the procedure, even while in the recovery room, I felt this great relief of stress as I was not leaving this to chance (in case of rupture).

If I can answer any questions, please let me know.

My very best,

Ptr